X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory recommendations

Originally posted by oldmark View Post
    quepos,

As for a ~$100 card for "light gaming" go for the Nvidia 9600GT which is just a fraction faster than ATI's last generation flagship the 3870.

Happy building.
    oldmark, thanks or your helpful input. The reviews on that Newegg.com - ASUS EN9800GT ULTIMATE/HTDP/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards cited by kpo above mostly include a mention of "make sure it fits. "since I've already ordered the case(see beginning of my thread) at a best-I've-seen price, I will be working w/in those parameters.

Cheers

Comment

Good luck in picking a card! I need to get me a new midrange card, I dont game. But my Sapphire X1950PRO GDDR3 is just getting old I think.

What would be it's counterpart today?

Or would it be just as good to get 2 cheaper DDR2 cards and crossfire them? I am using a 20" Monitor, but again no gaming at all.

I been thinking about crossfire just because I can and it would be nice for looks as well. Anyone know what would be good choices for DDR2 and DDR3 256MB Sapphire full length cards?

Comment

Lsdmeasap,

There is no real counterpart to your old "midrange" X1950PRO today as the 'budget" cards of this year's generation are exponentially faster.

If you want to crossfire two cheap cards (sub $100) for the fun of it go for the brand new Radeon HD 4670.

SAPPHIRE HD 4670 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E

They are not big or impressive but a single card should handle "light gaming" in 1280 x 1024 with no problems. Here is a picture (scroll down) of what a crossfire setup would look like with the 4670.

PC Perspective - AMD Radeon HD 4670 512MB Review - Good gets cheaper

If you want bigger ,meaner, hotter, louder and only slightly faster cards, pay an extra $40 each and get the pervious generation leader the radeon HD 3870 in any flavour you want. There are now many !

SAPPHIRE HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink

The next step up would be the HD4850 but here we are getting closer to $200 and one single card will be powerfull enough for "light gaming" at 1440 x 900. Crossfire at this point becomes problematic. There are better options, unless you want to use your computer as a room heater !! HaHa!

Hope this is helpfull.

more reading if you want it

X-bit labs - PowerColor PCS HD4670 512MB GDDR3 Graphics Card: Light-Weight Champion

AnandTech: AMD Radeon HD 4670: Ruling from Top to Bottom

PC Perspective - AMD Radeon HD 4670 512MB Review - Good gets cheaper
        Last edited by oldmark; 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I do not game but I do use 1680X1050 Resolution. And I would like a Large card

SO I guess I need to spend more then I was thinking. I dont like the dual slot size so much, but the long cards I do. Guess I will have to ebay around a bit, as I would also like to for SURE get cards with Blue PCB

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Thanks, I do not game but I do use 1680X1050 Resolution. And I would like a Large card

SO I guess I need to spend more then I was thinking. I dont like the dual slot size so much, but the long cards I do. Guess I will have to ebay around a bit, as I would also like to for SURE get cards with Blue PCB
            I know for sure Sapphire is making 4850's w/ blue PCBs, and most 4850's that I have seen have been pretty long (my 1GB Sapphire 4850 is long AND blue). I know how you feel in that regard, I always stick with GA mobo's, but I have a huge window on my case so I have to consider how new components are going to look together before I buy. Nvidia cards tend to come w/ a blue pcb more often, but then you can't crossfire. I realize a 4850 may be a little more of a gamer card than you need, but it would still be good to have for HD video playback and other applications @ 1680X1050. They are starting to get pretty cheap too man.

quepos747, most modern video cards (except maybe some of the budget stuff) are at the point where they are averaging quite a bit longer than previous gen stuff. I would not worry too much about it fitting into any decently designed mid-tower or larger case; you should be cool since you aren't using a desktop/ HTPC case. If you really want to make sure you will have enough clearance, make sure that your case dosn't have internal hardware that will overlap the motherboard (I REALLY doubt it, Antec makes decent stuff) like drive mount cages etc. My 1 Gb Sapphire, although long, IS NOT wider than my GA-EP45C-DS3R. If you want to compare our case dimensions, I use a Raidmax Sagitta mid-tower and everything fits fine. Remember that you will want a little clearance at the end of your GPU for the power connector.

Also @ quepos747, I meant to mention earlier (and I don't think anyone else did) that since you are using a 32-bit OS it will only recognize about 3.5GB of memory (and I think that includes your GPU's memory in addition to system RAM). I'm in the same boat, but I havn't even bothered to look at what it can actually see in XP Pro because everything works fine. I know I'll need to get into a 64-bit OS eventually, so I don't mind having the hardware in place ahead of time. You will obviously still have more useable memory than if you went to 2X1 GB, and will be more future ready. I just didn't want you to be disappointed when you got everything up and running if you were not aware of that.
            Last edited by Rooster45; 10-05-2008, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Hmm, I think I will check out that 4850. Ya no nvidia here for sure for me.

