problem with memory voltage on EP45-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: problem with memory voltage on EP45-DS3R

LSD, What do you know about Super Talent? Once I got thru to tech support, the guy actually worked with me real-time via IM, which I though was pretty impressive. (Especially in light of Giga's cryptic and evasive responses once every 24 hours...). Have you used Super Talent memory or heard good/bad things via the grapevine? All the stuff I've read is positive, though my thought is they are too small to get much going with the major mobo vendors (hence, don't get properly tested and certified).
    {Sorry Amirn, don't mean to jump your thread - hopefully this is a relevant question to all looking to find a good memory supplier.}
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Not much really, I think they are a sub-par brand though. Meaning that I have not heard many overclockers use them, not that they are junk or anything.

Sounds like a decent company from what you said. But I just think they do not use the latest/fastest/best bandwidth chips is all.

So did they guy help you get anywhere with your ram?

Comment

Since there is nothing wrong with my RAM, there isn't much he could do. I could put 10 brands of RAM in this machine and see the exact same problem. He did confirm the baseline timings and voltage for the memory.
        My indications are that this is good OC memory, using quality chips. As you know, I haven't pushed my memory, and given the memory problems with the P45 board, I have been hesitant to do so.
        Check out these reviews:
        Reviews | Super Talent Project X DDR3-1800 2x1GB (Page 1 of 9) | APH Networks
        Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Super Talent PC2-8000 DDR2 2GB Kit :: Introduction & Specs
        Super Talent T1000UX2G4 PC2-8000 Memory Review - PCSTATS.com
        Just three random articles, but they seem to indicate this memory can hold its own with the big brands.
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
        Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Ahh, I guess they have been making better quality then. I had not heard much for a while myself.

Comment

just a small correction, it does run fine in dual channel but only at 5-5-5-15 and not in 4-4-4-12 as it should
            Last edited by amirn; 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Then Still, IMO the ram is not running to the rated specs and should be returned

Comment

Looks like it was the BIOS. I had the same problem with this MB and GSkill memory. My CPU and MEM were freshly pulled from an ASUS P5K-E running a Q6600 @ 3.6, 1:1 at a 400MHz FSB with timings at 4-4-4-12. Gigabyte posted a Beta BIOS F10e on 8/26 GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS Download. With that, everything works fine now. Hope this helps you guys and hopefully their next NON-Beta release will work just as well.

Comment

Thanks for the BIOS update post. I would still think his ram is DOA, but he should for sure try that BIOS

Comment

My problem was so bad that even bumping up the FSB would give me a no boot. I was just about ready to throw in the towel when I tried the Beta bios which had this description - Improve memory performance. His description was identical to mine (prob how I found this forum, lol) and I am willing to bet the RAM is just fine. Did he ever test in another system? If I hadn't just pulled this from a working Asus P5K-E, I would probably be pulling my hair out too =)

Comment

I do not know if he ever did or not, he seemed upset sometimes of the things I asked him to try so I am not sure

I know he was likely more feedup then mad or not wanting to try things I suggested. Hope he got somewhere.

The Auto Notify Feature is broke here for new posts in subscribed threads... So if you want go to his profile and see if he left Email public or send-able thru the site anyway and send him a email about it. Not a PM

Comment

he1ium, thanks for your info!
                        what exact GSkill RAM do you have? are you running it in DC?
                        I'll test the BIOS soon.
                        btw, what's the safest way to update the bios (no floppy..) and how long does it take to execute?

Lsdmeasap, the only reason I'm upset with you is for keep saying that I'm upset with you... I've tried 90% of the stuff you suggested. I didn't try a different machine as I didn't have one handy at the time.

Thanks for the help.

btw, why do you think the RAM is DOA even if a BIOS update may fix it?

Comment

Ahh, Well yes please try that BIOS update.... Then go thru all the settings I tried to suggest for you again

Here is a full list of settings for you to try at stock >>>>

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                          Robust Graphics Booster ...............: AUTO
                          CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
                          Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                          CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.00GHZ (9x333)

Clock Chip Control
                          Standard Clock Control
                          CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                          CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
                          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                          CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                          PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                          CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< Leave
                          MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< Leave

DRAM Performance Control
                          Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                          (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [333] <<< Be sure to set
                          System Memory Multiplier ..............: [2.40] = 799MHz ram
                          Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 799MHz
                          DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                          CAS Latency Time........................4
                          tRCD ......................................... 4
                          tRP'...........................................4
                          tRAS..........................................12

