Memory recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory recommendations

I'm just beginning my first complete build. I've ordered an Antec Sonata Plus case which includes Antec 550W modular PSU. I plan on using GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L mobo and Intel E8500 CPU. I'm not a gamer and probably will not OC this rig. I'm just tired of my p4 Northwood rig and want to have my mind blown w/an up to date system. Will be running XP Pro SP2. Primary uses will be internet, research, some photoshop, may even get into some light weight gaming. What are some recommended memory solutions (4GB). I could also use some advice for a ~$100 video card. Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by quepos747; 10-02-2008, 12:20 AM.

Re: Memory recommendations

I just did a new build myself, somewhat similar to your own. i started out with 2x1 GB of Crucial Ballistix Tracer in there, only to have lots of failures in Memtest+ at the rated speeds after i got everything set up. After coming here to clear that up I've learned that Corsair, OCZ and Crucial, while normally good memory brands, don't really play nice w/ Gigabyte mobos. The ones I see recommended the most around here are Mushkin, GSkill and Geil. I replaced my Crucials with this 2x2GB kit from GSkill:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

So far, these are rock solid and I would say a pretty fair price. I have a modest overclock going currently that I'm having some issues increasing, so I don't know if the memory is a factor there or not, but they should be fine for you.

For a video card, the most bang for the buck right now for sure is the Radeon HD4850. I've seen them going for under $150.00 if you factor in rebates, but i realize that may be more than you would like to invest. If you want to stay at or below $100, I'm sure you can find an nVidia 9600gt in that range (or a cheaper class of Radeon as well), but those are more of a budget card so won't be the greatest for gaming but would get you by for a bit. Read up a bit on the actual manufacturer of a card before you settle, especially if you are concerned about customer service, because they can vary pretty widely in that regard. I've heard good things about EVGA and had wonderful personal experience with BFG Tech on the nVidia side. I went for a Sapphire made Radeon card though, despite hearing that their customer service is sorta lacking, just because I wanted a 1GB model (there aren't many) and didn't mind the risk myself (works REALLY well so far).

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Rooster45. Those G.SKILL sticks look good to me. The price is pretty righteous as well. I'm currently running their memory in this old P4 rig. I may well go for the extra $50 or so and take your advice on that Radeon 4850 video card as well. In for a penny, in for a pound, eh? Cheers!

Comment

I suggest Mushkins as my top recommendation for Gigabyte boards, XP Black Models are the best and HP Blue models are their mid-range.

If you cannot get Mushkin in your area I would suggest G.Skills after that, models ending in K (Best) or Q (Mid-range)

As for the $100 Card, I dunno myself. Hopefully someone who games here will chime in and help you decide. I personally only use Sapphire cards, but I do not game at all, just web and Photoshop mostly

Comment

Originally posted by quepos747 View Post
          Thanks for the quick reply, Rooster45. Those G.SKILL sticks look good to me. The price is pretty righteous as well. I'm currently running their memory in this old P4 rig. I may well go for the extra $50 or so and take your advice on that Radeon 4850 video card as well. In for a penny, in for a pound, eh? Cheers!
          No problem! I've never had GSkill before just recently, but the thing someone pointed out to me somewhere else about that company is that its rare for a newer brand to come along and start getting a ton of high recommendations all over the place in a brief period, so that says alot about their quality. Look at the Mushkins too, LSD loves them for good reason!

Also, I don't want to make it sound like you won't still be in good shape if you get a cheaper GPU than a 4850, especially if you don't game much right now. It's just that those are the sweet spot for the market right now in terms of price vs. performance, so if you can fit it in the budget you'll have more headroom for your system going forward. I've gotten past the point where I think it's necessary to drop $500.00 on a card because if you go that route you can usually get the same equipment for much less money by the time all the software starts really taking advantage of/ needing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster4145 View Post
            No problem! I've never had GSkill before just recently, but the thing someone pointed out to me somewhere else about that company is that its rare for a newer brand to come along and start getting a ton of high recommendations all over the place in a brief period, so that says alot about their quality. Look at the Mushkins too, LSD loves them for good reason!