Thanks! If you see any great deals let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Hmm, I think I will check out that 4850. Ya no nvidia here for sure for me.

Thanks! If you see any great deals let me know
                Check this thing out.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

$140 if you count the rebate, its blue and looks to be good size. 512 MB should be ok for you since you are going to run 1680X1050, any higher and you may want to consider the 1GB model.

Comment

Hmm, Well 140 is a bit much I think.

Maybe 2 of a 256MB version would be better. Or I may look into 2 of the 3800 series to cut costs

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster45 View Post
                    I know for sure Sapphire is making 4850's w/ blue PCBs, and most 4850's that I have seen have been pretty long (my 1GB Sapphire 4850 is long AND blue). I know how you feel in that regard, I always stick with GA mobo's, but I have a huge window on my case so I have to consider how new components are going to look together before I buy. Nvidia cards tend to come w/ a blue pcb more often, but then you can't crossfire. I realize a 4850 may be a little more of a gamer card than you need, but it would still be good to have for HD video playback and other applications @ 1680X1050. They are starting to get pretty cheap too man.

quepos747, most modern video cards (except maybe some of the budget stuff) are at the point where they are averaging quite a bit longer than previous gen stuff. I would not worry too much about it fitting into any decently designed mid-tower or larger case; you should be cool since you aren't using a desktop/ HTPC case. If you really want to make sure you will have enough clearance, make sure that your case dosn't have internal hardware that will overlap the motherboard (I REALLY doubt it, Antec makes decent stuff) like drive mount cages etc. My 1 Gb Sapphire, although long, IS NOT wider than my GA-EP45C-DS3R. If you want to compare our case dimensions, I use a Raidmax Sagitta mid-tower and everything fits fine. Remember that you will want a little clearance at the end of your GPU for the power connector.

Also @ quepos747, I meant to mention earlier (and I don't think anyone else did) that since you are using a 32-bit OS it will only recognize about 3.5GB of memory (and I think that includes your GPU's memory in addition to system RAM). I'm in the same boat, but I havn't even bothered to look at what it can actually see in XP Pro because everything works fine. I know I'll need to get into a 64-bit OS eventually, so I don't mind having the hardware in place ahead of time. You will obviously still have more useable memory than if you went to 2X1 GB, and will be more future ready. I just didn't want you to be disappointed when you got everything up and running if you were not aware of that.
                    I copy that Rooster. I'm aware of the 32 bit OS memory limitations. BTW, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the new 4650 ATI card for my graphic solution. I like the reviews I've read, the price, as well as the lower power draw and smaller form factor. Now I'm just trying to decide whether to go for a mobo w/2 16x pci-e slots to give me the option to double up and crossfire the pair should I get the gaming bug in the future. Will be making the call on all my components in the next day or so, so I can have everything waiting to me when I return stateside. I'll post my list of components so I can get any heads ups from the excellent and knowledgeable community here. You all have been *most* helpful. Thanks!

Comment

quepos747,

I faced the same problem choosing my mobo. Two 16x pci-e or one. Or to put another way, choose a x48/38 chipset or a p45/35 chipset?

I was frustrated because I have yet to see any real-world benchmarking between 16x and 8x pci-e with the latest generation of graphics cards.

How much difference does that second 16x slot make in crossfire when playing games?????

So I chose the p45 with a HD4850. Best bang for buck.

The rule I always follow when cash is tight is to buy ONLY what you I wil use NOW. This market moves so quickly that any forward buying will be risky.

X48/38 chipsets carry a premium on price compared to P45/35 and that saved cash can go towards a faster single card solution.

Again back to the gap in my knowledge !! I want to see a P45 crossfire set-up against X48 crossfire set-up. Can someone point me to the numbers???

With my E7200 @ 3.0GHz, and a HD4850.
                      I play Crysis and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , @ 1440x900 , high detail. No problem.
                      Other "lesser games" like real-time strategies ect... run very well. GTAIV will run well when it comes out soon. There are a few games leading up to Christmas which look interesting.

Comment

Here ya go man, P45 Vs. X48 crossfire>>>
                        Intel P45 Vs. X48 Crossfire Performance :: TweakTown

Comment

Thanks for the link !!!!

Comment

Anytime, enjoy!

There may be a few more out there, but since this is TweakTown I thought I would link you to our findings

Comment

is there a comparison between using crossfire/sli and having a 2 card setup where one controls 'physx' and the other rendering?

that would be interesting to see

i wasn't aware that all applications can make use of a crossfire/sli arrangment? i was so disapointed when i finally got another voodoo2 and ran them sli and absolutly nothing really changed

Comment

WOW, Not sure! I wouldnt know how to google that one up, I really only know Crossfire terminology.

Here is Crossfire Vs SLI (3850 Vs 8800GTS)
                                HD 3850 Crossfire vs. 8800GTS 512MB G92 :: TweakTown

General, Tons of testing >>>
                                Crossfire Vs SLI - Google Search

Comment

Working...
                                X