Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEWARE ! of validation

Watch out for cpu-z validation rubbish
    Ive seen some sites where people dont accept opinions/advice etc unless they see the cpu-z validation link.
    The link itself is rubbish tho ,mho.

I think,if i worked at it a little I could get 3.7Ghz on air cooling for a validation for my cpu,but it would be like playig a con game.
    Mainly beacause the test takes only a few minutes.

Im including a screenshot ,that has gimped memory timings and using very hi voltages .
    As u can see,one worker fails after 14 min but for "validation" that wouldnt show!
    Attached Files
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Re: BEWARE ! of validation

The reason for a validation link is so that you can show your highest overclock (or current for that matter). 80% of the time they're just for show and not 24/7 stable.. maybe bench stable but not stable enough to run LinX or Prime for a sustained time frame.

For example, I'm sure a lot of Lsdmeasap's overclocks are barely enough to run a SuperPI. When you're running 1.5V+, it can get a little hot and unless you have an endless supply of LN2, DICE, or a cascade I doubt you could run at those speeds 24/7.

Also, the validation link prevents the user from editing and falsifying his own clock.

Comment

Yes, alot of validations are made solely to show a "MAX" Something, they are not always "Stable" as one might say they are. Some people, like myself, often push for a MAX of something only, and then later if time permits test things a bit lower for stability. I was doing Dice runs this past week so I was limited by time for sure so I did not have any time for stability testing as my ice was disappearing and I was just learning the ropes

As said above alot of people, including myself, often post a "MAX" something meant to be just that, a Max they reached for bragging rights or just to show what they pushed there hardware to and they do not at all imply any stability.

Now if someone is claiming something is stable per some software but only showing a validation then you need to ask where the stability screenshots are at!

Validation would show those memory timings though, in case you were unaware of that

As linked above, my max Blck of 237 was for sure not something stable, nor did I even test it as I knew better

232 Blck I did a small test a few times, SuperPI 1MB but of course that can't be considered stable by any means either, only 1MB SuperPI Stable and that is all I will claim as that is all I tested at the time (Just in case you was referring to my validation posts) I have many Validations at through 225-238/4.7-5Ghz I collected while trying to push max Blck, and max CPU Freq.

Here is that screenshot of said stability

Click to Enlarge

Validations I made at that speed, with different timings though as I was changing many things very quickly to try to find some things out.

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Comment

Well perhaps I should have said beware of using others validations as a guide to what your pc should run at.
        Fine for showing a max youve done or what pc will run at for a few min as long as people dont get the idea that theyre what all should aim for:
        As I said Ive seen sites where the "validation link" is expected for conservative advice and the validation itself is only a "snapshot".
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I concur.

I can see how finding an absolute maximum could be fun. It's a great way of pushing your components to the max. Unfortunately I haven't had an exceptional socket 775 CPU to do such things with. Both the chips I've owned are so called "budget" models, so aren't exactly top binned silicon.

Definitely don't take validation links as a definite indication of what to expect from your own components, be they identical or similar. There are posts on every forum of people being disapointed that for example their E5400 won't do 4.2GHz, and they believe it should because someone else posted a validation. CPU's are as different as people. There are so many different variations and characteristics that every single one is different.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

What I hate about Cpu-z validation is that it blanks out the core voltage. It would at least give you a better idea at what they had to through at it to get it to that max speed.
            Main Rig
            Gigabyte z87x-OC
            Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
            G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
            Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
            Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
            HiS ATI HD 6950
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
            Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
            Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
            Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
            CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
            Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
            EK Supremacy Cpu Block
            Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
            Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
              I concur.

I can see how finding an absolute maximum could be fun. It's a great way of pushing your components to the max. Unfortunately I haven't had an exceptional socket 775 CPU to do such things with. Both the chips I've owned are so called "budget" models, so aren't exactly top binned silicon.

Definitely don't take validation links as a definite indication of what to expect from your own components, be they identical or similar. There are posts on every forum of people being disapointed that for example their E5400 won't do 4.2GHz, and they believe it should because someone else posted a validation. CPU's are as different as people. There are so many different variations and characteristics that every single one is different.
              Yes, reaching the max CPU-Z validation is the stuff of bragging rights and not much more. But it can be a lot of fun. Can anyone with a Q6600 beat my 4275 score?

CPU-Z Validator 3.1
              QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
                What I hate about Cpu-z validation is that it blanks out the core voltage. It would at least give you a better idea at what they had to through at it to get it to that max speed.
                I agree, I HATE that as well. I think Franck@x86 has said why this is but sorry I could not find the thread. I do believe if I remember correctly it is so that users do not look at/through uploaded validations and try the higher voltages shown on some validations and end up killing their CPU's.

Originally posted by gampamu View Post
                Yes, reaching the max CPU-Z validation is the stuff of bragging rights and not much more. But it can be a lot of fun. Can anyone with a Q6600 beat my 4275 score?

CPU-Z Validator 3.1
                Yeap, A member here Fatguy1992

545 FSB
                Q6600 @ 535FSB 4 Cores / 545FSB 2 Cores - XtremeSystems Forums

4.545 (Phase) + 4.1 (Air)
                Golden Q6600 - XtremeSystems Forums

Sorry, you asked and I just had looked at one of his posts at XS so I had to reply for him since he may not read this post to brag about his setup

Don't feel bad, I can't win for trying either But you are right, it is fun and nice to be able to brag about a high score on anything, even if you are not the winner. It is also nice to see others validations to give yourself something to work towards, or sometimes to see that you have beat someones score
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-17-2009, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Yeah, fatguy1992 has a very nice chip. It was actually his results that inspired me to push for the high clock.
                  Last edited by gampamu; 07-17-2009, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't brag about an overclock unless it was stable in Prime95 small, large & blend.

Comment

It's a different kind of overclocking and it can be a lot of fun.

Comment

On youtube, I've seen ppl get 6-7ghz overclocks using liquid nitro & dry ice.

I've always thought it was kinda pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          I agree, I HATE that as well. I think Franck@x86 has said why this is but sorry I could not find the thread. I do believe if I remember correctly it is so that users do not look at/through uploaded validations and try the higher voltages shown on some validations and end up killing their CPU's.
                          well I guess with the new Cpu-z they fixed the missing Vcore in the validation.

CPU-Z Validator 3.1
                          Main Rig
                          Gigabyte z87x-OC
                          Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                          Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                          Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                          HiS ATI HD 6950
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                          Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                          Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                          Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                          EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                          Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                          Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure why they do that! Very annoying!

well I guess with the new Cpu-z they fixed the missing Vcore in the validation.

CPU-Z Validator 3.1
                            Good to hear :)
                            i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
                            24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
                            Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
                            3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
                            EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
                            EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
                            Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                            X