Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | Turn ON briefly, turn OFF then turn ON when unplugged from wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | Turn ON briefly, turn OFF then turn ON when unplugged from wall

Hello,

I just build a new computer with a brand new Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0) (BIOS FE1) and the computer is running flawlessly.

However, something is strange or maybe normal.

When i unplug the PSU from the power outlet and plug it again into the wall, when i press the power button, the motherboard turn on briefly, turn off and then turn on again and windows bootup as normal.

The motherboard do that only when the PSU is unplugged from the power outlet.

PSU is a Corsair Pro Series AX750

Your advice ?

Re: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | Turn ON briefly, turn OFF then turn ON when unplugged from w

Yep my setup does the same when I start the computer after the power has been switched off at the socket. I have a X58A- UD3R, with an i7 950 and a Corsair HX650 PSU.

I have looked into this issue and I believe that it may be caused by specific combinations of motherboards and PSU's.

What I believe happens is that when the PSU is powered up the first time, after pressing the start button it takes some milliseconds for the PSU voltage outputs to stabilise. During this time the motherboard waits for the Power OK (or good signal) from the PSU before booting.

If it does not receive this signal after a set time (unknown) the motherboard forces a re-boot and again checks for the Power OK signal. By this time voltages have stabilised within specific parameters and provided the Power OK signal is present, the system boots normally.

I dont think that it is a major issue, more of an annoyance - I even logged a service ticket with Gigabyte, but apart drom reseating RAM and CPU and checking connections, they could not offer a solution.

It is possible that other PSU's may not do this, but I have no idea which ones might work - it may be that a number of PSU's may be a just bit slow on issuing the Power OK signal.

Provided that your motherboard is working OK in all other areas, I dont think that you need to worry.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

@Rebel801 :

Thanks for your help.

I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one who have that strange or normal issue.

The motherboard seem to work well for the moment.

CONFIRMED :
      The computer to my friend with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and PSU Corsair Pro AX750 (same PSU as me) do not do that !
      Last edited by Torrentwin; 12-17-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Re: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | Turn ON briefly, turn OFF then turn ON when unplugged from w

Thanks - that may be useful in determining which PSU's are more likely to have this issue for other members. At this stage I dont intend to replace my 6 mth old PSU, and it may not change the boot performance.

I swapped out my Ep45 ud3 for the X58 and the previous motherboard did not behave this way. Its entirely possible that Corsair PSU's take just a little longer to stabilise volts.

Cheers

Comment

are you using the latest bios? sometimes it happens with older bios's but i think it does it due to the dual bios,it boots up and checks the bios then restarts and applies the bios settings,normally only from cold or when power has been disconnected

my mb used to do it but with newer bios's it doesnt anymore
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel801 View Post
            At this stage I dont intend to replace my 6 mth old PSU, and it may not change the boot performance.
            Same for me. My PSU is brand new and is warranty 7 years.

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
            are you using the latest bios?
            Yes, i use the lastest BIOS available (FE1 beta).

The first bootup, the board did the same with an older bios (FB) before i flash it.

Comment

Same here - my board had FB installed when I first setup my system and now I am using FD and there is no change in the boot behaviour. Yeah it could be due to the Dual Bios arrangement, but then some people do not have this issue, so given that the motherboards or PSU's are not faulty, the issue must be because of the way the 2 devices communicate with each other.

I will keep updating to the latest bios as they are released, to see if the issue is resolved.

Comment

its not psu,if it were psu it would reboot all the time when playing games ect not just at start up,my mb used to do it,if its from cold then its to be expected,my mb doesnt do it now but i hardly ever let it go cold/turn it off,had same issues with s3 sleep now its fixed through latest bios's,maybe newer bios's will help fix it,if its only doing it from a cold start then i wouldnt worry about it too much
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

,if its only doing it from a cold start then i wouldnt worry about it too much
                  I agree - its nothing to be concerned about and TBH I rarely turn off the AC supply to the PC powerboard which also supplies the router etc. Probly the only time I switch off the AC is if I am working inside the PC case - then I use the PSU AC off. The last point is important IMO because even if the PC has shutdown, if the AC is still on, then power is still feeding the motherboard and you should not plug in or remove pci cards, RAM etc without shutting down the supply completely.

As I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with either the PSU or the motherboard, but rather the way the 2 work together.

Cheers

Comment

Re: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

CONFIRMED :
                    The computer to my friend with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and PSU Corsair Pro AX750 (same PSU as me) do not do that !

However, the memory brand is not the same as me. Kingston HyperX for him and Mushkin for me.

My memory:

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 12GB 3X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory

I removed all 3 sticks from my motherboard and it stopped to turn on, turn off then turn on cold boot.

I did a test with a 2gb samsung and i have the same issue (I found only that memory stick).
                    Last edited by Torrentwin; 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I thought the problem may have been the RAM as well, so I have tried Corsair and Patriot RAM with no change to boot-up. I may give the Kingston RAM a go and see if that helps. BTW Iused memtest on all 6 sticks individually and the all passed OK.

Would be interesting if you could swap PSU's with your friend and see what happens!!

Comment

post your memory settings including dram and qpi/vtt voltages
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel801 View Post
                          Would be interesting if you could swap PSU's with your friend and see what happens!!
                          Unfortunately this is not possible at this time.

post your memory settings including dram and qpi/vtt voltages
                          I'm using XMP Profile 1 settings with Performance Enhance Turbo (default).

Timing: 9-9-9-24
                          Profile DDR Voltage: 1.65V
                          Profile QPI Voltage: 1.35V

998776 - 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 Blackline (Triple Kit)

Comment

12gb kit? you might need more qpi/vtt voltage with that amount of ram,try with 1.36-1.38v
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Re: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

12gb kit? you might need more qpi/vtt voltage with that amount of ram,try with 1.36-1.38v
                              Yes i use a 12GB kit (3X4GB).

I am not familiar with bios tweaking. I don't OC.

I have QPI/Vtt Voltage and options are:

1.355V
                              1.375V - same cold boot issue.
                              1.395V - same cold boot issue.
                              1.415V - same cold boot issue.
                              Last edited by Torrentwin; 12-16-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X