Case Fans, Need Connection Terminals Explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Fans, Need Connection Terminals Explained

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard and currently running a heat sink fan cooler on the CPU terminal and have my two case fans, one on Sys_Fan-1 & the other on the PWR_Fan simply because they match my 3-pin fan connectors.

I am curious about the Power Fan terminal and the voltage pin out differences between Sysfan 1 & 2.

There is no manual or Google-up plain explanation.

I just don't know why I would choose one or the other. When would the Sys_Fan2 come into play.

The fans I have are Yate Loon 120mm medium speed units.

My board pin outs below

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
    Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
    Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
    1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
    Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Re: Case Fans, Need Connection Terminals Explained

Both are PWM type, yet the CPU one allows for Full PWM control or a Full fixed 12vdc on pin 2, allowing standard 3 pin fans to be also connected.

So basically the CPU one will cater for both scenarios.

The second one is a bit odd and the VCC seems to be around 8 volts on my board, but it will vary slightly. I haven't confirmed if it varies with Heat, say from the Northbridge etc.
    So if you connect a 12vdc standard 3 pin fan to it, that has a good lowish start voltage, it'll run at around 2/3 of normal speed.
    The same should be for a PWM fan too, as the Speed pin (4) is at 5 volts, which is the max "pullup" for the speed pin on a PWM fan. So the speed pin should be saying "go flat out", but the Supply volts (VCC) will be making it work like a standard 3 pin fan.

The latter you mention is the standard 3 pin fan, which consists of a Ground Pin, VCC 12volts and a tacho feedback pin (for speed sensing etc)
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

It would all depend really on how you wanted them to run as said above

Comment

Thanks, and sorry for the lag time getting back.

I have several Yate Loon 3-wire medium and low speed fans on my bench and one high speed unit.

I have a HS/Fan on the CPU terminals.

I want no more fan than needed with a possible board controlled speed-up when needed. I just want to try and get away with no more add-ons to get what I want like after market controlers.

I tried Speed fan but it does not want to fully cooperate so I have a problem with trusting it. The Gigabyte software is pathetic also. Clunky and vague.

I would love to try anything you guys come up with. Are there any BIOS versions out there that address the fan thing specifically? I am still running the F4 and am very stable.
        Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
        Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
        16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
        Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
        Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
        1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
        Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
        Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Comment

I have not seen any Fan related talks in any BIOS discussions.

You may want to just give in a buy a nice fan controller? Your mind will thank you, here is what I use but of course you have MANY options that cost more or less >>

Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller Panel - Controller Panels

Comment

Working...
          X