Disk boot failure?? Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk boot failure?? Please help

I just traded my portable computer to a stationary one, everything worked fine, and about 1-2 times it freezed on me, and sometimes it also when starting up the computer it said DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER, and every time i did CRTL+ALT+DEL it worked great, so i assumed there was something wrong with the harddrive, bought a new Seagate Barracuda 500 gb, installed everything and still same thing, so everytime i start up computer it just says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER and when doing CRTL+ALT-DEL it starts fine, or if i do a restart i also starts up fine, but when being totally turn down(powerless) i get thiss error.

And sometimes i also get a bluescreen, here is the bluescreen, its in swedish but the errorcodes are the important thing.

Bluescreen: Bluescreen - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis

I've also tried memtest and no error came up, tried changing the SATA cable to the harddrive just in case aslo

Computerinfo:

CPU: 2xAMD Athlon x64
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
    Ram: 2x1024
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb S-ATA
    D-Link W-Lan card
    Graphicscard: Ati Radeon HD 2400

I'd really appreciate all the help i can get

Re: Disk boot failure?? Please help

Is this XP? I will assume so, have you updated to Sp2 or Sp3? Just wondering, it does not matter so much.

This 0000007A error is a disk error, but seeing as you bought a new Hard drive I doubt it is actually your disk. Maybe you cable, or you have slave/master set wrong

Here is some info about this error and fixes >>>
    Common Causes of STOP Messages 0x00000077 and 0x0000007A

Microsoft Corporation

Did you do a clean install onto the new drive, and then it still happened right away? If so can you try using a different SATA cable after doing a chkdsk /r as shown on the second link I gave above

When you say memtest, do you mean widows memtest or memtest86+ that you run in DOS?

Comment

Just my 2 cents and prolly has nothing to do with your issue: The most common reason for "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" at startup that I've seen is if there is a non bootable floppy disk in a floppy drive drive. Do you have a floppy drive and what is the boot order in bios?
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Is this XP? I will assume so, have you updated to Sp2 or Sp3? Just wondering, it does not matter so much.

This 0000007A error is a disk error, but seeing as you bought a new Hard drive I doubt it is actually your disk. Maybe you cable, or you have slave/master set wrong

Here is some info about this error and fixes >>>
        Common Causes of STOP Messages 0x00000077 and 0x0000007A

Microsoft Corporation

Did you do a clean install onto the new drive, and then it still happened right away? If so can you try using a different SATA cable after doing a chkdsk /r as shown on the second link I gave above

When you say memtest, do you mean widows memtest or memtest86+ that you run in DOS?
        I installed XP with SP2, tried a new SATA cable, and just in case i also tried a new power cable to the disc. And there are now setting in the back of the harddrive to set as master or slave :S

I did a clean install and i've checked it with checkdisk and also seagates own disctool, all passed except SMART, but i think this has to be enabled first in BIOS to work.

I ran memtest that i downloaded from the memtest site, it was in windows i did this becasue i dont have a floppydrive on my computer.

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
        Just my 2 cents and prolly has nothing to do with your issue: The most common reason for "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" at startup that I've seen is if there is a non bootable floppy disk in a floppy drive drive. Do you have a floppy drive and what is the boot order in bios?
        I dont have a floppydrive at all. the boot order is:

CDROM
        HARDDRIVE

Also tried removing cdrom from bootorder but still the same...

Comment

SATA does not have Master or Slave, if you ever do get a SATA disk with A jumper remove it. They are to limit drive speed to 1.5/GBs or SATA I

Sorry about that, I had already written that before I looked again and saw you said SATA. So sorry for that confusion

Memtest and Memtest86+ are different, which I think you know. You can run Memtest86+ (Which is the suggested one) from a CD. It is a ISO file you burn. If you need to know how to do that let me know. Here is the memtest86+ site, you want the second link, Which is a Zipped ISO file. >>>
          Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You will extract it once then it will be a ISO file to be burned as a IMAGE if you have Nero. If not let me know if you are not sure how to burn a ISO and I will post you some links. It is NOT the same as music, data. ect burning and you will not just add it to a disk and burn. (Just saying that so you dont go wasting a CD)

Have you installed your Chipset drivers?

I am not sure what things are called in the AMD BIOS's but can you post a image of your Memory setting page. I think you could also possibly have tRD set to low

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            SATA does not have Master or Slave, if you ever do get a SATA disk with A jumper remove it. They are to limit drive speed to 1.5/GBs or SATA I

Sorry about that, I had already written that before I looked again and saw you said SATA. So sorry for that confusion

Memtest and Memtest86+ are different, which I think you know. You can run Memtest86+ (Which is the suggested one) from a CD. It is a ISO file you burn. If you need to know how to do that let me know. Here is the memtest86+ site, you want the second link, Which is a Zipped ISO file. >>>
            Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You will extract it once then it will be a ISO file to be burned as a IMAGE if you have Nero. If not let me know if you are not sure how to burn a ISO and I will post you some links. It is NOT the same as music, data. ect burning and you will not just add it to a disk and burn. (Just saying that so you dont go wasting a CD)

Have you installed your Chipset drivers?

I am not sure what things are called in the AMD BIOS's but can you post a image of your Memory setting page. I think you could also possibly have tRD set to low
            Hi, i removed the pin just yesterday but its still the same.

Ok no problems, i know how to burn iso, will do now and see what results i get.

Yes i have installed chipsetdrivers. I will try to find the memory settings page and post here.

Comment

Here are the settings that i found in bios, if this is not it then tell me what other settings there are and ill try to find it.

Bios Pic02 - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis

Bios Pic01 - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis

Also did memtest+ and it passed.

Comment

Ok, that last page MIT

That is the one I would like to see all of. But please first on the MAIN page of the BIOS hit Control + F1 and the screen will flash, then go into the MIT section and you will see all settings. Please post me some images of the settings in use

And since you just now removed your SATA jumper you may always have this issue... Until you do another clean install.

But lets see the BIOS settings I asked about first

Comment

Hope this was the one you where looking for...

MIT - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis

Will also try a clean install right now just in case.

Comment

Yes, that is the page I want to see. But I need you to do the above hotkey (Control + F1) so I can see the hidden settings and memory timings.... Unless they are on a different page?

Comment

Oh then this must be it, it was on another page...

Dram config - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis

Comment

OK first It looks like you are not running your ran in dual channel, are you sure if you think you are? I say that because it looks like you are using 1+2 and it is usuall 1+3 or 2+4 slots. If they are the same color slots then dont mind me!

Set trfc to 127ns

and try 26 for Row Cycle Time tRC

Although really they do look ok as they are, so I doubt this will solve this issu at all.... Sadly

What do you have your disk settings set to in the BIOS? Image if you can of that please

Do you have a GOOD PSU?

Comment

The ram's are 2 yellow and 2 red slots.

I will try to apply the settings.

What disk settings do you want me to take a picture off?

Not really good at BIOS :)

Comment

I would like to see the page where you would choose disk controls such as RAID or AHCI settings

Comment

Hope these are the right pics, BIOS is like chinese to me

Bios 01 - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis
                              Bios 02 - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis
                              Bios 03 - Bildbox.se Ladda upp bild gratis

Comment

Working...
                              X