Wow, you guys are awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, you guys are awesome

I built my computer back in August. Right off the bat I had a few BSOD's but dumping the Realtek audio driver that came with the Gigabyte mobo seemed to eliminate them and that was OK with me as I don't use it for hifi anyway. I have some nice headphones attached and no other sound on.

Then about amonth ago the BSOD's came back. I ran Memtest86 per some suggestions from the folks over at Techsupportforums and one of my ram sticks failed miserably. So I sent the ram back to Corsair and they send me a new pair.

Didn't really solve the problem which varied from a BSOD once a day to one after another at times. Lots of dumps for the folks at Techsupportforums to look at and lots of "maybe this maybe that, try this, try that" but nothing was really getting better.

I started to think it must be a hardware problem because no changes to the software were having any effect and the error codes kept pointing at hardware but not at anything specific. So I wandered in here and was just browsing around and read, I think in several places, about people turning up the voltage on their EP45 mobos and solving instability issues.

So I got Memtest86+ (plain 86 couldn't test both sticks together, it kept crashing). First try I got 80 errors halfway through the first pass.

Turned the ram voltage up from 1.80 to 1.84.

Then I got 20 errors on the first pass. Stopped the test and turned it up again to 1.86.

3 passes, no errors.

I didn't even have to ask anybody here. I just stumbled across that and gave it a shot and .

Of course, I've though I had this whipped a couple of times in the past but no smoking gun like the ram errors.

This place is a great resource. I've never built a computer from the table up before. Screwing it all together is easy but the technical aspects of tweaking the system to get it to work optimally (or just work) are all totally new to me. Pat yourselves on the back, guys. You may have saved my computer from the bigger hammer solution.
    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
    Bios version F10 dated 1/27/2010
    Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with the cooling fan supplied w/processor
    PSU Corsair TX750W
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Seagate SATA Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB
    Hitachi SATA Deskstar 7K1000.C 1.0TB
    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW
    Corsair DDR2 CM2X2048-8500C5D

Re: Wow, you guys are awesome

Glad we could help out.
    If you post a screen-shot using cpuz or Memset SPD tab, you'll see the rated voltage specified for your memory at several memory speeds.
    This voltage is what the manufacturer requires for each memory speed range.
    Screwing it all together is easy but the technical aspects of tweaking the system to get it to work optimally (or just work) are all totally new to me.
    Yes, the devil is in the details

Several threads here deal with Q9550 overclocks up to 3.80 - 3.90GHz and higher.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Great to see you found some help!!

Sometimes a small voltage increase is all that is needed, sadly sometimes users do not want to hear or try that.

Post back anytime!

Comment

I have depended on the BIOS defaults mostly to handle all the settings. I recently uninstalled ET6 because it became a suspect in the BSOD storm so I don't currently have a quick way to check on temps but at the end of 90 minutes of Memtest86+ both the CPU and System temp were around 40 and both began to cool as soon as the test stopped.

Here's some cpuz shots. Tell me what you see. Given that I know hardly anything about most of the settings and specs, you can't hurt my feelings.

EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
        PSU Corsair TX750W
        NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
        Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

Running your memory at the rated 1066MHz speed (533 MHz in cpu-z), your DRAM voltage should be 2.10 volts (possibly a bit less) for stability. Memtest86+ is good a finding memory hardware problems and "gross" bios configuration errors, but it is not a stress test.
          You need to run Prime95 or OCCT for 10 - 12 hours or longer to verify that your system is truly stable.
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by wallypiper View Post
            So I got Memtest86+ (plain 86 couldn't test both sticks together, it kept crashing). First try I got 80 errors halfway through the first pass.

Turned the ram voltage up from 1.80 to 1.84.

Then I got 20 errors on the first pass. Stopped the test and turned it up again to 1.86.

3 passes, no errors.
            This is interesting.
            With DRAM voltage set to auto the memory would have never been set to 1.8v. With XMP enabled it would have been set to 2.1v and if it was disabled to 1.9v, so which were the actual values that failed?

memtest96+ would not be rnough to prove the settings stable, some more aggressive tests are needed, Prime95/Orthos blend or OCCT large data set.

Comment

Immediately prior to running Memtest I flashed the bios to the latest version and, per the instructions on this forum, set the bios to optimized defaults. I didn't make any changes to the bios settings before running Memtest.

When I entered the BIOS setup after the first memtest run, I went direct to the DRAM voltage setting. It may have been set to Auto but when I typed ENTER, the setting which was selected in the list was 1.80. Perhaps when you change it from Auto it immediately defaults to a lower setting when it shows you the list. But the sequence of events following that is exactly as I reported - 80 errors on the first test, 20 errors at 1.84, 0 errors at 1.86.

As for running a more agressive test, I might do that. But I am not prepping this system for sale. It's my personal use computer at home. If it runs without errors as currently set up, I'm satisfied. Running a different test and generating errors that would never occur during normal use might be interesting, but it wouldn't really make my experience using the computer any better.
              EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
              PSU Corsair TX750W
              NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
              Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

What makes you think that memtest86+ represents your normal use better than Prime95?
                I have core temps monitored and quite often temps get near the temps generated by Prime95 at normal use.

Perhaps you will zip/rar some files one day, play a new video game, it will fail/crash. or the computer will, maybe not, then subsequent random BSODs, then you'l understand why testing stability is important.

Comment

Chike,

I appreciate your input.

My computer only does two things that I consider "important".

I use it to track my personal finances and business expenses with Quicken.

