X38-DS4 Windows &

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X38-DS4 Windows &

Ya, Vista/Windows 7 will see/show all 4GB but if you are using a 32 bit OS then you will always only be able to use 4GB minus your GFX Card memory amount and then a little more sometimes. Normally, as said above, for a 32 bit system you will only be able to use 3-3.25GB depending on hardware

Comment

I dug around and came up with the same answers. I shoulda known that.

About the only hardware I have on the MB are my HD3870 GFX cards. I see ATI has a 64 bit drvier. Is there anything on the MB that wouldn't play nicely with Win 7/64 bit?

As far as peripherals, I have a scanner and a coupla printers, but I'm pretty sure Epson has 64 bit drivers.

Thanx,
      Bill

Comment

Nope, x64 will work just fine for you. Most programs that you do not find a x64 driver for will install fine anyway into a x86 folder and use 32bit drivers. So you should not have any issues

Comment

I may give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

You will be fine, I was worried too a while back when I made the switch but have not had any issues at all

Comment

With excellent help and advice from you guys, I'm sure I will.

Comment

Good luck, you will be fine!

Post back anytime if you need more help with this or anything else

Comment

OK, X64 install went well. Strangely, the only thing that wouldn't load was the google toolbar. Everything else was a breeze. System now sees all the RAM.

Also, can you recommend a CPU fan that'll clear the heat pipes and RAM on the DS-4?

Thanx,
                  Bill

Comment

A limited number of applications may have problems with 64bit. They're extremely rare but it does happen.

You may be able to solve the problem depending on what format the toolbar is added to IE in. If it's an executable, try running in compatibility mode for XP . If it's a proprietary add on file, running the whole browser in compatibility mode may be needed.
                    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

You do not need or should not want toolbars anyway, so that is a PLUS +

A lot of coolers will fit between those heatpipes. Which are you looking at, that would be easier for us to tell you if they would work or not

Comment

LSD,
                        Really sorry I missed this post. I'm not really sure what I want. I have a big Zalman on my other rig. I think I want toe keep the noise level down, while still providing decent airflow.
                        I just moved into a Thermaltake Element S. Nice and quiet with a few big fans. I don't game and I haven't gotten into OC'ing. Do I really need more than a stock Intel fan?

Bill

Comment

Probably not if you don't game or OC or live in a hot climate or engage in any other cpu intensive activities.

Certainly not if the above is true, and the computer is in an air-conditioned environment.

CPUID Hardware Monitor retains max and min temps. Using it for awhile will soon show if cooling solutions are adequate.

CPU
                          =
                          i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
                          Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
                          - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
                          Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
                          , BIOS Version = Award FC
                          Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
                          Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
                          Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
                          PSU = Corsair HX850
                          OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

Even in the most extreme of conditions a stock Intel cooler on a stock clocked PC should be OK. The whole Core 2 65nm range (E6xxx and Q6xxx) will yield similar temps, as will the entire 45nm range (E5xxx,E7xxx and E8xxx), the main differences being that quads will run hotter. The difference of temps vs clock speeds in the same range of equal cored CPU's is minimal. You should be within a good temp range up to and including ~35c ambient with the stock effort, assuming a 30c deltaT with a case temp ~5c above ambient.
                            Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                            Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                            Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                            TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                            2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                            Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                            Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                            WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                            Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                            Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                            Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Working...
                            X