Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta give it ONE more try.......

I don't know...

This will be about my third thread started on this subject. Maybe I wasn't asking the right questions.

Before I start up again let me say a greatful thanks to those who tried to help before.

Been reading everything I can but can't seem to get a grip on the subject of figuring out how my system sets up FSB/DRAM ratios to it's respective strap. I'm just stumped.

Below are the different Memory Multiplier values available for my board. All I did was start on AUTO, pressed the Page Down key to the next value, took a pic, pressed the Page Down key again, took another pic, and so on, and so on.....till I wound back up on AUTO.

Now, I know that 4.0+ means that the memory will run 4x FSB on the 800 strap at a certain speed of the FSB. Same scenario with 4.0~ except it will be on the 1066 strap.

I already know that I CANNOT run my memory and overclock the FSB enough to utilize the respective strap/1:2 ratio: it would be clocked at gazillion Mhz and I wouldn't be able to bootup at all.

The question that I tried to put forth in my previous threads is: what straps are the other Memory Multiplier values(2.0, 2.4, 2.5, 3.0, 3.20, and 3.33) running on???

I am almost postive that 2.0(1:1) is on the 1066 strap. I have clocked my FSB up to 540 Mhz(Real), with memory at 1080 (540 Mhz) and tested it with MemTest STANDARD 6 full passes with no errors. I couldn't imagine it passing if it was running on the 800 strap.

I know that the Memory Multiplier values have their respective FSB/DRAM ratios. I don't know all of them off-hand (4.0x of course is 1:2 and 2.0x is 1:1, I think 2.4x is 5:6).

So, again my question is: what strap are the other values running on: 800 or 1066? To the best of my knowledge those are the only 2 straps that I can use when overclocking (FSB and/or memory???)

Re: Gotta give it ONE more try.......

The question that I tried to put forth in my previous threads is: what straps are the other Memory Multiplier values(2.0, 2.4, 2.5, 3.0, 3.20, and 3.33) running on???
    The Multipliers are used in conjunction with the "CPU Host Frequency".

The CPU Host Frequency is a quarter of the Cpu's FSB (Intel)

So a:

1333Mhz CPU = 333.xx Mhz Cpu host frequency
    1066Mhz CPU = 266.xx Mhz Cpu Host frequency
    800Mhz CPU = 200.00 Mhz Cpu host frequency

Now the "System Memory Multiplier" is multiplied against the CPU Host Frequency to reach the DDR rate (ie the Doubled Sum)

So take 333.33 (333Mhz) x the 2.4 Multiplier = 799.992 (800Mhz) Memory ie PC 6400.

Or take 266.66 (266Mhz) x the 3.0 Multiplier = 799.980 (800Mhz) Memory ie PC 6400.

Or if I had bought 1066Mhz memory and used that with my E8200 (1333Mhz) Cpu, it would be setup as follows:-
    333.33 (333Mhz) x 3.20 Multiplier = 1066.656 (1066Mhz) Memory ie PC8500.

Hope I've explained what you are asking about?
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

The Multipliers are used in conjunction with the "CPU Host Frequency".
      Yep. already with you on that.

The CPU Host Frequency is a quarter of the Cpu's FSB (Intel)
      Yep. With you already here too. My E6700 Conroe's 266 Mhz x 10 = 2.6 Ghz, FSB is 266 Mhz (QDR) = 1066 Mhz.

Now the "System Memory Multiplier" is multiplied against the CPU Host Frequency to reach the DDR rate
      Already there too. System Memory Multiplier a.k.a Divider. I'm running DDR2 1066 memory. Running stock FSB speed 266 Mhz x 4.0 = 1066 Mhz DDR.

Pretty basic so far.

Hope I've explained what you are asking about?
      Um, well...no. Sorry. Already knew everything you've covered so far.

