Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Okay, well, I was not able to get 4.6ghz to load windows. Boot, yes, load windows no.

4.5ghz can boot and load windows, seems stable.

I've made another imgur album with the current settings.
    4.5ghz - Album on Imgur

LMK if you're missing anything specific?

Am i correct in having the Flex Ratio and UnCore Ratio to 45? (or whatever the OC is, 44, 47, 48 etc.)?

Another thing im not sure about is RAM voltage. On the Advanced Memory Timings slide, it shows 1.35v, which is per the G.Skill spec (xmp timings are correct too, btw).
    On the DRAM Voltage slide however it shows 1.2v for Channel A/B. Is that the memory controller that's 1.2v then?

Surely I should be able to get 4.6ghz out of this ... :o

Now that it's 4.5ghz, what do you recommend for stability testing?

EDIT: the above resulted in a BSOD when running an .exe download.

I went to a 44 multi, put uncore and flex ratio to auto, and left the voltage at 1.385
    Last edited by Momo; 10-24-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Hi again, i tested out load-line calibration. AUTO and NORMAL result in pretty much the same thing, NORMAL being slightly better. HIGH however is much much better. Voltag stays a LOT closer to the requested amount.
      I can only assume this will help stability. However, in a few reviews i've read, hardocp being one, they noted that this had no effect on OC-ability... i think that was at x47 they were trying to hit though.

Comment

turn off turbo boost technology

enable cpu flex ratio override and set multiplier to same as cpu and uncore.

turn off c3 state support

turn off c6/c7 state support

turn off c8 state support

turn off CPU thermal monitor

Change Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) to "Disabled"

Manually set System Memory Multiplier to 32 rather than auto.

Change Memory Timing Mode to manual

then make sure you manually set the voltage to 1.35 if it isn't already

The change Memory Multiplier Tweaker to 2 (this setting is a big factor in how the memory controller does memory training)

Manually change both Interleaving options to enabled.

Leave all your load-line calibration settings to auto.

For memory timings manually change Channel A (channel B will obviously automatically be changed for you) to CAS 16, tRCD 16, tRP 16 and tRAS to 36. Scroll down a little and change command rate to 1.

If you aren't using the Intel on chip GPU then for sure disable that instead of leaving it auto or it will just generate heat and use power for no reason.

And now that I can see your CPU vcore settings I can tell you right now that if you want any hope of overclocking anything - especially with a memory multiplier of 32 you will need to change you CPU
        VCCIO voltage and CPU System Agent Voltage. The tighter you make your timings the more voltage you will need to give them but since you aren't going for super tight timings (16-16-16-36) I'd say start
        off with 1.16v for each (manually set them). You can go all the way up to 1.25v for VCCIO and 1.30v for System Agent voltage if you are on air but don't just start off with that if you don't need it.

Do yourself a favor and change CPU vcore to "normal" (you can have auto, normal or manually set the voltage like you have done) and then change the Dynamic Vcore to -0.065v. If you are stable at that you can lower and if you aren't stable
        you should increase it (ie. if you are stable try -0.070v and if you aren't stable try -0.060v).

For DRAM voltage change to 1.350v manually. You can also put the DRAM training voltage at 1.350v, too since that should help with getting past BIOS post in the event that for some reason it is setting voltage at 1.2v.

DDRVPP Voltage is used to help with stability and should never need to be adjusted unless you are doing something extreme.

If you follow what I've suggested that should get you to 44 stable no problem but I'm certain it will get you to 45 stable no problem. Thinking that a multiplier of 46 should be no problem is incorrect. 45 is already a 15% jump in performance.

Remember, most reviews are not done with chips that you and I get to purchase but usually selected by Intel when they send them out. I'm 45 and I can get to 46 but the amount of voltage to get there doesn't seem worth it, especially when I've got my
        memory timings at 12-16-16-28 at DDR4-3000 and probably already outperform most who are pumping volts to get their CPU to 4600 mhz.

Anyways, hope this helps.
        Last edited by tt0ne; 10-28-2015, 11:48 PM. Reason: correct cpu flex ratio setting / offset voltage

Comment

wow, pretty in depth reply! i appreciate it.

It seems that I can run a 44 multi no problem at all, with turbo boost etc. ON, so it clocks down to 4.0ghz when all four cores are loaded, 4.4ghz on one when in normal use.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but what you've posted would be disable all the CPU shenanigans, and running all four cores at the same multi, all the time?

Comment

by the way I just re-read my post and realize I made a mistake. I said:

"turn off CPU flex ratio override" but it should be on and set at the same value as your cpu multiplier if you turn turbo boost off (which I suggested).

In answer to your question, yes, pretty much except for speedstep which will honor your Windows power settings for CPU speed and C1 halt which will also reduce CPU speed when idle. You will also experience better memory latency with a Command Rate of 1. Actually, there are a bunch of improvements with those settings if comparing to your original settings.

Comment

Heya, i printed out your sugggestions and went to give it a shot.
              Ran into a stumbling block at DRAM voltage on the Advanced Memory Voltage tab.
              For both DRAM voltage and DRAM training voltage I cannot select 1.350. Only 1.340 or 1.360.
              Something seems strange here. This is my RAM: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-16grk

so.. i backed out, and didnt save any changes.

Also, what about load line calibration? it seems that without it on HIGH there is a lot of VDROP/VDROOP. On high, it seems to remain a lot more constant.

