GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H EES and other BIOS questions

I'm pretty sure I had disable Alt Input selected on the Advanced tab of Regional settings, but I'll look again.

I have it killed now, I'm pretty sure, but I also have two removed .dll's, which can't be a recommended way of doing it.

I'm more excited that the USB Hub and mouse are working now!!!

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Hmmmmn, things are still not as rosy with the computer as I would like …

• First off, if they are not paying you for tech support here or at your day job, Artdrivers, they should be!!! I went into the language options and "Turn off advanced text services" was NOT checked. I checked it and then went into safe mode and renamed all my modified .dll.bak files back to .dll - still no sign of "New Briefcase" or ctfmon.exe. Good News!!!

However, I spoke too soon on the hub and mouse issues.

I did find out a bit more info:

• The hub mainly seems to have errors deleting files. I copied the entire contents of the USB drive to the HD twice through the hub with no errors, but I tried deleting three 30M each files and got an I/O error.
      • When the error occurs, the device seems to lock up. Clicking on the F:\ drive in Windows Exlplorer gives a "Not Found" error - Safely remove hardware does not work.
      • No data seems to be lost. Even though Safely remove Hardware fails, if I remove the drive anyway and plug it back in, the files it couldn't copy or move are there, as are the ones it failed trying to delete (and apparently all the others).
      • I think the mouse problem may be related to it, but can't say for sure - I had an I/O error Tuesday night and tried to make a Bart PE iso, and the mouse became sluggish, but I don't recall which happened first. Wednesday night, I had another I/O error and the mouse again became sluggish.
      • I have now re-run the USB cleanout and reload procedure and am testing copying the files to and from the USB drive using the extension cable but not the hub. I have had no errors with the USB drive at work, and have copied all the files over and deleted them once with the USB cable (without the hub), so I am pretty sure the problems can be traced to the hub.
      • Do hubs die, or is this an incompatibility issue? (I have had PS/2 mice that locked up one system before and worked fine for years on a different motherboard). Basically, what I mean is I don't want to toss this hub if it would work fine on for example my old system - and if it just died, I wouldn't mind getting a similar one to replace it - it's probably at least five years old. If it's incompatible, that would be a bad idea, though.

Assuming that works, I guess I am in the market for a USB hub if there isn't an easy way to make this one work with the current system. Remarks/Requirements:

• Hub should be inexpensive - I don't want to spend $20 when a $5 hub would do fine, but I don't want another $5 hub that doesn't work properly.
      • I would prefer to get something from MicroCenter - NewEgg will charge me more for shipping than the price of the hub, and they are local to me, have a good selection, and will take it back for a refund if it fails.
      • I need at least a 4-port hub with 4 of the ports facing forward. (I want to mount the hub on the side vertical wall of the hutch on the desk).
      • The present hub is about 1-inch square by 2-inches deep in a 2x2 port arrangement. (Looks like this). That isn't a firm requirement, but it has been convenient.
      • Probably does NOT need to be powered. The only things that get plugged into it are two different thumb drives, occasionally an MP3 player, and occasionally two trackballs - highest load at one time would be the MP3 player and one of the USB drives.

Comment

this

Comment

I have always avoided usb hubs. I use internal to external front and rear panel connectors. This way I get the voltage I need without the heat and problems that a USB hub can cause when relying on a single port to be split to multiports. These front panel connectors are much more reliable. I did'nt mind taking the extra time to install them. I did have to do a little case mod to get them installed. They are similar to these. These have a long enough wire for internal connection to those extra USB ports on the bottom of your motherboard.
          Google Image Result for http://www.silverpcs.com/images/front_usb_connector_a.jpg
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
          http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
          Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
          Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
          Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
          4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
          (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
          (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
          (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
          Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
          Mid size ATX case with show through panel
          2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
          Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
          Logitech G500 USB mouse
          Monitor: CMV937A
          7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
          Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

I've used those in the past also, but I want the convenience of a hub up near the monitor, and as I said, it's only running one device most of the time anyway ...

Comment

Did some more reading, and I can't confirm it officially, but I think the Zen Mozaic MP3 draws 500 mA when charging, and I assumed a 4-port non-powered hub would deliver 500 mA if only one device was connected, or 125 mA each if all were connected.

They may not work that way.

I am thinking I should either get an externally powered hub, or another cheap non-powered one but plug the Mozaic directly into the PC if using a non-powered one, and perhaps the Mozaic killed the hub, and it's just a coincidence it failed at the same time as the PC upgrade.

Hard to say, though ...

Comment

You can also purchase USB 2.0 extension wires and route them on spot where you need them. This will also be a 1on1 option and eliminate you having to get to the back of your PC. They are offered in many different lengths and sizes. You would want a A type male to female. I use these as well when I need to reach to the other PC with my keyboard.
                Here is one for reference.
                USB 2.0 Type A Extension Wire 6ft: CrazyPC Computers
                Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

True - that's what I fell back to when the hub died. (The hub was actually plugged into one as it only had about a six-inch cable).

Those are about $13 locally and would eventually require me to add more USB headers (but I guess that's your point).

I think another cheap hub will do fine for the trackballs and hopefully for the single USB thumbdrive, and I'll be careful in the future to not plug the MP3 player into the hub ...

Thanks again for all the assistance!!!!

Comment

Still haven't done anything with the USB hub - just using the extension cable for now. All seems well, but I do have one issue that I don't remember seeing before, so I thought I'd ask ...