Advanced Timing Control
                          tRRD........................................... 3-4 ----Set to for4 now
                          tWTR..........................................4-6 (9-11) set to for 4 now
                          tWR............................................ 3-6 -- Set 6 for now
                          tRFC........................................... (48-50) 52-62 --- Set 60 for now
                          tRTP........................................... (3-6) Set 5 for now
                          Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Channel A
                          Static tRead Value.........................:7-10 (Set 8 for now)
                          tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                          tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                          tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
                          Static tRead Value.........................:7-10 (Set 8 for now)
                          tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                          tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                          tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                          Voltage Type.………... Manual
                          CPU
                          CPU Vcore….……….........................: << AUTO or what you are using now
                          CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
                          CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
                          CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< Leave
                          CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< Leave

MCH/ICH
                          MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.3
                          MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                          MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                          ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
                          ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
                          DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1V
                          DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                          Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                          Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
                          Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                          No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                          C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                          x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                          CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                          Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS to update with. Use Qflash with a USB stick since you do not have a Floppy. Or make a 1GB Partition FAT32 on your hard drive

It only takes a minute to flash your BIOS. Here is some more info about Qflash, Also in your manual you will find some if you have it >>>

Flashing, here is some info on using Qflash. You can use 3 things with Qflash.... USB Stick, Floppy, or FAT32 Partition on your disk >>>

What you should do is manually download the correct BIOS for your board model and board revision from Gigaabyte Site Below. Extract the BIOS file you need, the .F# << # Being BIOS number like .F11. Be sure to choose the correct Rev. It is printed on the board in the bottom corner under the PCI Slots. GA site, YOU can ignore the Rev comments, your board has only one Rev>>>
                          GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

The BIOS file you download is a EXE which is made just to extract to the Floppy drive or A: drive.

You can get the BIOS .Fxx (xx Being BIOS number and how the actual BIOS file extension will look) File out of this to flash with Qflash or DOS (DOS Flash files are also inside the Exe. by using winrar to extract the files.

Download Winrar Trial here (Scroll down to Winrar 3.71 and download) and then install and right click the BIOS exe file and choose extract here >>>
                          WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Then you can either run any CD you have to get DOS loaded and use the files extracted. Or you can put them on a FAT32 USB drive and use Qflash. You may also make a new 1GB FAT32 partition on your disk if you like and keep BIOS files there as well.

To use USB you need Legacy Storage Detect Enabled in the Integrated Peripherals Page of the BIOS. You also need to leave the USB drive plugged in when you reboot to Qflash (Select "END" at bootup, or F8 Within the BIOS to enter Qflash)

Once inside Qflash you will be presented with Disks or Drives depending on what you have available, look thru each until you find your BIOS file and then flash it

Once you have flashed and rebooted back into the BIOS choose Load Optimized defaults and save and apply and reboot Back into the BIOS before you go into windows. You will need to set your hard drive settings again, especially do not try to load Windows if you are using a RAID setup without setting these settings again (Just have to say incase anyone is reading this for any board and is using RAID)

PLEASE DO NOT USE @BIOS!! << ANYONE READING THIS

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I'll be using QFlash with a USB stick.

just one more question, in case anything goes wrong, my board supports DualBios, so am I safe if an error occurs while updating? Do I have to do anything to activate dualbios in order to restore faulty update?

Comment

No, nothing you do with Dual BIOS. And yes it works, but as with anything it can fail.

You will be pretty safe though using Qflash, most issues are caused by @BIOS.

Comment

1. Dual BIOS - live it, love it, no worries. (it runs by default)
                                2. Instead of winrar trail edition, try 7-Zip. It's open-source and works great.
                                3. LSD is right, use QFlash with a USB stick. It will probably see is as HDD0 or something like that.
                                4. Memory I have - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
                                link - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
                                5. Damn that memory got cheap. It is rated at DDR2 1000 @ 5-5-5-15 but the pair I have runs great at DDR2 800 @ 4-4-4-12. Like I said, I just did a motherboard swap from a P5K-E that wouldn't let me run 2 vid cards and had problems with my 8800GTS (G92) w/ PCI-e 2.0. This is how I knew how much punishment my components could take. Amazingly enough, my Q6600 runs the same speed at lower temps, higher VCore and is more stable on this Gigabyte MB. (After the BETA bios that is, lol)
                                6. Let me know how it goes

PS - Props to LSD for the excellent info and advice

Comment

Working...
                                X