Cheers,
              Andrew

Comment

If you can't pick 1.350 then that probably means the bios is picking up your XMP profile settings and applying the correct voltage for your memory already. So don't worry about that setting since it probably doesn't apply to you now.

As for vdroop I will post a link to an Anantech article going back to the Intel QX9650 (Ivy Bridge) that talks about why vdroop is part of Intel's power specification and is important now especially with fabrication size so small!

Intel Processor Power Delivery Guidelines - Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

That article is talking about Intel Yorkfield which was 45nm. Imagine how much more it applies to our Skylakes which are 14nm? The bottom line is, the majority of people who are overclocking without using offset mode are simply doing it the least optimized way there is. Maxing out LLC, pumping up the voltage and effectively eliminating vdroop just generates massive amounts of heat and doesn't get you the maximum overclock like the time consuming task of doing it via offset mode. Sure, if you're using subzero coolers, etc. - that's different - but most of us are using water or air.

That's my opinion and I know a lot of people would disagree but based on my experience from having a 45nm and 22nm and now a 14nm - the article puts words to my personal experience. Or so it seems to me.

Comment

OK cool, i'll give it a shot. just to be clear, you're saying just use the XMP entirely? or leave the RAM in auto voltage?

Comment

two things:

#1. Dynamic Vcore starts at -.005, and goes up to -0.300 i think it was. There is no -0.65 mode ;) ... i went with -0.065.

#2. i'm in windows now, running Prime95 running a blend torture test, core temp isnt exceeding 56 celcius. but... only at 4.0ghz. Stopped the test and it's staying at 4.0ghz (according to cpu-z).

Something isn't right, that's for sure.

... Also, typing input in chrome while on this forum is terrible. The ads, like in the post above this one and at the bottom of the page, seem to destroy it's performance. It's like the page is always refreshing, non-stop. WTF? ... this isn't really new, though i don't seem to remember text input being this latencied before the new bios settings.

EDIT: oh bah, nevermind. Stupid gigabyte board didnt actually use the saved profile i thought i'd saved. It actually failed to post apparently, and reverted to bios defaults, then booted windows without telling me it loaded the defaults.
                    I went and tried your settings, and the bios couldnt post or recover. I had to manually clear the CMOS.

something in the suggestions you made = no POST. Not enough voltage i suppose?
                    Last edited by Momo; 10-28-2015, 10:12 PM. Reason: doh

Comment

with all due respect, the amount of trouble this motherboard and processor are to overclock isn't worth the gain for myself. It's also a waste of your time, gracious though you may be in offering it.

I'm going to revert to the vanilla 4.2 / 4.0 under extreme load, and if I ever feel i'm CPU bound i'll look into overclocking again.

One last thing: when you make changes to your bios, then exit without saving, to you get a "failed to load B1x0123456789" error? not sure what the numbers are, but it appears to be a BIOS error only in that situation.

Comment

ya, it can be a pretty time consuming process so I totally understand and you are right about 0.65 - I'll fix that now.

Comment

sos sos sos

Hi guys I am new around here and saw that you have great support for the boards, and I wanted to ask some questions as I am having some issues with this board. My specs are: mobo: ga-h55n-usb3 processor: Intel i5 540 rams: 4GB, (2x2GB KINGSTON kvr1333d3n9/2g) trying to add memory 8gb, ( 2x4gb KINGSTON KVR13N9S8/4) fail SOS SOS SOS not how to program the nominal bios memory timings, Ram Multiplier ( I am apprentice) CPU goes into constant reboot, I can only access the BIOS to the operating system will not sorry for my English, I'm Spanish and I use google translator thanks for the help

Read more: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-ram-2x4g.html

Comment

• SSD compatibility

I would like to buy one of the new boards, (GA-H170-Gaming 3).
                            On all these new boards compatibility lists it shows no Samsung SSD drive over 256 gigs are supported.
                            I would like to build a simple system with a 500 gigs to 1 terabyte Samsung SSD.
                            It would be the boot drive (and only drive in the system).
                            Is this doable?
                            GA-H170-Gaming 3

GA-H170-Gaming 3

Comment

Anyone else having keyboard/mouse initialization issues when posting?

Even with fast boot disabled, my keyboard doesnt turn on till after the POST screen passes.

Z170 gaming 7 here, running F7G bios.

Had to install the gigabyte fast boot utility just to get into the BIOS using the 'boot to bios now button' in the app.
                              Once i'm in there, after the reboot, mouse and keyboard are getting NO power. If i unplug/replug the keyboard, BOTH the mouse and keyboard then get power and i can continue as normal.

Very strange.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: problem solved. WTF gigabyte? i was installing a utility (hdmi firmware update tool) gigabyte recommends unplugging power cord after install for 30 seconds and booting. Upon boot, mouse/keyboard initialize as normal. okay...

that hdmi firmware update tool did nothing, won't work after the reboot, lol. Pretty sure this will be my last gigabyte motherboard, I just never saw this kind of 'stuff' from ASUS.
                              Last edited by Momo; 02-21-2016, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak View Post
                                The GIGABYTE Technical Support forum is now open and ready for posts!

Please welcome Mr. Janus Yeh from GIGABYTE who will be here to answer your tech questions related to all GIGABYTE products.

When posting questions, please provide as much info as possible such as full system specs, what operating system and drivers you are using and please describe your problem as full as possible.

This is also an area you can discuss upcoming GIGABYTE products and we will also conduct giveaways and competitions in here from time to time as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X