Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-DS3L with continual memory issues

Originally posted by nimdok View Post
    Finally, one quick question I have is that the stock heatsink over the CPU seems to always be room temperature - is this normal? Not even warm, it doesn't seem to be radiating any heat at all -- perhaps it could not be seated right. I'll definitely be checking it later tonight unless this is normal.
    The finger is not avery accurate temperature sensor, and the outer edge is the coolest part of the HS, it's probably much warmer towars the center and below, I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    As Psycho101 wrote, CPU temps dropped with with open case, it seems to be ok, and IMO the open case temps looks right too, what CPU temp does EasyTune show?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      The finger is not avery accurate temperature sensor, and the outer edge is the coolest part of the HS, it's probably much warmer towars the center and below, I wouldn't worry too much about that.
      As Psycho101 wrote, CPU temps dropped with with open case, it seems to be ok, and IMO the open case temps looks right too, what CPU temp does EasyTune show?
      With the case open, EasyTune shows a idle CPU temp of 31C when CoreTemp and RealTemp show a temp of 38C.

Under load, it shows 53C while the other programs are 58C.

For further reference, apparently RealTemp works well with E8400 according to a few other sites - and here is the result of a sensor test to show that nothing is stuck and they seem to be operating fine; I just haven't bothered to calibrate any software temp programs yet. RealTemp's TJMax is set to 100C, and the case is open.

Comment

Originally posted by nimdok View Post
        the stock heatsink over the CPU seems to always be room temperature - is this normal?
        No, it's definitely not normal. That was what I wrote before - check if the radiator is well seated.

Comment

Yes the distance between the DTSs and the thermal diode seems reasonable.
          Idle diode temps maybe a little high than they should but nothing critical, can't realy tell unless you have a thermometer to measure room temp.

Comment

Room temperature near the computer is still 22C.

Comment

I had about 50c under load at 20c ambiant with syock cooler, though I later found out there was a sticker on the side of the CPU IHS, ,aybe you have room for improvement with the stock cooler but not much.

Comment

For an actively cooled stock heatsink to be cool(ish) to the touch isn't abnormal. Even my TRUE doesn't get noticibly warm and it keeps my E7400 at ~70c in IBT at 3.9GHz, 1.424V.

Before you take the cooler off, make sure you have some TIM to use when re-seating it. I wouldn't bother taking it off TBH, just making sure the push pins are in propperly.
                Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Alright, I went ahead and bought a new CPU HSF and an intake fan for the front of the case.

Bought a COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520.

Idle temps are about the same as they were before with the case off, now with the case on (40C, ambient temp is about 33C).

The temperature under load is now 50-51C, which is about a 10-20 degree difference. I can't get it above 53 on any test I run (case on).

I'll wait and see if my problem reappears now, hopefully this solved it!

Comment

I hope so.

Your temps look good. With a 32c ambient they look VERY good. The combo of a bit of fresh air in and a decent cooler seem to have worked their magic.

I had a look at a mates 182 and the grills around the doors are wider than they seem in photos so there may just be the right amount of air for the intake to get a hold of. There was no tell tale noise of a fan struggling on his config with the door closed. He said he was still going to mesh the entire door (cut out to the frame and using speaker grille like materials).
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                      Your temps look good. With a 32c ambient they look VERY good. The combo of a bit of fresh air in and a decent cooler seem to have worked their magic.
                      Indeed very good unless it's a typo, last time they were said to be 23c, I get 57c+ with the same clock at 32c ambiant.
                      Anyway with the new intake and CPU HS with 2 fans air flow should be much better all around including the NB and far ram slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                        Indeed very good unless it's a typo, last time they were said to be 23c, I get 57c+ with the same clock at 32c ambiant.
                        Anyway with the new intake and CPU HS with 2 fans air flow should be much better all around including the NB and far ram slot.
                        Not a typo, there was a small heatwave in California. At the moment, however, it's 24C ambient temp., and my cores while idle are 37C. Under load they hit 47C.

Should I be worrying that the idle temps are so much higher than the ambient, even though the load temps seem pretty good? I suppose my system still isn't as well ventilated as it could be?

Idle temps according to EVEREST Ultimate:
                        Last edited by nimdok; 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

No, in general, idle temps aren't important. If the cores never go under 38c regardless of ambient temperature, then they're probably stuck at idle. As they both move fine under load, that's not an issue

If they're really high, then something is wrong. Otherwise it's cool. If the sensors aren't both stuck then making sure EIST and C1E are enabled may drop idle temps by a degree or two. Any ventilation problems would show up best under load, when the most heat is being produced.
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Working...
                          X