pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Does this occur with your memory underclocked? What Uncore are you using? Please post the full settings you are trying and I will see if I can help ya get going

Comment

My full settings can be found in the first post (Uncore has to be 24*133 because RAM is 12 so 2*12=24 (at least) - as you can see it's stable and there doesn't seem to be any reason to lower it, neither QPI, if I don't raise Bclk). From what you can see inthere 31*133 for CPU and 12*133 for RAM is stable. I tested that o/c in prime and OCCT as well. Not to rely entirely on LinX...

Now, any setting that would get me past 4200 MHz (e.g. 32*133 or 27*160) has failed so far. I did, as suggested in replies above, turn off Virtualization and XMP -->manual memory settings. Then enabled LLC and went with voltages as far as 1.38125 Vcore, 1.36 VTT, 1.88 CPU PLL, 1.28 IOH+ICH...

I don't feel like trying 1.4 Vcore or 1.38 VTT for another 100 MHz on CPU because even if it does work, I won't have it that high 24/7 so it wouldn't be any good to me anyway.

That 0x0000009C BSOD I get with every setting beyond 4200 MHz I have tried so far after a short while in LinX. I have not tried underclocked RAM yet though.
      Last edited by bossque; 10-14-2009, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Your QPI is fine. 133*24 is only 3192 which should be okay on 1.335V.

However, getting 4.2 with under 1.4V is pretty impressive as it is. I'd say there's a 95% chance you just need more vcore. While stop errors can sometimes be helpful, you can't always rely on them to tell you what's wrong. Since it won't hurt the processor to push it further, I think you should at least find out what kind of vcore you need to get higher. For fun if nothing else.
        A Table!
        i7 950
        Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
        6GB STT Hypers 2133 8-8-8 21
        MSI GTX 470 GE
        Corsair HX1000
        SS or Dice/MW80/MCP655 Vario/MCR 320

Comment

As bassplayer has said, voltages needed are temp dependant in more ways than one. Also you can, with lower temps get away with less voltage, even at temps that seem fine and dandy. For example at 4GHz, my cousins 920 is stable (D0) at 1.32V with a peak temp of 89c (a bit warm). As soon as he got his water cooling loop set up, filled and bled, temps dropped to 74c under load and he was able to drop down to 1.26V (all voltages in CPU-Z).

Although having an unlocked multi is great, you still may have more success from more BCLK and less CPU Multi. I know you've tried that already, but I wonder if Lsdmeasap has any info or experience with that?

1.4V 24/7 is a pretty good voltage to settle at actually. have you noticed that the Xeon i7 based components are rated to take much more heat, even though they're the exact same components, basically. Don't be afraid to push a little but also bear in mind the voltages and temps you're personally comfortable with. For me that would be around 1.45V Vcore, 1.4-1.45VTT and 1.8V VDIMM etc. Less is OFC always better, but as I get impatient, I would set those from the off and just crank up the BCLK until I get the max I can out of the CPU etc.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

1.55 Vcore is the Intel Stated MAX so you have no worries with 1.4 or above. And with the QPI/Vtt, some sticks come default at 1.6V, so again no worries as this is normal. See here for my thoughts about QPI/Vtt voltages >>
            POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!! - Page 5 - TweakTown Forums

Higher Bclk would be best for performance, such as 200+, so for 4.3 or above use 205x21 or more.

As far as using less Blck, you have to find a working multi that is stable, some are just not good to use. Odd ones will be best most of the time, did you try 29 or 33 yet, try those out. I have had good luck with 27 actually, but that was in DICE Runs. I am using 21 now on a 965 EX just because it is simple to setup. For 4.3 or above I would simply use more Bclk, higher multi's only allow you to use less bclk which hinders performance all around

QPI Freq must be kept under 8.0Gt/s, that is all. Unless you have hard modded your board that is

Comment

Thx, guys. You conviced me not to be affraid to go to ~1.4 V if only temporarily - to see where I can get.

I don't have time to mess around with OC atm, but I'll get back to it soon. Hopefully, F9 final BIOS will be out by then.

Just a note: you all seem to advise to rather raise Bclk that CPU ratio to get more performance. Well, I may have some news for you. LinX is built on Intel's CPU benchmark called linpack. You can clearly see floating point operations per second (Flop) after each test run.

Long story short, with my current setting (31*133 CPU, 24*133 QPI+Uncore, 133*12 RAM; 1.3125 Vcore, 1.3 VTT) I get 60-61 Gflops.
              With similar setting (26*160, 24*160+24*160, 10*160; 1.3125, 1.3) I only get 56-58 GFlops...

