GA-E7AUM-DS2H : DES Turned Off upon Reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-E7AUM-DS2H : DES Turned Off upon Reboot

I have discovered that DES remains enabled after resume from powersave/sleep but not after hybrid sleep/hibernate, restart or cold boot.

Comment

Has anyone been able to fix this problem ? I have the exact same motherboard (GA-E7AUM-DS2H). I initially installed Vista x64 and I installed the drivers and software that came with the motherboard. After 5 months running I noticed that the des application saved me only 1%, so I uninstalled the software. Since my pc is always running, I didn't really noticed the message at boot, or didn't pay attention to it. 2 months ago I upgraded to Windows 7 RC and needed to reboot a few times, it started to bug me. So I went looking for answers. I resetted the CMOS, both with the jumper and battery. I flashed the latest BIOS. Still that damn message. I thought it must be in the bootsector. So last weekend I formatted my disks, I even deleted my RAID configuration totally. I installed the new Windows 7 RTM (no beta, but the real deal) and the message just keeps coming. I tried to install the DES tool, but it crashes on Windows 7.

What's my next move ?

Comment

The solution is irrational:
        - Boot into Windows 7
        - Start DES
        - Turn DES on
        - Close the application by clicking on "X"
        - Answer NO to the Stealth Mode

You should now be able to boot normally again

Comment

If you do not install the program, or uninstall it such as a format, it would not be installed thus not ask you things such as this.

I think you may be installing it without noticing via Express Install off the CD maybe?

Comment

I must dissapoint you. I only installed it with the first Vista x64. Deinstalled it while still with vista. Reinstalled vista x86, upgraded my vista x86 to Windows 7 RC. Formatted and installed windows 7 RTM.

With windows 7 everything is recognized by default. No drivers were needed. But I did install the windows 7 ready nvidia drivers.

I can guarantee you that I have NOT inserted the gigabyte-drivers cd. Heck, I probably don't have it anymore.

I would love to install it so maybe I could disable it. But it crashes upon installation, because it windows 7 isn't supported yet.

I hope gigabyte releases a windows 7 version of the des utility soon. Unless some bright soul can tell were to erase the setting. It must be in the bios somewhere, still clearing cmos and flash bios, does not resolve it. Man, I even just tried this : I removed my harddrives and the cmos-battery. Removed the powercable and put a jumper on the reset cmos pins. Message is still there. I attached pictures of it. Who's next !

Comment

Very odd!!

And you said you have Cleared the CMOS fully and also flashed different BIOS versions right? Odd if so!

Can you please try clearing the CMOS Fully using my method outlined in post #2 here, just to be sure

Do you still see that message if you disable C1E and EIST?

The latest DES Version supports windows 7 I do believe, you just may need to install it in Vista mode. If you do not know how to do that, you right click the installer file and choose properties and then compatibility tab and choose Vista SP1 or SP2. Then once installed also do the same to the program .exe file in the programs folder (Check x86 and normal programs if using x64 Windows 7)

Here is the latest
              GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Utility

If you need, I can test in windows 7 RC, let me know.

Comment

Yes, I cleared the bios fully, because it displays the message that the bios is cleared and asks if I want to load a saved version (i choose no ofcourse).

And yes, that is the procedure i followed to update the bios version. (using a usb-stick and the qflash utility)

I haven't tried to disable C1E and EIST yet. I'll try that this evening. If that fails, I'll try to install the des utility in compatibility mode.

I'll keep posting

Comment

Well good luck and keep us posted on your testing progress.

One thing you can try is flashing from DOS with AWDflash and some switch modifiers to be sure the old BIOS, DMI, and CMOS get fully removed. If your further tests don't help you get this sorted out let me know and I can advise you on how to go about the flashing with AWDFlash I mentioned

Comment

Hi,
                    ok, so first I tried to disable C1E and EIST in the advanced bios settings. Unfortunatly, no luck, the message was still there.
                    So I re-enabled C1E and EIST again.

Then I downloaded the DES utility from your suggested location and ran the setup as administrator in Vista SP2 compatibility mode. The installation went well. I rebooted as suggested.

Then I set the ges.exe application to run in vista sp2 compatibility mode as well and launced it. It gave a security warning about changing computer settings but I proceeded. The des utility seems to run fine. Then I clicked on the X and the stealth mode question came up. I tried to answer yes and that generated following error :

"UpdateBiosSetting function value=85 failure!! Mapping 1"

Rebooted => still the message.

I also tried answering "no" and tried Vista SP1 compatibility mode. That changed the error value in "87" and "80", but did not solve it either.

So... will you guide me through the AWDflash method ?

Comment

Hmm, this is very odd. Maybe this program just isn't made to fully be compatible with windows 7 yet, looks like I may need to test. That or it is not liking your board, ?

Here is AWDflash
                      awd873.zip

You will need to flash from DOS using this command >>>
                      awdflash.exe biosfilename.Fxx /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /r

An example of this here with BIOS F8
                      awdflash.exe E7AUMDS2H.F8 /cc /cd /cp /py /sn /r

I just realized neither DES nor Easytune is listed as compatible for your board, did DES Come on the CD for your board or did you just download and install it trying to see if it worked? I do see DES listed on the overview page for your board so it may be fine though.

If we don't get it rest assured after the 31st of August I will get a report on this thread sent in for you and see if I can get an answer from the BIOS engineers for you about this.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the program came with the cd.
                        I'll create a dos disk tonight and will try the flash utility.

Comment

K, good luck with the flash. Keep us posted

Comment

e7aumd2h.f3a is the latest i could find on the gigabyte support site.
                            (f3a is my current version btw)

You were talking about e7aumds2h.f8 ?

Comment

It was flashing... then I got : "insufficient memory".
                              Memory allocation error
                              cannot load command, system halted

sigh...

Comment

I just used that (F8) as an example without looking at any of the current BIOS's for your board. Use the one you mention, just edit the file name to that,

Sorry to confuse you on this.

Flash from DOS, or are you? I mean DOS by booting directly to dos, not a command window in windows. You are booting to DOS Right?

If you still have issues are you are in DOS, please add a /f to the switch list I gave you and try again

Comment

Working...
                                X