GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Hmmmn - I'm not sure if I am getting closer to a solution or not ....

* - It is not the P-version of the board, and I didn't know sideport meant dedicated graphics memory. I didn't think is had dedicated graphics memory, but when I set it at 512M and checked with either Aida32, SiSoftSandra, or HWMonitor, it showed 1.5M of main memory and either 650 or 768 (I forget) of VRAM, so 100-200M of VRAM appeared from somewhere.

* I am running the HD in AHCI mode - it was my first SATA drive and I thought this was recommended. Can/should I switch it to something else? (Could this be causing the issues I am having?) Not sure which SATA driver I am running either.

* I didn't know you could download the individual drivers separately on the Catalyst page - thanks.

I had a different BSOD last night - a stop error, specifically:

STOP 0X0000008E (0XC000005, 0XBF2C1B4E, 0X93BF6B94, OX00000000)
    Ati3duag.dll - Address BF2C1B4E BASE at BF1C000
    Datestamp 4af19b5a

Google didn't help much ...

5 pages on the issue here, but nothing that seems applicable (I'm running SP3 so already have those KB fixes). I would almost try going with a dedicated Nvidia card as they seem to have less driver issues, but it seems they have NV4disp.dll driver issues.

It's not so annoying that I can't live with it, but I would like to find a solution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
      Hmmmn - I'm not sure if I am getting closer to a solution or not ....

* - It is not the P-version of the board, and I didn't know sideport meant dedicated graphics memory. I didn't think is had dedicated graphics memory, but when I set it at 512M and checked with either Aida32, SiSoftSandra, or HWMonitor, it showed 1.5M of main memory and either 650 or 768 (I forget) of VRAM, so 100-200M of VRAM appeared from somewhere.

I use Everest and it shows the amount of memory I have set in bios.

* I am running the HD in AHCI mode - it was my first SATA drive and I thought this was recommended. Can/should I switch it to something else? (Could this be causing the issues I am having?) Not sure which SATA driver I am running either.
      I didn't use AHCI for long after I discovered how little performance increase there was compared to IDE mode. I don't know how stable the AMD drivers are but extra low level drivers aren't worth the potential headache if they offer no significant performance gain. Your issues appear to be from the display drivers however, so AHCI isn't likely to be an issue.

Is this a clean install? I don''t recall having any bluescreens on my XP SP3 installation but I rarely use it.

Comment

Yes - clean install, although I slip-streamed the SATA drivers with Nlite so I wouldn't have to connect a floppy (that the system thinks I have now anyway).

Comment

(that the system thinks I have now anyway).
          Drive A
          Allows you to select the type of floppy disk drive installed in your system. If you do not install a floppy disk drive, set this item to None. Options are: None, 360K/5.25", 1.2M/5.25", 720K/3.5", 1.44M/3.5", 2.88M/3.5".
          Code:
          Standard CMOS Features
          Date (mm:dd:yy) Mon, Jun 15 2009
          Time (hh:mm:ss) 22:31:24
          } IDE Channel 0 Master [None]
          } IDE Channel 0 Slave [None]
          } IDE Channel 1 Master [None]
          } IDE Channel 1 Slave [None]
          } IDE Channel 2 Master [None]
          } IDE Channel 2 Slave [None]
          } IDE Channel 3 Master [None]
          } IDE Channel 3 Slave [None]
          Drive A [[COLOR="DarkRed"]NONE[/COLOR]]
          Floppy 3 Mode Support [Disabled]
          Halt On [All, But Keyboard]
          Base Memory 640K
          Extended Memory 1790M
          Last edited by artdrivers; 12-13-2009, 08:26 AM.
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
          http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
          Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
          Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
          Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
          4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
          (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
          (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
          (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
          Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
          Mid size ATX case with show through panel
          2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
          Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
          Logitech G500 USB mouse
          Monitor: CMV937A
          7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
          Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Thanks Artdrivers - I bet I missed that when I flashed the BIOS (although I'm more concerned about the BSOD's now).

Comment

That is your onboard graphics drivers. Have you tried control panel/add remove programs/uninstall/ATI Catalyst Install Manager? There they offer a choice if you want to uninstall the chipset drivers also. Uninstall all! Then scroll down and install the updated
              Chipset / VGA / SATA RAID drivers from here---> GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (rev. 1.0)
              Last edited by artdrivers; 12-13-2009, 09:03 AM.
              http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
              http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
              Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
              Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
              Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
              4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
              (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
              (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
              (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
              Mid size ATX case with show through panel
              2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
              Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
              Logitech G500 USB mouse
              Monitor: CMV937A
              7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
              Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Installed the new drivers - too early to tell if they helped, though.

Didn't work quite like you said, though ....

Catalyst Install Manager only mentioned removing the Display Driver and CCC when I chose Custom Uninstall, and the Display Driver and Install Manager were still listed in Add/Remove Programs afterward (although it gave an error if I tried to select and remove it). Uninstall ALL did come up with a screen that let me remove the Install Manager.

The new drivers did mention that they were installing new chipset drivers.

I wish it would say which Catalyst they were based on (9.7, 9.8, etc.)

BTW - I also installed the new Audio driver which fixed a problem I was also having with bad audio when recording with FRAPS. (I don't think the driver itself helped, but it reset all sound settings to default - which I think was what was needed).

Thanks again for all the help with this!!!
                Last edited by Tiger-Heli; 12-14-2009, 05:55 AM.

Comment

The display drivers from Gigabyte (9.8) are older than the ones on the AMD (9.11) site.

You can get the latest audio drivers directly from Realtek or one of the many mirror sites. The latest driver for XP is WDM_R238.exe.
                  Last edited by Flocons De Mais; 12-15-2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Stability is definitely better - it's too early to say the BSOD's are gone for good, but I used to have a big problem where the game would start fine when I first booted, but then if I exited and tried to re-start the game, it would say "Burnout Paradise has encountered an error and needs to close" - it would typically say that 10-60 times before it finally started again.

I re-started the game about six times last night and never saw that screen.

I also changed the AA and AF settings in the driver to Application Selected - so maybe that had something to do with it as well - or not …

I'd say the Gigabyte drivers have helped - I suppose I could go ahead and update the Display and sound drivers to the latest now - but I hate to change a working configuration ...

Thanks again!!!

Comment

• Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Just wanted to update - no more BSOD's or "Errors and needs to Close" for that matter.

Looks like the chipset driver update was indeed the problem.

And I DID have the floppy drive enabled in the BIOS - fixed now!!!!

Thanks to everyone here for the assistance and have a great holiday.

Comment

Working...
                      X