All the memory Divider values have their respective FSB/DRAM ratios. These ratios usually have a predefined strap, in my case 800 Mhz and 1066 Mhz. Straps are, in the simplest terms, predifined latencies within the North Bridge that are used for transfering data at certain speeds via the FSB. The Lower the strap speed the lesser the latency an henceforth faster bandwidth as long the FSB is up at a certain speed. The higher the strap speed the higher the latency for stability though performance will be hindered unless at a certain speed as well. There are many straps in the North Bridge but end users only have access to control only a fraction of them if any at all. Depends on the motherboard. ASUS was the first to discover the potentials of changing the registers for the means of manipulating the latencies (straps) to obtain better performance without sacrificing stability.

So....what I want to know is....hmmm...I don't know how else to ask it.

4.0+ is 4.0x on the 800 strap. 4.0~ is on the 1066 strap. You can see that in the pics I put up (you can see the "+" and "~" symbols on the right and their strap value). What are the other values on strap-wise???

Gigabyte Tech support was no help. On the phone with them earlier today. Must have been trying to explain my question for at least 2 hours. The Tech told me "...we'll have to give all the information to our R&D Department and have them try and figure it out and get back to you later."

Yeah....right.

***sigh***
      Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

All straps are available for you to use, on any Gigabyte board. You just have to have the correct FSB set to choose one.

With all the info you posted, and we have given you, that you seem to have taken in I cannot see how you are confused?

Say you have a 6700 CPU, which you do. Here is how you can/would use each strap. If you wanted to, if not you just choose the same memory multiplier without a Symbol/Letter associated with a strap

Here they are, incase you missed my reply in the other thread >>>

Available Northbridge/MCH Straps & Associated Memory Multipliers

Now, here is some examples of how you could use each of them with a E6700 and then choose any accompanying Memory Strap Symbol. >>>

You can choose to use the straps or not, as you see you have the same multi's with and without the symbols. Please also see this post for P35 strap info >>>

If that does not help you still, I guess we, or you, do not know what you are asking? I say that because relavent ALL info has been given to you many way in several threads so I am lost if you still are? Really!
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-11-2008, 02:04 AM.

Comment

You're so right lsdmeasap...I'm sorry.

You did post the Available Northbridge/MCH straps chart. I skipped right over it. It's so small LOL.

Okay....right on. Starting to make alot more sense to me.

So, just to make sure of the available multis on my system:

2.0x is on the 333=1333FSB strap...??? Which means I have to have my host clocked to 333 Mhz??? Even though my CPU is rated at 1066 and RAM only 1066 Mhz?? Plus also on the 400=1600FSB with host clocked at 400Mhz??

2.4x is also on the 333=1333FSB; but not on the 400=1600FSB???

3.00x is only on the 266=1066FSB with the host clocked at 266Mhz. That would be underclocking my memory at that multi and host clock. Doesn't sound good ; but I could clock the host up to 333Mhz and be on the same strap??? This one's a braintease.

3.20x is only on the 333=1333FSB with the host clocked at 333Mhz???

3.33x is on the 200=800FSB with host clocked at 200Mhz which means I would have to overclock host to 320Mhz to match memory; also on the 400=1600FSB with host clocked to 400Mhz. Memory would be WAY too much overclocked for my memory so I reckon I can't use this one with any benficial results???

I don't have any 4.0x without sysmbols, the are the only values WITH symbols. Only the + and ~ available on my system. This one's kinda tricky: can safely assume that they're on all the straps except the 400=1600Mhz strap??

Okay. Few days ago when I had my system overclocked: host was 540Mhz, multi at 2.0(with the mysterious 1:1 ratio) meaning memory was overclocked to 1080Mhz, CPU = 6x 540Mhz =3.24Ghz. Must have been on the 400=1600 strap then ...right.

Like I said before, this is making alot more sense to me now. However, I know I must be mistaken with some of what wrote.

Comment

2.00x Ram mutli yes, is only available when using 333 or more, or 400 or more FSB.

So then you would be using, or not if you do not choose a multi with a symbol, the associated strap.

What your CPU and ram is rated at has nothing to do with any of this, at all. What YOU set things to does.

