X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Hi, this is my first post here so be nice

My setup is pretty obvious from the pictures below, but for the record:
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (original BIOS F7, currently F9e)
    Intel Xeon W3570 (default 24*133 MHz, Vcore 1.225 V)
    CoolerMaster V8
    3x 2048 MB TrippleChannel Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 8-8-8-24-2T
    Corsair HX850

Okay, here is the story: I must confess a bit disappointed with my current OC, seeing as many ppl with i7 920 which is only 2660 MHz often manage 1.5 GHz overclock or more, whereas I've got a 3200 MHz workstation CPU and don't seem to be able to do even a 1 GHz overclock. So here I am, all ears for any nifty suggestion you might have that would help me tweak my CPU a little further

For starters, here's my status quo followed by BIOS settings with which I achieved this:

And a little RAM info:

Some M.I.T. settings that are not obvious from above:
    Code:
    Turbo Boost: Disabled
    CPU Cores Enabled: All
    CPU Multi-Threading: Disabled (I disabled this because it lowers performance by 10 GFlops, increases power consumption by 30 W and therefore core temps by 5-7 �C)
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Disabled
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2: Enabled
    CPU EIST Function: Disabled
    Virtualization Technology: Enabled
    Bit-Directional Prochot: Enabled
    Code:
    BaseClock (BCLK) Control: Disabled
    PCI Express Frequency: Auto
    C.I.A. 2: Disabled
    CPU Clock Drive: 800 mV
    PCI Espress Clock Drive: 900 mV
    CPU Clock Skew: 0ps
    MCH Clock Skew: 0ps
    Code:
    Performance Enhance: Turbo
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Profile1
    System Memory Multiplier: 12
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Quick
    CAS Latency Time: 8
    tRCD: 8
    tRP: 8
    tRAS: 24
    Command Rate: 2N
    ...the rest of sub-timings are on AUTO
    Code:
    Load-Line Calibration: Disabled (I'm not sure what this does - the manual isn't clear)
    CPU Vcore: 1.3125
    QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.300
    CPU PLL: 1.840
    PCIE: AUTO
    QPI PLL: 1.180
    IOH Core: 1.160
    IOH I/O: AUTO
    ICH Core: 1.140
    ...DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination and the rest are all on AUTO

Re: pls help me OC my EX58-UD5 with unlocked CPU

Try fixing these settings:

Virtualization Technology: Disabled
    PCI Express Frequency: 100
    Performance Enhance: Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier: 12
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Expert (then make sure you manually set the ram timings for all three sticks)
    CAS Latency Time: 8
    tRCD: 8
    tRP: 8
    tRAS: 24
    Command Rate: 1N (are your sticks actually rated at 2 CR?)
    Oh, and this might be your actual problem:

...DRAM Voltage, DRAM Termination and the rest are all on AUTO
    Set your memory voltage to what they are rated at. If 1.65V, then select 1.66V in the BIOS and ignore the message saying that your are going above Intel's 1.65V recommended voltage.. yada yada..

Originally posted by bossque View Post

PS: I marked the voltage in those screens for a reason - as stated before, I set it to 1.31250 V. While PC Health Status in BIOS reads 1.3000 V, CPU-Z reads 1.280 idle and 1.264 in load. Is this normal?
    Yup that is normal. It is often referred to as vDroop. A lengthy article helps explain in technical terms but basically it means that the voltage you see in Windows isn't the same that you set in the BIOS. And yes it is normal.

If you set LLC to Enabled, you will see less vDroop with your vCore during load.
    Last edited by SolidBladez; 10-10-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

You may also get better results with a more balanced BCLK and multi, for instance try a 166 BCLK and a 25 multi, etc.

I also wouldn't automatically expect the same % overclock as a D0 920 even on a Xeon. All D0 i7's will have an upper ceiling that's generally the same. Higher priced/binned parts may achieve higher speeds, but maybe not by much.
      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Thanks for those quick replies.

Why would I want to disable Virtualization Technology? I use/need XP mode...

PCI-E to 100 MHz - isn't that default?

And why should I disable XMP and then set everything manually to those exact same values? My sticks now run on 1.65V which is its default and I really dont like to go over it. Yes, there is only 1.64 and 1.66 manual setting in BIOS otherwise.

As for the Command Rate, it says in SPD they're 2N (or 2T, whatever). 2N is worse than 1N right? So it wouldn't really help to stability to set it to 1N, would it?

What about the Load-Line Calibration - shall I leave it disabled?

Comment

Usually we say to disable VT when overclocking until you find your stable clocks. Then you can enable it.

PCI-e isn't always set to 100 MHz by default. I remember when overclocking on my EP45-UD3P that it would raise ever so slightly. So you might want to just key it in at 100. ;)

Usually XMP does set the correct settings. But when overclocking it might set an incorrect timing and therefore screw up your overclock.

On the sticks themselves, what are they rated at? Most triple channel kits are rated at 1N command rate.

