GA-E7AUM-DS2H : DES Turned Off upon Reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-E7AUM-DS2H : DES Turned Off upon Reboot

I just built a new computer with a GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard. Running 64-bit Vista. Great board! Quick and rock solid! I have one annoying problem:

Every time I reboot the computer, the Dynamic Energy Saver is turned off. I get the following message from the BIOS before boot:

"Warning: DES is turned off!! Please use DES application to turn it on again. Press any key to continue."

This really sucks because I have to press a key every time to get it to boot. Not to mention, the DES is INDEED turned off, because the power LED will flash every few seconds when it is turned on, so it is easy to know when it is working and when it's not.

Turning it on in the application, will start DES, but as soon as the computer is rebooted, it will be turned off again.

I contacted Gigabyte's Global Technical Service, which is all but useless! This is the worst support I've ever experienced. They suggested that I uninstall and reinstall the application, and also suggested that I load optimal defaults in the BIOS. I have followed both of these recommendations and neither has helped.

My guess is that there is either a bug in the F2 (latest) BIOS which is not allowing the DES app to save settings, or the DES app itself is not successfully saving settings to the BIOS. Perhaps it could be due to DES being a 32-bit app running under the emulator in Vista 64-bit?

Hoping someone has experienced this and can offer some advice.

Re: GA-E7AUM-DS2H : DES Turned Off upon Reboot

I have a totaly different mobo, UD3P but thought I would try and help. There was another thread where people were having issues with DES not saving setting, meaning it would be off every reboot.

On mine after some testing I found that if I turn DES on then reboot it will be Off on next reboot, although I dont get any messages.

The fix for me is, turn DES on, then close it, it will say something about DES will keep running in "stealth mode", hit yes or OK. Then every reboot it will automatically be turned on at startup. Please try this and see if it works
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Tried it, no workee.

Comment

Uninstall DES, that will fix it right up.

Then if you want to use it I would suggest you try the latest Version or you may have to wait for a BIOS update. Latest Versions are here >>>
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-27-2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I uninstalled the DES software, but when I rebooted I still get the message from the BIOS that DES in turned off. So this hasn't fixed the issue. How do I make the BIOS message go away?

Comment

Clear your CMOS of flash the latest BIOS back into the board. If you do plan to flash or do not know how to clear your CMOS please see this thread they are both explained >>>

You may also be able to fix it just by disabling EIST and C1E in the advanced page of the BIOS. Then boot into the system, and then reboot back to the BIOS and enable these again

Comment

I have exactly the same problem, same mobo, 64-bit Windows and it complains DES is disabled every time I reboot. And I can't even press any key since my USB-keyboard doesn't work at that time, I have to plug in a PS2-keybord just to press space!

Nothing seems to help. I have flashed F3a BIOS, cleared CMOS and DMI, uninstalled @BIOS and DES applications, reinstalled latest versions.... still stuck There ought to be a simple option in setup to enable DES, so you don't need to use the ugly application.

marty45714, did you ever solve this?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                You may also be able to fix it just by disabling EIST and C1E in the advanced page of the BIOS. Then boot into the system, and then reboot back to the BIOS and enable these again
                Tried exactly that now, did not help either.

DES turned off after reboot, I have to run the DES-application every time windows starts to enable it.

Comment

Do not use DES = Problem solved

Sorry, not fully sure what your exact issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Do not use DES = Problem solved
                    Sorry, not fully sure what your exact issue is.
                    Unfortunately that doesn't solve it either since DES is obviously disabled and the issue is that the POST boot process halts every time to complain about this.

Now I have tried to set "Halt on no errors" in BIOS setup, cleared CMOS both by removing battery and by shorting the reset jumper. Nothing helps. Just seems the DES application doesn't save its state to CMOS.

Comment

WOOPS: Missed that SpeedEuphoria had already suggested this 0.0

Hi,

Check my post #5 in this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/dpc-...x58-ud5-30547/

DES does indeed stay ON even after uninstall, unless you follow the steps in above link.
                      I think it has something to do with "Stealth Mode"...

EDIT: (Pasting steps here for convenience.)

-Click "On" (Big button on right with "dynamic energy saver" written).
                      -Click the "X" to close the program
                      -It will ask you something about Stealth mode, Click "No"
                      The feature is now disabled until you use the program again and reenable.
                      Last edited by C3D76; 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM.
                      Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
                      Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
                      i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
                      Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Comment

Originally posted by C3D76 View Post
                        -Click "On" (Big button on right with "dynamic energy saver" written).
                        -Click the "X" to close the program
                        -It will ask you something about Stealth mode, Click "No"
                        The feature is now disabled until you use the program again and reenable.
                        Yes, that's correct, you can disable DES that way..... but it already is off that's what's causing the problem with the halt on every reboot.
                        I would like to do the opposite, to turn DES on and that it remains on after reboot. Or at least disable the warning and halt when booting.

Comment

Originally posted by demoniak View Post
                          Yes, that's correct, you can disable DES that way..... but it already is off that's what's causing the problem with the halt on every reboot.
                          I would like to do the opposite, to turn DES on and that it remains on after reboot. Or at least disable the warning and halt when booting.
                          How about if you you say "YES" when it asks you if you want ot use "Stealth Mode" ?

Comment

Originally posted by C3D76 View Post
                            How about if you you say "YES" when it asks you if you want ot use "Stealth Mode" ?
                            Doh ;-) Off course I've tried that, but it doesn't save its state so after restart it's off again.

I've noticed there is a process called "GSvr.exe" that is launched and stays resident by the DES-application ("gest.exe"). Don't know what this process does, doesn't seem to matter if I terminate it or not.

Is this maybe a problem with 64-bit Windows? Anyone with 32-bit that can verify that it works to keep DES enabled?

Comment

Just making sure :)

I remember having the same problem as you once.
                              But I don't remember exactly what fixed it: DES or BIOS reset/update, or changing Cpu options in BIOS (C1E, EIST,...)...

Comment

Working...
                              X