Removing AHCI option rom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing AHCI option rom?

Changed cables around? Sounds like you may have moved the OS drive to a Non Intel AHCI port maybe, are you sure you didn't?

What is your exact issue, and what ports do you have the OS drive connected to? Also, you installed windows 7 SP1 new, or just the update of SP1 on your already running OS?

Comment

I too, have a bug. Not all that familiar with the Bios stuff but here's the issue. I've been having issues with the computer going to a blue screen then locking up. I first thought it would be an issue with the drive. I ran chkdsk and virus software on it but it all came up clean. Then an option, I noticed was coming up during reboot, Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what it said but asked something about turning on the AHCI option, so I did. Well, now, not only won't it resart, it won't let me back into the Bios settings to reverse or reset anything. It now goes into a Scanning drives mode and ends with an odd error line "Something wrong with your hardware. Do you have any idea of what's going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Amadorhe View Post
        I too, have a bug. Not all that familiar with the Bios stuff but here's the issue. I've been having issues with the computer going to a blue screen then locking up. I first thought it would be an issue with the drive. I ran chkdsk and virus software on it but it all came up clean. Then an option, I noticed was coming up during reboot, Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what it said but asked something about turning on the AHCI option, so I did. Well, now, not only won't it resart, it won't let me back into the Bios settings to reverse or reset anything. It now goes into a Scanning drives mode and ends with an odd error line "Something wrong with your hardware. Do you have any idea of what's going on? Any help would be much appreciated.
        Have you tried clearing the bios??? Try clearing the bios either via jumper or button on the back for clr cmos.

Please When stating a problem please specify your motherboards make and model along with what bios version you are using.

If a quick clear does not work try a extended clear. Remove the power cord from the power supply leave the jumper on the clr cmos for 20min - 24hrs. then try again.
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Lsdmeasap confirmed that it was possible to remove the AHCI module on his P55 system:

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Flash went fine, I'm in windows now from the modified BIOS, but the AHCI ROM fails to load. I use RAID mode with a single SSD, so the AHCI ROM screen was skipped and just the RAID screen showed, then windows.

I did try AHCI mode, and it doesn't work. Well at least disks are not visible in the BIOS disk priority screen and since no AHCI ROM Screen loaded I assumed it would be a waste of time trying to load windows that way.

But yes, if you want to remove the ROM you can! Just use single non-member RAID mode for AHCI instead, that's how I always run anyway.
          Can anyone confirm what the correct procedure to do this is? AFAIK I would either need to remove the AHCI module using CBROM, or overwrite it with null data using a hex editor. On the board in question (GA-EP45-DS4) the AHCI module is inserted above the MINIT module, which cannot be relocated. As such I believe the latter option is necessary? The board has Dual-Bios but it has never worked for me, I'd prefer to get it right the first time then have to pull the BIOS chip to correct it.

Comment

Working...
          X