Removing AHCI option rom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing AHCI option rom?

Ya RAID is the same as AHCI when using single drives, so you'd be fine using that if you need to.

I'll test on X58 later today if I get time and see how it goes.

As for windows scanning the AHCI I don't think it would happen, I didn't try by it looked like booting to windows wouldn't have worked since the AHCI ROM failed the drives weren't even visible in the BIOS.

Comment

LSD: Just wanted to remind you, you can't simply add the AHCI Option ROM, but you'll need to change the PCIR header for the particular vendor/device id of the ICH in question and fix the checksum. I can probably help you modify the 1.20E from your board if you need me to.

Comment

I always just add them and have no problem. Did you mean I can't on this one because of where the files came from?

If so, ya please edit the latest one for me for X58 and or P55

As for the 1.20E from my board already, it's the older one and we want to test the newer ones, so I don't think you meant you needed to edit mine did you?

Comment

The option ROM is tied to a vendor/device ID pair, so it needs to be changed to support a different chipset, if it's moved to another chipset. If everything's working for you, then not applicable, obviously. ;-)

Comment

Yes, of course my original 1.20E works for me as it comes in my BIOS by default. I have not tried the latest one you gave me in X58 yet, but it fails P55.

Could you modify what you are talking about for me, one for P55 and one for X58, using the 2009 version, then I'll try them again.

Also, if you don't mind show me in a PM what you mean and how to do it. Thanks!

Comment

I found iSrc 1.20_E.0027 03232010, but it was from an Acer Insyde BIOS I uncompressed.

Here is a link to a couple of files I was playing around with: Index of /bios

I don't know if they will help anyone. I tried to add the newer AHCI to my BIOS, but wasn't successful. I'm not that familiar with editing this stuff

Comment

I have the GA-X58A-UD3R, I am trying to set up RAID0 on the ICH10r, it all seems to work fine, but as soon as I edit the partitions with fdisk, and try to boot, the boot process stops with error 23 on the AHCI bios... but should it even be loading the AHCI bios? It loads the AHCI bios and then the RAID bios straight after...

Is there a way to patch/modify the AHCI BIOS so it will get past this error? Otherwise ill try to work around it by putting the values it wants, but since this is RAID0... id imagine I need to fix it for both drives? Might be a bit of a problem...

Comment

Don't use Fdisk and you should be fine, I've never used it on an array and I never have any issues with partitions. Create your partitions in windows or other OS.

Yes, AHCI BIOS always loads first

Comment

Is this the thing responsible of SMART reading even while SMART is disabled from any AHCI drive ? This feature is extremely buggy at UD7 Rev. 2 at least using any of the FCx or FD1 BIOSes. Although there's also random boot issue on Marvell SATA3 controller at AHCI-Bypass, but doubt that would be releated.
                    Last edited by genetix; 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM.
                    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Comment

I am not sure why SMART is usable with it disabled, I've wondered that as well! I don't think it has anything to do with this though because all boards use this, so it wouldn't be because of that.

Marvell has it's own issues, and you would be better using the Intel ports for many reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        I am not sure why SMART is usable with it disabled, I've wondered that as well! I don't think it has anything to do with this though because all boards use this, so it wouldn't be because of that.

Marvell has it's own issues, and you would be better using the Intel ports for many reasons.
                        Now that's ridigulous. Marvell may have an reboot stability issues, but hell Intel doesn't know the difference what is Internal Caching and what is memory caching, their newest
                        drivers provides incredible unstable use and they have drawn own drivers from web which actually still were function 50 times better than their new crap.

What goes to S.M.A.R.T. It's not this 'AHCI ROM' on this subject. I think the option in BIOS is for IDE mode to disable. As for example v8.7.0.1007 Intel Matrix Storage drivers
                        which works flawless doesn't have smart reading which is why they work flawless.
                        "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Comment

Marvell issues for the main part are freezing controller or dropping drives under heavy stress.

Why do you need SMART Disabled? Just wondering because I don't see it affecting anything being enabled, but I know you learn new things every day so that is why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            Marvell issues for the main part are freezing controller or dropping drives under heavy stress.

Why do you need SMART Disabled? Just wondering because I don't see it affecting anything being enabled, but I know you learn new things every day so that is why I ask.

SMART is an new feature in a Intel Sense since Rapid Storage drivers v9.x.x.xxxx it generates really huge delays in system level no matter how or what is querying the SMART
                            values from the new intel drivers.

That is while using RAID that is. Multiple RAID arrays is an issue also on current ICH10R they may work for now with Option ROM v8.9.0.1008, but all in all the Option ROM is
                            already faulty in a sense of making RAID arrays. Only way to make the arrays now days is to make them from OS as Arrays made by the old Option ROM are breaking down
                            sometimes much more easier and you would start seeing something like 'drive error' for nothing and so on.

I haven't seen any Marvell drive freeze, but then again I took the controller in full use after there was some patches and .1051 drivers update. I don't know of their
                            RAID-Arrays, but I know for 100% sure that their controller works where Intel doesn't while using high-speed SSDs. Even while there is SMART queries.

Comment

SMART has been around before V. 9., what did you mean by that? I know some machines with windows 2000 on them that have SMART tech, and those surely shipped with and still have older than 9.x

It was created/finalized in 1995
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

I use RAID here on several setups with SMART on whatever the BIOS default is, I never change it because it doesn't matter, no issues at all with V. 10 ROM or drivers.

As for Marvell, same applies with new drivers as old, I've tested several times on various setups for Crucial forum users. New drivers are a bit faster than the old so that is good, but they still can be froze or made to drop a disk out of an array or from the controller singly very easily. You may not run into the issue just using your PC browsing or for light tasks, so you may never see it happen which would be a good thing.

I'll pass on letting you know how easy it is since it's working for you good now.

Comment

I am having the same problem with my x58a-ud3r, F7g. for months had no problems loading drives then yesterday installed new version windows 7 sp1. Backup with Acronis. changed around the cables when I did it and now I have a halt at AHCI bios post. Patching a rom to me is mid blogging and taboo as I have no idea what to do.
                                Am I better off using third party partition erase and start installation again?

Comment

Working...
                                X