Comment

I am using 1.39 Actual for 4.2 right now, and if I went 4.3+ I would suspect I would need 1.4+ actual as well, no biggie just watch your temps

Higher Bclk will increase performance much more than higher CPU multi, High CPU multi's only really help when you are trying to push 5-6Ghz. Gflops also depend on how you have your memory and QPI/Uncore setup, voltages, how LinX is setup (Problem size/memory used), and other things as well.

Test using Winrar benchmark or everest and you will see higher Blck is better

I do see what you mean as I use LinX myself, but based on many other benchmarks and previous knowledge I know higher FSB/Base Clock is best

Comment

still no luck guys

we're now at F9m BIOS, new option dynamic voltage but I still can't get stable 4 GHz overclock.

My current settings are:
                  31*133 CPU, 24*133 QPI+Uncore, 133*12 RAM

Normal (1.293) + 0.0475 dynamic CPU voltage
                  VTT 1.34
                  QPI/PLL 1.88
                  the rest 1.26-1.28
                  RAM default XMP

I don't want to hit 1.3 with the other voltages, nor get over 1.88 and CPU not over 1.36 (1.36 VTT also flashes red in BIOS, so 1.34 is max)

It runs just fine in prime95 x64 (four hours of FFT in place 128-1024 kB) but in linx problem size 25000 i get error within first 10 runs

Comment

Test out the RAM more thoroughly.

Do you have the Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D kit? I couldnt get mine to run at rated speeds and apparently its a common problem (with version 3.1 of the ram). It may be that its unstable and that could be causing LinX errors.
                    Originally posted by Higgins
                    Pro tip: don't piss off PC gamers on purpose

Comment

yop, my HW is still the same like I mentioned in post #1

what are you saying then? that the RAM sticks can't keep up with the XMP profile they set up for them? that's kind of scam, I'd say...

I was also thinking what was causing the problem - as raising voltage didn't seem to get rid of the linx errors yet prime95 was good it, too, made me think it had to be the RAM sticks, not the CPU.

So what do you think I should do: raise timings manually, put more than 1.65V in them, RMA...?

Comment

Have you tried Prime95 Large FFT? Run it with the following custom settings.

It stresses the IMC/RAM the most. If it reboots, the memory is not stable. At that point I would RMA.
                        Originally posted by Higgins
                        Pro tip: don't piss off PC gamers on purpose

Comment

3 hours and zip

Comment

...and the game is up!

The bottleneck's really RAM. I increased timings manually to 8-9-9-24-2N (SPD: 8-8-8-24-2N @1.65V XMP) and it became stable again.

This reminds me a situation from about 5 years ago - when we tried to convince ppl not to use memtest as it could claim a system stable while prime would prove otherwise within 10 minutes.

It's the same situation now, once again prime95 (25.11.2) has proved faulty. This wasn't the first time prime wouldn't give me any errors when linx would within first few runs...

However, the problem remains as I'm still unable to reach a stable 4.2 GHz overclocking no matter what. 31*133 is still the rock solid top for me. I wish Gigabyte would hurry with them BIOS' ...I mean the last stable version is from May '09

Comment

It seems the 10 months worth of development and testing payed off. The F9 final BIOS really improved stability.

Current settings:

CPU: 31*136
                              QPI: 24*136
                              Uncore: 24*136

Code:
                              Performance Enhance: Turbo
                              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Profile1
                              System Memory Multiplier: 12
                              DRAM Timing Selectable: Quick
                              CAS Latency Time: 8
                              tRCD: 8
                              tRP: 8
                              tRAS: 24
                              Command Rate: 2N
                              ...the rest of sub-timings are on AUTO

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
                              CPU Vcore: Default (1.29375)
                              Dynamic Overclock: +0.06875
                              QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.34
                              CPU PLL: 1.88
                              QPI PLL: 1.22
                              IOH Core: 1.28
                              IOH I/O: AUTO
                              ICH Core: 1.18
                              ...DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination and the rest are all on AUTO
                              ...this absolutely wasn't stable with any of the F9beta versions. GG, Gigabyte

EDIT: I'm very happy with this because I have achieved 1 GHz overclock (3200 MHz --> 4216 MHz), which was my goal, and now I'm only gonna work my way down with voltages. I don't really think Vcore needs to be at 1.36, nor VTT at 1.34...
                              Last edited by bossque; 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X