Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: problem with memory voltage on EP45-DS3R

LMAO - looks like LSD and I are were replying together there :/
    LSD, WTF did you get that trippy avatar?
    Last edited by he1ium; 09-04-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

It is a special image of the Mad Hatter

Comment

Can I update the Bios from F7 to F10 directly? or should I update to F8/F9 first?
        (I think I've read somewhere that it may cause problems 'jumping' Bios versions)

(btw, I think Gigabyte just released yet another beta bios for F10... I think I'll better wait for official F10.)

Thanks.
        Last edited by amirn; 09-04-2008, 05:39 AM.

Comment

No need to install in order. You can jump from .Fxx to .F50 if you like just be sure to load optimized defaults after the flash and save apply/reboot back into BIOS and make and disk changes you need before ever loading windows again

Comment

Somebody has the pre-flash jitters. It's OK, we've all been there. At least you have dual-BIOS, so I wouldn't sweat it. I remember the days doing this via floppy and prayin the whole time the floppy wasn't corrupt.

Comment

Yeah, it is really nice nowadays!

Qflash even has the checksum provided to you before you hit the Final OK, so you can verify the checksum before the flash

Comment

Hi again,
                I've finally updated the BIOS to the latest one - F10.
                loaded optimized defaults and set everything exactly as you said in your last post.
                booted... and it posted just fine!
                Loaded Vista, and saw in Everest that the DRAM voltage is now 2.08V (was 1.88V before)
                [wasn't too clear on the CPU-Z readings, the memory tab has the 4-4-4-12 setting, but the SPD tab had both 5-5-5-15 at 400MHZ 1.8V and 4-4-4-12 at 400MHZ 2.1V]

anyway, I think I finally got the RAM to work as it should.
                Thanks to your help!

but, I can't leave without another question...
                I'm planning on a small OC. I want the CPU (e8400 3MHZ) to run at 3600MHZ 400fsb so I have 1:1 ratio with the 800MHZ DDR2 RAM.
                Since I followed your recommedned settings "blindly", I'm not sure what should I change (if any) to get to that OC.
                your help will be appreciated.

Comment

Well the memory Tab is the actual speed and timings you are using, the SPD tab just shows what is programmed into the SPD/EPP chip on the sticks

2.08 is good for 2.1, you may even be able to lower it in the BIOS to 2.0-2.5 depending on your speed and timings.

Use 402 or so not 400 exactly. Just set FSB and all highest ram settings, then you can lower them later. You may or may not have to add vcore for 3.6, but if you fail many times to boot thru just start adding vcore. Shouldn't need to much for 3.6

Use MCH latch 400 and Static Tread of 8 or so

Comment

as for the RAM, should I try setting it to 2.0V? (generally, should I opt for the lowest voltage that still gives me the 4-4-4-12 timing? what's the difference between having it on 2.1 and 2.0)?

as for the OC: my static TRead is currently on 8, so all I need to change is:
                    - MCH Latch to 400 (currently 333) - does it have to be same as FSB?
                    - FSB to 402 (why is 402 better than exactly 400?)
                    - minor change to Vcore voltage if needed
                    (not sure I understood the "set all highest ram settings, then you can lower them later")

Thank you.

Comment

Well, if it is stable fully on 2.0 then you will be fine. The only difference is, if it is stable it is better for the ram. Keep in mind if you do push it any further you may have to raise it back up

No, MCH can be anything when tweaked Right. but for ease of use you want to have your FSB over 400 if you use the 400 Latch

400 is right on the strap divider and can cause issues, you can use 398 if you like

Set all to highest means just that. Where I suggested a range, like 52-62, set to the highest I suggested. Then once you get into windows and get things going, you can later go lower them one by one for performance. I give ranges because MANY times boards will need the highest of a range, or higher to boot. Then once you boot you can start lowering back to normal/better settings

Comment

okay, I think I got it now.
                        I'll go for 2.0V for the RAM (since I'm not planning on having it on more than 800MHZ for now), 400 for MCH and 402 (or 398) for FSB.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Sounds good, good luck with your testing

Comment

Working...
                          X