I use it to access the internet to download financial information from banks and lenders into Quicken.

Everything else it does is entertainment and is not "important".

Given the relatively light load placed on the system by those two tasks, and the fact that I have gone from BSODs every hour or less to zero BSOD's in two days regardless of what the computer is being used for, I feel that its current state of stability is adequate.

If, at some point in the future I have problems with it, I will again take on the task of tracking down the source of the problems and solving them. I may even explore tweaking the BIOS settings in my computer beyond the small DRAM voltage adjustment I just made, just for the fun and challenge of it. It is something I know almost nothing about and I might enjoy learning about it. But right now, its working and I have many other issues in my life that need attention that have, frankly, gotten shorted over the last week or so while I worked on this problem.

I look forward to exploring this forum some more and mining what is obviously a broad based and deep resource of information about the extremely esoteric and highly technical realm of modern computer operation at the board level.

For right now, Firefox, Quicken, MSmail and a handful of low end games that my wife likes to play (card games and mental puzzles) are all working great. Thanks again for your assistance.
                  EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
                  PSU Corsair TX750W
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
                  Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

Well, I'm back and prepared to possibly eat some crow.

About a week ago, I started to experience some problems with Vista booting. I was getting an error that hal.dll was missing or corrupt. It wasn't missing and I tried replacing it with a copy from a machine that was working to no avail.

I decided to go ahead and do a clean install of Windows 7, which I have done. The install was uneventful but almost immediately I got some more boot failures with the same error.

I had not, however, installed new drivers from Gigabyte so I downloaded and installed drivers for the intel chipset, realtek audio and realtek lan. I also installed the latest driver for my EVGA graphics card.

Everything seemed to work fine for a day or so as I gradually moved data files etc. back onto the drive.

Then there were a couple of BSOD events but the system was rebooting so quickly after them that I did not see what the errors were.

BUT I have had several instances of the system reporting a boot disk failure. I have always been able to get a successful boot simply by either doing a hard reset or powering the system down and starting over.

I have run Seagate's test utility (self booting, not in Windows) and it found no errors.

I will gladly post whatever information is useful but I am not certain what that is.

When the boot disk failures occur, there is a sequence that seems to be pretty consistent. First, the Gigabyte splash screen is displayed for an unusually long time. Also, the HD activity light is on and stays on steadily, no blinking at all. So far, I have always been able to get the system to boot eventually, either by pressing the system reset button or, more often, by powering the system all the way down and restarting.
                    EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
                    PSU Corsair TX750W
                    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
                    Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

This looks seriously fatal

Returning from a few days away, I found my system in a BSOD, waiting for input. I tried the reset button but experienced the same sequence described above - long pause on the splash screen, HD activity light on steady and then a boot disk failure message. I powered it down and cold booted and it came up OK. Then overnight, it BSODed again and now it won't reboot no matter what.

I inserted a Seagate test CD and forced a boot from the CD. The Seagate utility could not find a hard drive.

I inserted a Windows 7 recovery CD and again tried to force a boot from the CD but now it won't boot from that CD either.

I think I have found the problem. I knew from reading here and elsewhere that the first instruction was going to be "check all the power cables and SATA cables". So I opened up the case and checked and checked and did not find any loose connections. So I hit the power button again and saw the following:

The CPU cooling fan was not starting. It would move a little bit, but not spin up. I gave it a little nudge and it took off. Then I noticed that one of the three cooling fans on the Corsair memory cooling array was turning slowly. I tired "helping" it also but to no avail. It kept turning somewhat slowly and erratically.

So I removed the memory cooling fans and tried again. This time, the CPU fan still needed some help to get going but I was again able to give it a little nudge and get it running. then the system booted normally.

So my theory is that the sticky fans are pulling the system voltage down somehow and messing with other subsystems on the board. I will get a new CPU cooler and contact Corsair regarding the memory cooling fans. I'm not sure they are necessary as there are many other fans in the system - two inlet fans to the case, one large exhaust fan from the case and the fans on the power supply and graphics card.

Comments? Suggestions?
                      EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
                      PSU Corsair TX750W
                      NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
                      Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

Ooops

After a minutes just idling, not doing anything with it:

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
                        The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006 (0xfdc031b0 0x00a1f150).
                        The system has been shut down"

EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
                        PSU Corsair TX750W
                        NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
                        Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

So how would you like your crow served?
                          raw? medium-rare? well done?
                          Don't feel too bad, read the last half of the first line in my forum signature.

The problem with not doing extended stress testing is that a system that isn't fully stable can result in data or file corruption.

Follow steps 1 - 4 in this post to provide the information we need.
                          If you are running stock memory and cpu speeds, your system will probably be stable using the recommended settings in the post.

Update the information in your signature to include the bios and motherboard versions and include a link to your memory's specifications.
                          Use the generic bios template in this post to provide your current bios settings.

Let us know if you want some help with running Intel BurnTest, Linx, Prime95 or other stress testing programs.
                          Last edited by profJim; 02-12-2010, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Maybe your PSU is dying?
                            Check PC Health status voltages.

Comment

The system is running at the moment after being completely shut down for about 24 hours. I'll get to work on the stuff you asked for.

I found this pretty interesting. When I google the exact error message I got, "The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006 (0xfdc031b0 0x00a1f150)", I only get one hit which is my post here. In all of googleland, nobody else has ever posted that message. I don't know whether to be terrified or proud.
                              EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0
                              PSU Corsair TX750W
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
                              Samsung SATA 20x DVD/RW

Comment

Working...
                              X