Also, I don't want to make it sound like you won't still be in good shape if you get a cheaper GPU than a 4850, especially if you don't game much right now. It's just that those are the sweet spot for the market right now in terms of price vs. performance, so if you can fit it in the budget you'll have more headroom for your system going forward. I've gotten past the point where I think it's necessary to drop $500.00 on a card because if you go that route you can usually get the same equipment for much less money by the time all the software starts really taking advantage of/ needing it.
            I copy that on the Mushkins. LSD seems pretty clear on his advice, and it looks to me like he is the maestro around here. I agree with your thinking on the video card. Today's entry level solution is tomorrow's clearance item. Considering that I do a bit of Photoshop work and plan to mess around with some 3d apps and I'll also be moving to a 22 or 24 inch display(19" 4:3 at present) in a few months, the added video cojones should be a clear plus. Thoughtful advice and much appreciated.

Comment

If you are looking for a graphic card(cheep) please take a look at this site EVGA | Products | B-Stock EVGA b-stock cards that were RMA or returned to store 4 what ever reason.They are refubished and fully tested.I have bought 3 cards and never had a problem.Look at 8800gt/gt sc$120.00(singel slot card if space is a problem) or $8800gts/ko$99.99 -$109.00 any of the 9800gtx i would stay away from the 8800gts 320mb/640mb card they are older chipset(g80)and older card.Those cards will play any new game just fine.
              Last edited by K91NE; 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM.
              sigpic
              CoolerMaster 932haf
              ASUS P6T DELUVE V2
              Inte I7 920-4.0/4.2
              CoolIt DOMINO A.L.C
              CoolIt DualBay Gpu Cooler
              ASUS 4870-815/1050(crossfire)
              OCZ Platinum6GB DDR3-1600
              WesternDigtal VelociRaptor 300gb
              Corsair THX 750watt
              Vista Premium64sp2
              3DMARK06:28,515
              3DMARK VANTAGE 20,006

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                I suggest Mushkins as my top recommendation for Gigabyte boards, XP Black Models are the best and HP Blue models are their mid-range.

If you cannot get Mushkin in your area I would suggest G.Skills after that, models ending in K (Best) or Q (Mid-range)

As for the $100 Card, I dunno myself. Hopefully someone who games here will chime in and help you decide. I personally only use Sapphire cards, but I do not game at all, just web and Photoshop mostly
                Will be following your advice on the Mushkin sticks. I'm considering one of the following:

Are the more expensive black ones worth the extra cost, considering I won't be overclocking the system or be doing any serious gaming?
                Last edited by quepos747; 10-02-2008, 02:19 PM. Reason: incomplete message

Comment

They are the best, the black ones. However if you are not overclocking or gaming and do not plan to overclock later you will be fine for sure with the blue ones

Just so you know, the Mushkin Rebate company takes 12 weeks or 3 months to get your check to you. Just wanted to let you know now so you dont get worried later. It will come, just seems like it takes forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    They are the best, the black ones. However if you are not overclocking or gaming and do not plan to overclock later you will be fine for sure with the blue ones
                    LSD, everyone - Do you know if the Mushkin black ram will work in this mobo in a 2x4 (8GB) configuration?

Comment

They sure will man, and they will work great. 8GB will take you a few to get going though for sure, but I can help no problems

Mushkin is GREAT in Gigabyte boards, and D a m n Fine Quality Ram

Comment

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
                        bang for the buck

Newegg.com - ASUS EN9800GT ULTIMATE/HTDP/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
                        9800GT which is really a 8800GTS with 128SP
                        GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
                        i7-4790K
                        Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
                        Asus GTX 970 Strix
                        Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Ocz Vector 150 240GB Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
                        Fractal Design R4
                        Noctua NH-U14S
                        SeaSonic 660XP2
                        Creative Extreme Music
                        U2412M
                        Windows 10 x64 Pro

Comment

Hey, thanks for pointing out that video card. The reviews posted on Newegg are awesome......97% 5/5 with 31 posted. Do you have any idea whether it will fit easily into the Antec Sonata Plus case I'll be using? Several of the reviews mention that the card is *big*.

Comment

quepos, I don't know if that 9800Gt will fit , most probably, but you should look closer at the ATI 4850. It is the better buy than the 9800GT . In my opinion. It is the same price as the 9800GT, if you look somewhere other than NewEgg !! Keep in mind that the 9800GT is "just" a 8800GT. They are identical ! The ATI 4850 wipes the floor in most games compared to the 8800gt / 9800gt. The only downside to the ATI part is that some models from certain manufacters are hotter and louder than the Nvidia card. Hope my two cents help ! I got one to replace my old Nvidia 7900GS and cannot complain.

Comment

quepos,

As for a ~$100 card for "light gaming" go for the Nvidia 9600GT which is just a fraction faster than ATI's last generation flagship the 3870.

Happy building.

Comment

Working...
                              X