Changing thermalpaste on X48 DS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changing thermalpaste on X48 DS4

I have an Antec 1200 case with a side fan on as an intake so i decided to do some testing - the NB sensor in everest under load after 15 min of Large FTT was reporting 36-37 deg C. I took the panel of for just over a minute, and that went to 38-39 deg C. I put it back on and it dropped to 37. So if that MB sensor is correct, under load the NB temp is around 37 deg. Thats not that high.

That was on 460 x 8.5 = 3910 Mhz, Ram on 460 x 2.4 = 1104 (5-5-5-15, static tread value on 7). FSB overvoltage on +0.1, NB on +0.125, CPU showing ~1.328V in CPU-Z

Comment

Ok, i've done that, easiest thing i have ever done! I unscrewed it, pushed those pins and pulled them out carefully and it just came off - The chip itself on the board has a heat spreader which is rather surprising, and there was a thermal pad, not a thermal paste which i peeled off from the sink. Then i had some old thermal paste, tested it out if it makes contact, wiped it off with 70% Alchocol, put some MX2 on there, spread it even with a credit card and placed everything back on. I tested with Lagre FFT in slightly hotter circumstances (room temp) and the MB temp sensor is reading probably one or two lower than before, and the heatsink itself on touch is a bit cooler now, but the pipes are about the same - thats expected.

Now let's crank it up to +0.2V, and go 4Ghz :D

PS. Forgot to take pics, would have been nice

Comment

The NB had a heatspreader??? I have never seen this on any boards

SB Yes, but not the NB

Comment

NB had a heatspreader like a CPU, definately, it had a code on it sayng Swhatever, Intel Confidential 07 i think it was

Something like that
          Last edited by Filip; 08-23-2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Ahh, so maybe you have a pre-production ES board? That would be why

Comment

If the thermal paste was limiting the amount of heat being transfered from chip to HS then you would actually have to take your hand off it sooner after changing the TIM. If you could touch it for longer, you'd have done something wrong.
              Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
              Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
              Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
              TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
              2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
              2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
              Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
              Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
              WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
              Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
              Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
              3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
              Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Well, the pipe going across is actually hotter now, and MB sensor is reporting 33 with +0.175V instead of the 37 at +0.125V. Heatsink is about the same.

I don't know if it is a pre production board, it is rev. 1.3.

Have the box with all the stuff with it

Comment

Hmm, first I heard of any production products with Intel confidential on them, that is ES normally.

And I have seen X48 chipset myself, normal bare silicon like the rest on the ones I saw

Maybe I am remembering wrong and they did have a spreader, but they would not have said Confidential unless they were ES boards/chipsets.

Comment

I don't know if it was confitential need to open it again. I'll probably do that sometime since it is so easy to do
                    Last edited by Filip; 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Well I have not seen an ES CPU, but a heatsink on it would be a way they would hide it so it sounds to me like it is ES chipset

Here is a damaged ES CPU I was sent, so you can see it also says confidential.

If your heatsink says Confidential on it or looks similar to that then it is for sure an ES board, irregardless of if the X48 has a heatsink cover on it normally or not.

Did you buy the board at a large retailer, or small one, or even from a person instead of retailer?
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I bought it from a large place, official distributor for Gigabyte in the country north of me (Serbia), they also have some shops here. Dam i need to open it again to check

I hope it's not a bad thing if it is an ES
                        Last edited by Filip; 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

No it is not a bad thing necessarily, just meant that only product reviewers, testers, and companies are supposed to get ES Products. They are for testing only, owned by Intel always, and are pre-production products.

You should never be able to purchase a ES Product from a store as Intel Owns it and it is not for sale.

Comment

Working...
                          X