Disk boot failure?? Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disk boot failure?? Please help

I know what you mean, I used to feel that way when I first saw a DFI BIOS. Be lucky you do not have one of those boards

Hmm those look all correct.

So let me get my thoughts correct again. Can you load windows at all now on your new install? If not can you post me the error page images.

If so, but you still see a error each time can you post me the images of those. If there is a black screen error and a Blue screen error please post both.

Did you try the changes I suggested above for your ram?

If you can load windows but just see a black warning screen this is likely easily fixable and just will remain until you fix or choose a different startup choice. Sometimes you need to choose a certain thing for it to go away, other times it can be easily fixed with a chkdsk with certain flags on it. I will post you these fixes if they apply once I can see what screens you are being presented.

Sorry for the long delay in getting you fixed, but I just wanted to be sure things were ok in your BIOS, and of course now need to see additional images to be sure which fix you may or may not need.

Also, in the end it sadly may be a bad disk controller on your board. Can you still get a RMA for the board? If so you may end up having to send it in, if not you may be looking at having to buy a new board.

Hopefully it is easily fixable which I think it may be if it is one of the thing I am thinking of

Comment

Hey im just glad you are helping me at all
      Will take as many pics as you want hehe.

I tryed installing my old harddrive yesterday and it booted perfect, so i guess it is some kind of setting in bios or something.

Here is the pic that i get: Bootimage - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis

But this only comes up when im starting the computer trough the power button, and when it comes up I just press CTRL+ALT+DEL and it boots in to windows. Also if im in windows and just restart the computer it works great, but this is only with my new drive, not the old one.

And the bluescreen that i get is only in windows, not on boot, but that does not occur so often, I read in another forum somwhere that 2 guys had the same problem and they just removed the ide driver from the NVIDIA chipset driver and it worked properly after that, so i tried removing it now and will see if it will work.

And i have not tried the RAM settings yet.

I dont know if i can get a RMA because a dont have the reciept for the motherboard, i traded it for my portable computer, but it is only 6 months old so ill have to go and have a talk with the store that he bought it from.

Comment

No Problem man, Wish I could have better and problem solving answers for you!

OK, well that is not the black screen I was thinking of!

Do you have more then one SATA drive? If not you should set the SATA Setting in Integrated Peripherals Page Called NV-Serial ATA Controller to Enable SATA 1 ONLY and then be sure you disk is plugged into that slot on the board.

Maybe having them both enabled is the issue. You should only see that black screen message if you do not have the System disk set as a bootable device, or if no system is installed. So that is strange, but you already know that.

I see you use IDE drives so not sure if you will survive with the IDE controller missing. But I was thinking you first do not need 2 CD drives as boot devices before you disk.

And you may possibly have better luck by setting both CD/DVD drives as not bootable(Until you need to boot from one, then you would enable it). So your boot order would be of course your SATA drive first. But where you choose first, second, and third only have one >>>

First Boot device >>> The SATA OS hard drive
        Second Boot Device >>> NONE
        Third Boot Device >>> None

HMMM about a RMA maybe your friend would go thru getting it set up for you since he bought it. That may be why he agreed to trade you, he knew the board was messed up!

Comment

Hi!

I tried enabling Sata 1 only but that didnt work, also disabled both cdroms from boot but the funny thing is that it still booted from cdroms :S

But how come it works fine with my old Hitachi drive but not with the new seagate, thats why i still think there must be some kind off setting.

Read in the manual that you could install Sata drivers while installing OS, by pressing F6 in the begging, im sure u know what im thinking of. Could this be the problem.
          But this has to be done trough floppy and i dont have that on this computer :(

About the RMA he is not a friend, he just answerd my advertisement and wanted to trade...

Comment

BTW i just tried puting my old Hitachi drive on Sata 1 and the new Seagate on Sata 2 connector on motherboard, and it booted good on the hitachi drive still, as long as the hitachi drive is on Sata 112 it works good :S
            Really dont get it.

Comment

Ya if you are using XP a F6 Driver should be installed during OS install. Not sure how you are using the system without it.

You can get a brand new floppy for $7-10 or a used one on ebay for $5 or so. Maybe you should get one and do a Clean proper install

Heck, maybe you can find one in your attic or basement in a OLD PC? Or Borrow one from someone. Best to buy one though, makes BIOS flashing safe and easy

You likely have the correct drivers installed on the Hitachi just not on your new disk since you installed windows without them

Comment

I wont have time to buy one today so ill go to the store tomorrow, have to go to work soon...

Comment

None in you basement?

Comment

No :( Didnt have any on my old computer either.
                    BTW is this the driver: GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 1.1)

The one in the bottom, SATA RAID

Comment

Ya, the ones at the bottom that say F6 choose your system. Be sure at the top to choose your board rev. number first then download the driver for your system.

That is worded funny, but who knows with translations. Im grabbing your manual now as it seems like you should have Seperate SATA and SATA RAID Drivers there, unless it is a All in One type of thing which it could be.

Just makes me wonder as to how you installed and are using XP on it now without a driver. Did you install from a backup or a mirror image, or use a normal install disk that you bought? Or if a disk, was it one you did not buy, but downloaded? I aks that because if you downloaded it, then it may have already had SATA drivers slipstreamed into it is why you did not need it before

Comment

Yeah, you need it. It is on page 74 of your manual. The driver Although it may be a old one is also on your Motherboard CD, which page 74 shows you how to put on a floppy with the CD >>>

Even if you do not have the CD or the Manual, please grab that PDF so you will know what you are looking for as far as choosing the RAID or NON RAID Storage driver when Windows asks you which at F6 point of install

Comment

I downloaded that file yesterday, and thats how I came up with that this may be the solution :)

Comment

Ok Cool, Just wanted you to be familiar with the driver names as they will be shown when choosing them at the F6 point of install.

I dont know how you installed without them before, and since you didnt answer I guess I will have to assume a downloaded copy of XP

Well good luck, I am outta here for the night.

See you tomorrow

Comment

Hi again. Borrowed a floppy from a friend and installed the drivers with boot floppy and all but still the same :S

Haha yes its a downloaded copy of xp :)

Comment

Well all I can think of is maybe your should try downloading a different XP then, could be something missing you need. As they do remove things in the custom XP's

Comment

Working...
                                X