• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best RAM for my EP45 DSL3 setup, using Pro Tools LE

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45 DSL3
    CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTS 512

I'm not sure I'll overclock this board (cpu/ ram), but I might. What is your best recommendation for really solid RAM to use when considering the software I'll be running?

Cheers!

~ Diggi
    Last edited by diggi; 08-29-2010, 01:04 AM.

Re: Best RAM for my EP45 DSL3 setup, using Pro Tools LE

Are you asking brands, or speeds, or what?

How much total do you plan to get, and how much do you want to spend?

Comment

I must apologize for not specifying some of this. I'm sorry.
      8 gb is the total I'll be acquiring. Cost does not matter as long as performance is there. Brand does not matter, but is there a brand that this board may fare better with. I'd like the fastest ram possible as well, with the ability to overclock the CPU to say 3.4GHz?

My sincere thank for your time, especially on a Sunday my friend.

Diggi

Comment

No problem!

At 8GB you may not be able to run 1066Mhz anyway, so a strong 800Mhz kit would probably be best, or just expect to underclock if you choose 1066Mhz kits. You can probably run 800-950Mhz easy with 8GB.

Do you have any favorite brands? Are you in the US? Let me know those things and I'll have a look around for you, if you are not in the US link me to your favorite store so I can have a look.

Comment

I am honored to receive your assistance. This is my first machine, and I hope to make it the best possible for my purposes.

It is my understanding that the more ram you install the slower it must run. Is this correct? If so, what is the cut-off to use faster ram? 4gb? 6gb?

The program I am using requires me to load audio samples into ram - (2gb-3gb at a time).

I am in the US, and I have absolutely no preference in brand, etc and money is not of concern.

Your help is humbling. Thank you!!

Comment

Run 4GB or 8GB only, if you do 6GB (3x2GB) it will run in Flex Compatibility mode, not exactly dual channel.

I could be having false memories there, maybe i used to run 800Mhz always, but don't think there is such dependence with number of dimms.
            I remember runnnig 1000Mhz with 4x2GB and it didn't require more voltage on Chipset or Dram, compared to 2x2, except that one kit 2x2 required 1.84, other 2x2 1.80V, all had to run 1.84V. 1066 is difficult, in case of a heavily overvolted memory, that is.

Maybe you should get green ddr2 1066 6-6-6 Cas latency and 1.6V Dram operating voltage instead of 2.1 or 1.8 that is common to dimms with such frequencies. This could backfire and not work at all,

I just wanted to mention the flex mode. forget what i said.

Comment

Thank you for your kindness and time. Both of which I do not deserve.

The RAM I have in my possession is 8gb (4x2gb) Crucial/Micron: MT16HTF25664AY-800E1

Is this a good choice for my board, or would I fare a lot better (in terms of performance) with another type/brand/speed, etc?

Like the folks here at Gigabyte, I too have no brand preference and only want the best for my needs.

Thoughts and comments please?

Thank you all.

~ Diggi

Comment

Is the system already built and you just looking better ram?

Comment

Indeed sir. Yes.

It is "just" built and I'd like to make this machine as good as possible - and would love to hear your thoughts, and perhaps your advice on overclocking with air cooling only.

My sincere thanks sir!!

Comment

Please post a screen capture of MemSet main and SPD(click spd) windows, as well as a screen capture of , and we'll see how you are doing so far.

Have you made any changes in BIOS M.I.T or are you using optimized defaults?

In general memory performance do not have much impact on performance, but it depandes on the application.

You can download MemSet from http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

Comment

Here are results from xBench. I have no idea what they mean :-)

Hopefully they will make some sense to you :-) ??

Joe
                      Attached Files

Comment

No it does not make any sense :-)
                        Check your PM.
                        You can see instructions on how to create a bootable flash drive in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by diggi View Post
                          Here are results from xBench. I have no idea what they mean :-)

Hopefully they will make some sense to you :-) ??

Joe
                          Thats a "Mac" program.... You have Mac OS X installed???? The program Chike is having get is for windows. You need to have windows installed to use the tools and stuff that will be suggested here. Mac OS can run on this hardware but is not supported at all here.
                          Main Rig
                          Gigabyte z87x-OC
                          Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                          Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                          Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                          HiS ATI HD 6950
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                          Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                          Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                          Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                          EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                          Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                          Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Ahh since you already have 8GB of memory, no real need to purchase more!

That Crucial should be fine for you and what you want to do

Comment

If you think the RAM I currently possess will work well for my purposes, then great!
                              I am unfortunately unable to run any of the benchmark software that would otherwise give a better idea of how my system is performing.

BUT, if you would perhaps give a general recommendation on how to setup my bios, I would be eternally grateful.

And please note, that I am not looking for "support" per se, just your opinions. thoughts on how I might make my system its best. If something goes wrong and I fry my Mobo, CPU, RAM or eggs, I shall not hold anyone here responsible, and I will NOT be sending anything to any company with an RMA. I do all of this, using your suggestions entirely at my own risk.

Now, let's crank this baby up!

Thoughts?

Diggi

Comment

Working...
                              X