And again you Do Not HAVE to use a memory multiplier that is on a strap. 2.00 for example, you may see 2.00x and 2.00 at a given FSB, if you choose the one without a symbol it just means you will use that mutli but not lock the NB to a strap

What FSB Freq's I posted above are just examples. So this thought is wrong >>>
            3.00x is only on the 266=1066FSB with the host clocked at 266Mhz. That would be underclocking my memory at that multi and host clock. Doesn't sound good ; but I could clock the host up to 333Mhz and be on the same strap??? This one's a braintease.
            Anywhere between a strap is also a valid choice. So between 266 and 333 would still let you choose a 266 strap with any FSB up to 332. And furthermore you can use the 3.00 memory multi anytime, just not while you choose a memory multiplier with a strap ~ Symbol on it.

You are trying to compare them to directly I think. And you are confusing yourself with rated stock CPU and ram settings.

Yes, you may only be able to use what you see provided. If you do not like it you will have to raise or lower CPU Multi and raise or lower FSB until you find a setting you like

Yes, 6x 540 FSB was for sure well past the 400 strap, your board just does not show you that as a option as it was made for a lesser FSB By "stock" is all. That being 1333 FSB

The NB chip which controls all of this will do far more then that, and you just are not presented 400 strap options because the BIOS was not made to show you them is all

And yes, the x.xx is only available on the straps shown above. Like you said this >>>
            2.4x is also on the 333=1333FSB; but not on the 400=1600FSB???
            That is true for sure, but you can use 1600 + FSB and still use 2.4 multi, you would just be on the 333 strap or not be on a strap at all

Comment

Thanks a bunch again Lsdmeasap. This opens things up wide for me now. Real big help to say the least.

I kinda goofed up. The (x)'s that I used in my last post were not meant to represent strap symbols in the BIOS. Just "times" the values.

4.0 is the only value that has symbols next to it: either a (+) or a (~)....there are no (#)'s at all when I move the Multi values around on my board. It just makes a reference to it on the right in the Help section. You think it's possible the (#) symbol is just for use with a 1333FSB CPU??? Been thinking about upgrading to a 3.xx+Ghz CPU w/1333FSB.

Comment

if you choose the one without a symbol it just means you will use that mutli but not lock the NB to a strap
                So in other words, all of my other multis are not locked in to their respective straps. Does that mean that a higher strap will might be used with higher host speeds?

Comment

WOW, you sure? J/K Glad you understand it better now

Ya, the # symbol is for 333 or more FSB, not specifically 1333 CPU's. Just raise your FSB over 333 and you should see it

And yes, a CPU upgrade would be nice for your setup. Maybe a Xeon 3075, or a E6750. Or if you wanted, and might as well get yourself a 45nm CPU like a Xeon E3100 or a E8400

Comment

Just raise your FSB over 333 and you should see it
                    Nope. Don't see it at all even when I got it clocked to the MAX LOL.

Comment

Ahh, well then yes you may just have to use a 333 FSB CPU, or make yours into one >>>
                      1333 FSB Mod, Confirmed To Be Working By Me. - XtremeSystems Forums
                      Intel BSEL & VID mod Guide - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Comment

That mod doesn't work on Giga-boards....dog gone it shucks LOL.
                        Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-08-2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Guess I'm gonna have to stick with upgrading the CPU.

I bought a total of 3 OEM Conroe E6700's. One in my present system. The other 2 I used in the 965P DQ6 boards that I was having problems with (memory problems no doubt). The other 2 have hardly been used. Would like to sell all 3 (yes, even the one in my system right now)so I can upgrage to a E8400 or somewhere thereabouts.

I still got one of the 965P DQ6 boards. Gigabyte tested it and it's A Okay. Might as well sell that too.
                          Last edited by DavidDavisLeeSomething; 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Who said that? It is a CPU mod, not a board mod

Comment

You see about half way down the webpage.

The mods won't work on gigabyte motherboards as they use the CPU ID to determine the FSB, not the pins on the CPU.
                              Intel BSEL & VID mod Guide - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Comment

Working...
                              X