• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory recommendations

I'm planning some overclocking on my system

GA-P35C-DS3R
    E6850
    4*1Gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400

I know that that Crucial doesn't work well on GA mobos and I'm going to but Mushkin instead, but should i choose PC 6400 or PC 8500?

I tried some overklocking and managed to reach 3.5Ghz with raising the Vcore to 1.375.
    It was stable in Orthos about an hour and I stopped there, but I got some bsod's and harddrive failure later, but no big problem.

I have some other issues but i hope they got solved when i get the new memorys!?

Comment

Well you may get crucial to work on your board, have you tried it yet? Some do get them to work fine.

Hard drive failure? Do you have your PCI Express Set manually to 100? If not please do so.

Well 6400 or 8500 is up to you, if you want to run high FSB over 450 or so and keep Ram at 1:1, then you may want to get 8500

But both are the same if you buy the good models. They are both actually 6400 chips, just the 8500 is tested to run at higher speeds with looser timings. Both types would do 1066 or so with 555-18 timings

I would say for your CPU 6400 is probably perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Well you may get crucial to work on your board, have you tried it yet? Some do get them to work fine.

Hard drive failure? Do you have your PCI Express Set manually to 100? If not please do so.

Well 6400 or 8500 is up to you, if you want to run high FSB over 450 or so and keep Ram at 1:1, then you may want to get 8500

But both are the same if you buy the good models. They are both actually 6400 chips, just the 8500 is tested to run at higher speeds with looser timings. Both types would do 1066 or so with 555-18 timings

I would say for your CPU 6400 is probably perfect
        I had PCI Express set to 101? I've been told so!?

I'm having some other issues with my Crucial memorys, not stable when running [email protected], no overclocking.

You said earlier that i should buy Mushkin instead... :D

But ok, I'll but the PC4600!

Comment

Comment

Well 1011-110 is acceptable, I just thought maybe you had it on Auto. Which would make it way higher and possibly what caused your disk to mess up is what I was thinking.

Ya, mushkins are better for sure!

Sapphire only for me, but hey I am no gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by quepos747 View Post
              I copy that Rooster. I'm aware of the 32 bit OS memory limitations. BTW, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the new 4650 ATI card for my graphic solution. I like the reviews I've read, the price, as well as the lower power draw and smaller form factor. Now I'm just trying to decide whether to go for a mobo w/2 16x pci-e slots to give me the option to double up and crossfire the pair should I get the gaming bug in the future. Will be making the call on all my components in the next day or so, so I can have everything waiting to me when I return stateside. I'll post my list of components so I can get any heads ups from the excellent and knowledgeable community here. You all have been *most* helpful. Thanks!
              So, here is the planned list of components for this build:

1- Case= Antec Sonata Plus W/included 550W PSU (modular 80+)
              2- mobo= GA-EP45-DS3L
              3--Memory= Mushkin DDR2 800 2GB x 2 (the black ones #996580)
              4- Video Card= Radeon 4670 (either Sapphire if i can find it in stock;
              or Power Color, Asus, or HIS if I can't) Recommendations
              appreciated here! I don't do any gaming.
              5- HDD= Western Dig 640GB SATA 2 16 MB cache
              6- Sound Card=? I'll see what the onboard sounds like first. Recommendations appreciated her too. Preferably other than
              Creative. Music oriented card rather than gaming.
              7- Burner= Probably a pair of Pioneers or Samsungs. I've owned or used
              most of the first tier brands over the last few years, and the
              only lemon was a Plextor xx-708. Supposed to be the
              premium brand.
              8- Oh yeah, CPU= Intel E8500. Probably will switch stock cooling for
              Arctic Cooling Pro.

I think that covers it, eh? Any further advice/recommenations will be appreciated. Thanks to all for the quality input.

Comment

So, here is the planned list of components for this build:

2- mobo= GA-EP45-DS3L
                6- Sound Card=? I'll see what the onboard sounds like first. Recommendations appreciated her too. Preferably other than
                premium brand.
                Arctic Cooling Pro.

I think that covers it, eh? Any further advice/recommenations will be appreciated. Thanks to all for the quality input.

If you dont do any gaming the the GPU sounds fine to me, but if you spend the extra $30 or so and get a 4850 i guarantee you'll get into games just so you're not wasting it lol! For the sound card, the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic is a good choice. And i'd actually recommend Asus DVD Drives... Not only are they cheap, but I've been using them for the last 3 years and never had a problem, although the Pioneers are always a great option

Comment

I'm a big fan of Antec PSUs. case should be solid.

2- mobo= GA-EP45-DS3L
                  Of course, a solid and frequently recommended board.

You know by now that these are fine.

I've had multiple Sapphires and can't complain. Hear good stuff about HIS and the ASUS cards seem to be very popular, but I couldn't say first hand.

Looking at this myself! Supposedly, it is about the fastest mass storage drive out there and the price is right.

Yeah, loved the sound of my last Creative but they are definately for gamers primarily, also hated the invasive driver install. Onboard is decent w/ GA boards, I would almost say hold off for now and see what you think, may save you some cash. I've been trying to convince myself that a $200.00 Azun Prelude is worth it but its not quite time for that yet lol. i hear MA Audio works well.

premium brand.
                  The plextor I had was probably my most finicky drive ever as far as what brands of media it would tolerate. Use Pioneer myself now, and my only gripe is they seem to take longer than average to initially recognize a disc.

Arctic Cooling Pro.
                  Wolfdales rock pretty hard, and Arctic makes really good coolers, especially for the price.

Last edited by Rooster45; 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bongwizard View Post
                    if you dont do any gaming the the gpu sounds fine to me, but if you spend the extra $30 or so and get a 4850 i guarantee you'll get into games just so you're not wasting it lol!
                    truth.

Comment

oh yeah... i almost forgot, is that the Caviar Blue 640GB HDD? (ie this one -> WD Caviar Blue 640 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD6400AAKS )) if it is, ive gotta say, its a nice drive... you'll get an average read speed of about 80-85MB/s with that thing... good choice!

Comment

LSD, Rooster, Bongwizard and the others who have contributed their expertise, time, experience and knowledge to help me get this little project under way, I thank you all very much. And BTW, Bongwizard and Rooster, after a bit of due diligence, that 4850 will give me plenty more use options for just *a few dollars more*. If I run into any "issues"(damn I hate that f ing corporate speak), I will know where to give a shout. You guys all rock majorly. Now to lay some hurt on my plastic.

Comment

lol! "For a few dollars more..." actually not that bad a movie

no problem dude... thats what we're hear to do... hope you dont have a "issues," but if you do, you know where we are

Comment

Thanks for your kind words!

3850 today only $75 >>>
                            Newegg.com -Shell Shocker™

I know, not what you decided, but just giving you some options and saving if you want

Comment

Working...
                            X