Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EX58-UD4P Overclocking

Originally posted by demonsavatar View Post
    Yeah with those numbers you don't appear to be a memory-bound. Post when you have some results with the new processor, though I would think the board would be the more likely candidate.

Also, do you know what batch your CPU is?

Do you really think the MB could be the problem?? I ask this because it seems the MC is processor bound so would that not take the MB out of the equation? I do not know which is why I ask...

I mean I will just RMA the board at the same time if there is a good probability the MB is the problem.

Oh and the batch # of the processor I posted above (batch# 3836B232)

Comment

Well, pushing the memory and uncore multipliers pushes the north bridge and all the power controls on the mobo too. I say the mobo could be a problem because there are just so many variables there with power phases, wiring, northbridge chips--all which come from different places and are assembled.

I would do a search on google with the first 4-5 characters of your CPU batch and see what people are getting. Within batches the CPU's can be considered fairly similar. If they are also being limited by the MC on different boards, then RMA the CPU first. If you can't find anything or they aren't being limited by the MC, maybe try RMAing just the mobo or both the mobo and CPU at the same time.

I would like to see what LSDMEASAP has to say though :)

Mabye mobo's have batch numbers somewhere too? Then we can start comparing our UD4P's even :)
      i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
      24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
      Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
      3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
      EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
      EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
      Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Comment

So far I have had little success finding any information on the batch number as it seems to be either a relatively new one or a there is a much more limited supply of them.

Comment

Yeah I ran a quick search and didn't find much on that batch. Because of that I am probably leaning towards the CPU just because I haven't heard many people being limited by their UD4Ps :). Then again, if I was limited by my mobo, how exactly would I know...?
          i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
          EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

Comment

Originally posted by demonsavatar View Post
            Yeah I ran a quick search and didn't find much on that batch. Because of that I am probably leaning towards the CPU just because I haven't heard many people being limited by their UD4Ps :). Then again, if I was limited by my mobo, how exactly would I know...?
            Exactly.

Comment

Ya, I would suspect CPU being more of a issue then the UD4P, this is a great board. They used these boards for the GOOC Worldwide Overclock Championships so I think the board model itself is strong. That does not mean your board is not iffy, but I would think CPU before anything else

To give you an Idea of what I have ran with this board here is a few shots from a review I am working on. I did not have time to try lowering voltages because I only had this CPU for a few weeks for a review on this memory so any or all of the voltages may be much higher then I needed I just did not have time to really see.

I ran 1980 with Performance Enhance on Extreme with only 1.41-1.43 >>>

Click to Enlarge

Likely less QPI would be needed, this was just a quick run before I had to return the 965 I borrowed from Gigabtye

Here is 1900 Performance Enhance on Extreme Fully tested stable 1.415 QPI/Vtt (Still could have maybe been less, no time to test)

And I can do 220 Blck with only 1.32 QPI with 2 different CPU's (920 and 965) on this board so again I do not think the board itself is a issue unless you think your board particularly is faulty

Comment

First I am in the process of RMAing the processor and it should be here sometime next week.

If I get the same batch number I may have to burn the processor !@#$@#$, as this will make determining the problem that much harder. Then if I still am having problems with very high voltage (if I get a dif batch number) I will try to RMA the board, although the Gigabyte web site makes it very hard to find a support phone number...

Finally what exactly does the performance standard, turbo, extreme do?

Comment

Originally posted by DaEnigma View Post
                  First I am in the process of RMAing the processor and it should be here sometime next week.

If I get the same batch number I may have to burn the processor !@#$@#$, as this will make determining the problem that much harder. Then if I still am having problems with very high voltage (if I get a dif batch number) I will try to RMA the board, although the Gigabyte web site makes it very hard to find a support phone number...

Finally what exactly does the performance standard, turbo, extreme do?
                  Give us an update when you get it. My 3841A is treating me quite well. LSDMEASAP, what is your batch of the 920?

I would also like to know exactly what the standard, turbo, and extreme profiles do. I think it may just be more aggressive memory timings for those obscure settings I don't quite understand.
                  Last edited by demonsavatar; 04-30-2009, 06:18 PM.
                  i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
                  EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

Comment

yeah, I too want to know what the performance enhance does?

Comment

I am not sure of the batch # I have, I know it is an ES CPU so not anything like you guys have, likely worse off then production models. I think it may be 3830A446 from my firefox history, but I had 2 920's due to one had a crushed PCB Corner, but I do think they were both the same batch though, but not positive

I know the Missing Multi's are very frustrating! I do not know how to check without removing my block or I would let you know. If you know a way let me know and I will check it out. As for my block, I do plan a reseat here but not for a month or so and we will all forget about this thread by then : )

Performance Enhance on X58 is different than P35/P45 since there is no tRD. So I am really not sure exactly what all it changes. I do know it tightens up the Northbridge/QPI timings, but not sure how all of that works or if it changes anything else as well

Comment

The batch number is only on the retail box and stamped on the processor.

When I get the new processor I will update you on my progress, as I would still love your help tweaking the processor and memory timings.

Comment

Ya, I thought so. Just thought maybe there was a app I was not thinking of that could show it and I just forgot.

Comment

OK got the new processor and now we should know for sure if the processor was the problem...

i7-920
                            S-Spec: SLBEJ
                            FPO/Batch# 3844A716

I will now proceed in installing and we will begin the testing once again!

Comment

Nice, that's a D0 stepping I believe. Once you get things up and running, mind trying to see how much it can push stable at stock voltages?

I am running my i7 at 183BCLK x 21 = 3.84Ghz at stock voltages with all power saving features enabled except DES (gives a performance penalty).

Using my watt-meter I found that pushing for the extra 4% clock speed to get to 4Ghz takes 17% more power at idle than my current overclock and even more at load (can't remember the load numbers off the top of my head). Compare that to the 7% increase in power at idle for the 38% increase in clock speed for my overclock without changing any voltages (except the ram to 1.66)! Also my CPU loves me for keeping it cooler by not fiddling with voltages :)
                              i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
                              EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

Comment

I used the settings from page 1 except I left QPI VTT and CPU on auto, and it seems to work fine!!

Also the turbo mode is pushing it to 3.9 or so...

So that other batch was utter crap.

Now We can move on to the hard clocking!

Comment

Working...
                                X