ET6 and CIA2 = instant disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ET6 and CIA2 = instant disaster

Previously, I had deleted ET6 from my system when chasing down a series of BSOD issues that turned out to be solved by a memory voltage tweak.

Recently, I downloaded the latest version and installed it because I keep seeing references to it here and also it's just a cool looking little app.

So I was looking at its screens and got to the SMART tab and it has a box at the top called CIA2 with buttons for "Cruise" "Sports" "Racing" etc. Looks harmless enough. "Dynamically overclocks CPU". OK. Let's see what it does.

"Cruise" seems pretty benign. Click.

Instant crash. No BSOD, just black screen and reboot, but can't complete reboot. First, restarts reboot before any Windows stuff appears. Then, reboots while the Windows orb is on screen. So that time, I caught it in the POST screen and reset the BIOS to optimized defaults plus the 1.86 v for the RAM that had fixed the BSOD's last time and here I am, back in operation.

Wow. ET6 seems like a total booby trap. Not really looking for detailed settings advice here but wondering what is known about ET6. Should I just stay away from it? Does it offer anything that other less dangerous apps could provide? I can't find anyplace in the program that identifies the version but it is the latest version available from gigabyte.com.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    Bios version F10 dated 1/27/2010
    Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with the cooling fan supplied w/processor
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Seagate SATA Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB
    Hitachi SATA Deskstar 7K1000.C 1.0TB
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW
    Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D

Re: ET6 and CIA2 = instant disaster

your better doing overclock in the bios and not c.i.a or easytune they will always crash,just use easytune as a monitoring program
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ET5 worked on my trusty ol 8 I945P board but there were drawbacks.
      I think its not meant for gaming, cuz when I would run in BF2 ET5 sped up then slowed down-then sped up while looking around "in game". After a while I got kinda sick and dizzy too-LOL. Thats why I use the BIOS for OCing now. You have more control with a BIOS OC and you can find out what does not work and why it does not work. BIOS OC is just a more stable OC atmosphere IMO.
      Last edited by MadMax2911; 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM. Reason: add thoughts
      BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

The one time I went into smart and tried to set smart fan it froze my computer when i clicked set.
        BIOS smart fan control(voltage) works just fine, so I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          your better doing overclock in the bios and not c.i.a or easytune they will always crash,just use easytune as a monitoring program
          Does it offer any monitoring functions that are not available from some other, less dangerous, program? I mean, it's hard to resist those "quick fix" buttons. If some other utility can provide the same usable tools without the risk of trashing, I'll just uninstall it again.
          EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
          PSU Corsair TX750W
          NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
          Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

its good for manually setting your cpu fan speed other than that its good for monitoring voltages and clocks just dont overclock with it
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wallypiper View Post
              Previously, I had deleted ET6 from my system when chasing down a series of BSOD issues that turned out to be solved by a memory voltage tweak.

Recently, I downloaded the latest version and installed it because I keep seeing references to it here and also it's just a cool looking little app.

So I was looking at its screens and got to the SMART tab and it has a box at the top called CIA2 with buttons for "Cruise" "Sports" "Racing" etc. Looks harmless enough. "Dynamically overclocks CPU". OK. Let's see what it does.

"Cruise" seems pretty benign. Click.

Instant crash. No BSOD, just black screen and reboot, but can't complete reboot.
              Hi WallyPiper Good morning to you, I would like a chance to respond here once again. First of all, you are assuming that it is Easytune fault that you are having problems. I would like to remind you that there are several possible explainations for your problem. Let me start with the most obvious scenario of a Antivirus conflict. Your Antivirus is operating on your system and its goal is to prevent harmful actions taken against your PC. It looks at what is going on in your PC and if it thinks a Virus or Malware is affecting your system then it will attempt to stop this virus or malware. Another possible scenario is that your BIOS settings are not correct or set to auto to allow easy tune to operate. I am not an expert but if you have some settings not on auto, or hard set then easy tune will try to change them and will most likely not succeed and then OH well crash!!!!!! #$%^ &*%$$ dang nabbit darn machine must be that easytune!!
              Here is a graphical representation of whats going on

BIOS or basic input output system is configured and starts the system with whatever settings you entered(easytune may require certain settings) OS takes over and runs the system (basically OK I am not a genious OK?)
              Programs reside on hard drive ----------->-------->communicate with OS and hardware to achieve goals
              Antivirus resides on hard drive(+memory)---->-------communicates with OS and hardware to achieve goals
              ACHI BIOS helps hard drive to function-------->--------->communicates with OS and hardware to achieve goals
              Easytune6 resides on hard drive(+memory)--->-------->communicates with OS and hardware to achieve goals
              Drivers allow Devices to talk ----->-------->communicates with OS and hardware to achieve goals
              (now if there is a driver that does not like easytune or is incomatible this is another possible problem. )
              There may be a lot more to this systems operation that this (and you guys can correct me anytime) but you get what I mean right?
              Max out
              Last edited by MadMax2911; 11-22-2009, 11:25 AM. Reason: more info
              BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

The only problem I had is when I clicked on the "Cruise" button in EasyTune. Otherwise, my system is running fine.
                EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
                PSU Corsair TX750W
                NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
                Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

EasyTune is a pile of crap. There is nothing monitoring wise that a combination of Speedfan and Coretemp/Realtemp won't do on that side of things. Actually just Speedfan on its own would be fine.

You will find nobody here willing to recommend OCing using either ET6 or CIA. Both methods lead to problems. If you want to OC, you really need to do some reading on the subject and set values yourself. People here can help, but without you knowing at least the basics and being willing to try things yourself it's a frustrating process for both you and anyone trying to help you.

Your board is a good overclocker indeed. 4GHz may be possible if you are lucky, your CPU is an E0 stepping and your other components play nice with the increased FSB etc.
                  Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                  Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                  TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                  2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                  Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                  WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                  Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                  Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                  Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I use it ONLY to verify settings in use, or to quick test a setting or something before manually doing so in the BIOS.

If you want to overclock do so with the BIOS as said above your board and CPU can likely hit 3.8-4Ghz with the right cooling.

Comment

Working...
                    X