Leave LLC enabled as it will help minimize your vDroop during stability testing.

Comment

okay, I'll try with these settings tomorrow. just one more thing - give me a quick tutorial about voltages pls

Comment

A Table!
              i7 950
              Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
              6GB STT Hypers 2133 8-8-8 21
              MSI GTX 470 GE
              Corsair HX1000
              SS or Dice/MW80/MCP655 Vario/MCR 320

Comment

Yeah, it was helpful. E.g., I didn't know the 1.3625 was considered max for 20 years MTBF. Actually, 1.3625 is supposed to be max for 940/950/960/965/975. For 920 it's 1.3750. (So I only assume mine is 1.3625)

Anyway, I don't expect to keep it for more than 5 years so I guess could go even up to 1.400 (bearing in mind my PC runs 24/7 in about 300 days per year, tho it's usage is mostly <10%)

But I was kinda hoping someone would mention the other voltages: IOH Core, ICH Core, IOH I/O, PCIE, QPI PLL, CPU PLL, and especially QPI/VTT.

Comment

This is the guide I used for my 920. Obviously yours will probably be a little different since you can scale better with your multipliers, but voltages should be similar.

Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 to 4.0ghz - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

For 4.3GHz, I used the voltages and got the clock to about 4.2GHz before I had to start adjusting. I raised everything a little then started testing for stability. When I decided it was stable, I would lower a certain voltage. If it was stable, I'd try again until it wasn't.
                  A Table!
                  i7 950
                  Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
                  MSI GTX 470 GE
                  Corsair HX1000

Comment

So I've tried what you guys suggested: Virtualization (Dis), LLC (En.), XMP (Dis.) + manual RAM timings, PCI-E Frequency (100)...

I tried both 133*32 and 166*26 (and similar). I even raised voltages to 1.26 (IOH, ICH...), 1.38125 (Vcore), 1.36 (VTT) and 1.66 (RAM).

In the process, I even tried the latest F9h BIOS, but that beta is a broke.

Well, nothing seems to be able to get me over 4200 MHz.

Comment

Originally posted by bossque View Post
                      So I've tried what you guys suggested: Virtualization (Dis), LLC (En.), XMP (Dis.) + manual RAM timings, PCI-E Frequency (100)...

I tried both 133*32 and 166*26 (and similar). I even raised voltages to 1.26 (IOH, ICH...), 1.38125 (Vcore), 1.36 (VTT) and 1.66 (RAM).

In the process, I even tried the latest F9h BIOS, but that beta is a broke.

Well, nothing seems to be able to get me over 4200 MHz.
                      It will probably take more voltage than that. For my 4.3GHz to be stable, I have to give it anywhere from 1.475V to 1.5V in the BIOS.
                      A Table!
                      i7 950
                      Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
                      MSI GTX 470 GE
                      Corsair HX1000

Comment

Originally posted by bassplayer View Post
                        It will probably take more voltage than that. For my 4.3GHz to be stable, I have to give it anywhere from 1.475V to 1.5V in the BIOS.
                        Well, judging from the BSOD which I get after firing up LinX, I'd say it does need more juice. With my current 133*31 settting, I'm giving it 1.3125 V + 1.30 V (Vcore+VTT) just because I can - because it's cool enough - just to feel sure. But it seems odd that it's stable on 1.28+1.28 @133*31, but to achieve 133*32, I'd have to go to 1.40 V or maybe even beyond... Well, isn't that weird that one hundred MHz more would require .15 or so more voltage?

Comment

Not really. Processors usually hit a block where they aren't nearly as efficient any more. For example, mine needs 1.28 (1.3V BIOS) for 4.0GHz. For 4.2GHz, I need more than 1.4V. The chip is rated at 2.66GHz for me and 3.33GHz (?) for you. That means it should be very efficient at that point. However, while overclocking does up performance, at a certain point it takes a toll on power consumption.

Now a rig running with a CPU at 2.66GHz isn't going to consume a whole lot less than a rig running the same CPU at 4.4GHz. There will be a difference, though.

I'd suggest giving it 1.425 to see if that's enough voltage to get it decently stable. Lots of voltage for a short period, assuming you don't make it to the point of no return, is fine.

If you're worried about how much you paid for your processor versus the performance you're getting out of it, set up a Dice or LN2 pot and watch that baby soar past any 920.

For example, the highest clock ever reached on a 975 was 6.16GHz. The highest on a 920 was 5.41GHz.

Core i7 Extreme 975
                          Core i7 920
                          Last edited by bassplayer; 10-12-2009, 07:32 PM.
                          A Table!
                          i7 950
                          Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9
                          MSI GTX 470 GE
                          Corsair HX1000

Comment

You are likely going to need more QPI/Vtt than 1.38, what BSOD are you getting, here is some of my findings on what a few mean most often

0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
                            0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
                            0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage

Comment

0X0000009C

That's what I get every time after a few seconds in LinX with any setting that's beyond 4.2 GHz.

Comment

Working...
                              X