Best stress tester for RAM +CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best stress tester for RAM +CPU?

If this is MS Flight Simulator then when it's used as a benchmark in some reviews, I remember it stressing the CPU more than most benchmarks. Freezes I've had in Vista 64 mainly happened when the board was cold (due to the 100mv offset between cold and hot my board has).

The only thing I could do was to raise the DDR voltage by 0.1volts (100mv) to cure the problem when the board was cold and i launched straight into a game. It just depends where that Ram threshold of working or not is. Now my ram is slightly over "volted" when hot, but within spec when cold.

I found the X3 TC Rolling Demo Benchmark I posted on this thread, would highlight the problem more than anything else when the board was cold. memtest and prime95 would be fine. But loading all the subsytems highlights problems quicker, something Prime95 and similiar weren't designed to do.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Re: Best stress tester for RAM +CPU?

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
      If this is MS Flight Simulator then when it's used as a benchmark in some reviews, I remember it stressing the CPU more than most benchmarks. Freezes I've had in Vista 64 mainly happened when the board was cold (due to the 100mv offset between cold and hot my board has).

The only thing I could do was to raise the DDR voltage by 0.1volts (100mv) to cure the problem when the board was cold and i launched straight into a game. It just depends where that Ram threshold of working or not is. Now my ram is slightly over "volted" when hot, but within spec when cold.

I found the X3 TC Rolling Demo Benchmark I posted on this thread, would highlight the problem more than anything else when the board was cold. memtest and prime95 would be fine. But loading all the subsytems highlights problems quicker, something Prime95 and similiar weren't designed to do.
      Yes this is MS flight sim., but remember FS2004 does not really stress it, its the latest FSX that does. Also, having add-ons like I have, traffic, secenry, add-on planes which have far more detail all add to the workload. That is a good point I never thought about cold play or warrm play might try again from cold and see, if it does might take up your suggestion and increase RAM voltage to 2.2v, hopefully that will not damage my RAM!!!
      Last edited by krishcanag; 01-07-2009, 02:29 AM.
      krishan

EP45-DS4
      E8500
      4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
      Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
      XFX 898MB 260GTX
      Corsair HX620

Comment

Working...
      X