I have about 7 programs that load on startup and go in the systray: 1st Clock, APC status monitor, AutoShutdown, MSRTweaker, MultiRes, Speedfan, Logitech Mouse Driver, AVG AntiVirus, etc.

A few load from the registry, but most load from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

If I let the PC finish loading, everything works fine - but if for example I start another program or go to Windows Explorer before they finish, only a couple of them load and I have to load the rest manually.

(I suspect moving them to the registry instead of the Startup folder would work, but I somewhat don't want to do this).

Is this a pretty common problem? (I don't think most other PC's I use have the issue).

Comment

Hi Tiger-Heli
                      (I suspect moving them to the registry instead of the Startup folder would work, but I somewhat don't want to do this).
                      I would not do this. I have been guilty of corrupting a OS by adding to Windows registery.

Is this a pretty common problem? (I don't think most other PC's I use have the issue).
                      I have never had this issue. I don't use AVG Antivirus software anymore since I got McAfee was offered free with my high speed cable provider.
                      You may want to check your AVG Antivirus software. Is it possible that AVG stops the programs from loading into taskbar? This sounds more like a issue with that, or something for Microsoft web support to help you with. I hope someone else may have some suggestions for you.
                      Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                      Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Thanks Artdrivers.

I don't think it's an issue with AVG. It happens pretty regularly if I access another program before the startup items complete and it never happens if I let them complete normally. Also starting them manually works fine always. Also AVG worked fine on my other systems without this issue.

Also - AVG is a bit too permissive - i.e. it is a good Anti-Virus, but it is not an Anti-Spyware or Anti-Rootkit - but it never claims to be. Personally, I like that - I've had issues with other AV programs slowing down my trusted apps.

It is likely a WinXP issue, but I've changed a bunch of things with NLite or TweakUI and MS Web Support will likely (possibly correctly) blame those, so I don't want to try that route.

I think I'll just be more patient, unless anyone else knows a fix. MSRTweaker was the one that bothered me, but now that I think about it, it loads as a service and is probably working - it's just the systray item for switching it from balanced to performance that is getting interrupted.

Comment

Thought I'd post here before continuing - some new issues, many issues resolved.

Startup items not loading was apparently some kind of malware. Don't remember what, but MalwareBytes found some kind of "startup" something of other and I deleted it and hasn't happened since.

Mouse issue seems to be resolved after Logitech sent me a V220 rather than V320 under warranty.

USB issue seems to have been resolved with a new cheap USB hub from Office Depot, but I'm being careful not to plug the MP3 player into the hub.

Lately, however, I have been having issues with BSOD's. Odd issues - STOP errors, IRQ less than zero, Video driver errors, etc. Typically with the Burnout Paradise game, but happened once with other apps. Oddly, no errors with Microsoft Memory Tester or Prime95 or OCCT???

I dropped the memory from 1600 to 1333 with no other changes (could have probably bumped the voltage instead, but more worried about stability than speed).

BSOD's are less frequent and the one's I get now seem to be only related to the ATIDVAG is caught in an infinite loop.

I am planning to try the following in order, but wouldn't mind advice on the issue:
                          • Search for and delete ATIDVAG.exe if present. Change PCI TO PCI driver per this page.
                          • Update Catalysts to 9.11 - I think I am running 9.6.
                          • Maybe flash BIOS - I think I am running F1, there is an F3 and F4Beta out, but neither address the issue, but I don't know what if anything F2 did.
                          • Worst case, install an Nvidia PCIe card, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Thanks again in advance - sorry for not updating sooner, but with intermittent problems like I was having you are never sure if you have fixed the problem or just fixed the problem for today!!!

Comment

I would put BIOS update on the top of the list!! Use the latest beta, what you see in the change log only mentions a few changes, in each update there are MANY changes they do not list, so don't worry about if you see something you need fixed mentioned or not. Just update to the latest beta

And yes, update ATI Drivers next

Comment

Okay, will do - I actually moved it to the end based on a previous thread by you saying not to do it unless you were having an issue that the BIOS said it would resolve and that the beta bioses could be problematic.

Dumb newbie questions - I'm assuming that any previous changes (memory voltage and timings, etc.) will be lost in the flash, so I should write them down beforehand, correct?

I know you are supposed to use DriverCleaner or similar when switching from ATI to Nvidia drivers or vice versa. Wouldn't hurt when upgrading from ATI 9.6 to ATI 9.11, but would it still be recommended?

Do you think the "PCI to PCI bridge" driver suggestion has any merit and if so when would you try it? (Oddly, there are a ton of suggestions for Ati2dvag going back 3 years and ranging from anything from the PCI bridge, to BIOS, updates, to driver updates, to chipset driver updates, to cleaning the GPU fan (mine is fanless and onboard), to updating the video drivers manually rather than using the ATI install program.

Comment

That is just general warnings really, I personally do always suggest using the latest BIOS.

Maybe I need to update/change/remove that thread.

Yes, all settings will be lost when you flash the BIOS, Write them down as reference, especially your SATA/Disk settings. All your overclock settings may need adjusted differently in a new BIOS, but your old settings should give you a good starting point.

I update ATI Drivers like you mention, new ones right over old ones, and never have any issues.

I have no clue what PCI to PCI Bridge is or what it is supposed to do, maybe is that some AMD Specific thing? If so, I don't know and that would be why. If it is AMD related then you may need to ask Artdrivers about it.

I suggest updating ATI CCC fully with the installer program, then if issues remain try the other things you are talking about

Comment

Working...
                                X