Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Hi,

I currently have the following setup
    *Intel i7-3820
    *Gigabyte X79-UD3 (Official Bios F16)
    *Gigabyte GTX 670OC
    *Seasonic S12D-750HT
    *G.Skill 8GB DDR3-RAM

Initially with the GTX670 OC installed with the f7 bios - I couldn't start the computer at all - I changed the video card and updated the bios to F16. Re-installed the video card and now it seems to work - but it seems to have some difficulty on first boot - it beeps once - then nothing comes on the screen - then it restarts itself and beeps once again and it starts normally. this happens every time i try to boot the PC.

Basically the issue I'm having is a minor one - but I'm thinking it's something to do with the BIOS... It's a strange issue.

I have tried the F17F modified bios on another of my builds, do you think I should also try it on this build?
    Last edited by pacman1988; 11-17-2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Yes. The modified BIOS has all the latest ROMs and has been updated.

Comment

@kostas75#:

I made a posting here summing up my measurements:

Comment

Hello everyone, i recently buy a Gigabyte R9 280x and im having a problem, when i restart my pc she don't recognize the vga like r9 200, only recognizing like VGA Standar, when i turn off my pc, wait a moment and then turn on, that's when my pc recognizes like r9 200 but when i restart again, the same problem got back, i try alot of things, but i dont get any solution, i try to change the pci-e port, change modular wire of my PSU and nothing.

My pc settings is:
          Intel i5 3570k + corsair h80, OC 4.3ghz (i leave default and the problem persist)
          Motherboard asrock z77 extreme4-m (last bios, vga onboard disabled, i clear CMos, no solution)
          2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz
          PSU SeaSonic Platinum 1000w (the PSU has 2 modes, hybrid and normal, i try the two and nothing)
          1 HDD.
          Windows 8.1 Pro

screens gpu-z
          http://i40.tinypic.com/9iy5ae.gif (when i restart)
          http://i44.tinypic.com/2hz4dwl.gif (when i turn off and on)

I try different versions of driver and nothing, im with F31 Bios, because if i install F3 or F12 my screen start to flickering.

Sorry for my bad english.

edit: i upload again the links
          Last edited by JavierL; 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak View Post
            Please remember RMA discussion is now totally banned from these forums.
            From Tweak town or just the gigabyte section? Lol I'll refrain from elaborating but I couldn't help myself after my most recent experience.

I had always been a gigabyte fanboy.

Anyhow before I get any further off topic, I'm not sure if this falls under tech support directly but... Would modification of the barbs used for the chipset block void my warranty? (OC force) at first glance they seem to be unchangeable however I had hoped to dig deeper if I can do so without offering a scapegoat should I have a board failure down the road.

The cost of this board n all, I intend to get some years out of it :p

Comment

Originally posted by klepp0906 View Post
              From Tweak town or just the gigabyte section? Lol I'll refrain from elaborating but I couldn't help myself after my most recent experience.

I had always been a gigabyte fanboy.

Anyhow before I get any further off topic, I'm not sure if this falls under tech support directly but... Would modification of the barbs used for the chipset block void my warranty? (OC force) at first glance they seem to be unchangeable however I had hoped to dig deeper if I can do so without offering a scapegoat should I have a board failure down the road.

The cost of this board n all, I intend to get some years out of it :p

From now on......
              please post your full SPEC.... with OS......drivers...
              and fell free to open new thread....
              Thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                From now on......
                please post your full SPEC.... with OS......drivers...
                and fell free to open new thread....
                Thanks....
                U want my specs and my OS over a question about waterblock barbs? Are u even reading my post? Lol! Wow...

Windows 8
                Oc force
                32gb 1866
                Samsung evo ssd
                Gtx titan gpu

Comment

klepp 0906:
                  I can only make a guess. Assuming they refurbish boards they might just simply refuse warranty on barb mods because they can't give your board out to someone else after fixing. Who would want a board with barbs sawed off or otherwise visibly modified? Dunno if they would replace the block...

What exactly would you do with the barbs?

Comment

What happend with GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh >> View Profile: GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh - TweakTown Forums

Last Activity: 19th January 2010

Do any Gigabyte Tech's visit the forums anymore
                    i7 4770K @ Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
                    Gigabyte GTX 780 WF OC 3GB @ 1215/3713 Corsair HX 750 PSU
                    Samsung 256GB SSD 830 Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
                    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Corsair Carbide Air 540

Comment

Janus Yeh is not more involved in our forum.

Now is stewart.haston.

Comment

Problem is:

The computer in my signature I have since approx. sept. Since then it was running smoothly until about a week ago when the trouble started:
                        - errors when booting windows (explorer.exe errors, video artefacts, system seeming stable but unable to open some gadgets, system seeming stable but unable to open control panel menus, system hanging during windows loading with black screen, DVD drive not recognized on rare occasions)
                        - errors when shutting down windows: system hanging, BSOD without bugchecks,
                        - on occasion that windows boots fine, then the computer behaves normal and is quite stable

I have made the following experiment:
                        1. windows seeming stable
                        2. shutdown/restart several times, all the time windows seeming stable
                        3. finally shutdown the computer, then flip the switch on the back of the PSU (or pull the power plug)
                        4. flip the switch on the back of the PSU back on, press the Power button
                        5. failed Windows load
                        6. several failed windows loading attempts, finally gave up
                        7. moved the mem stick to slot 4
                        8. attempt to boot Windows
                        9. Windows boots up fine
                        10. shutdown/restart several time - all OK (back in order)

Out of this experiment, it would seem that the MB has some trouble with flipping the switch on the back of the PSU (or complete power loss - I did have some power outages lately from the power company), and that the board recovers after making some changes which would require the BIOS to refresh (such as changing the slot of the mem stick). I have read that some older PSUs (this is an older PSU) have trouble with Haswell, but for this I have enabled "PowerLoading" in BIOS (F8 btw). that should take care of the PSU/Haswell compatibility. In any case the experiment above seems irrelevant because I have not been able to replicate this behavior at will. Most of the times I get it like that, but there are exceptions, which seem to invalidate the assumption that PSU incompatibility is the cause of this.

Another experiment I made:
                        1. Side plate of the case removed - system works mostly fine (except that sometimes I am unable to load some gadgets, and unable to open some Control Panel menus)
                        2. Side plate of the case mounted (case closed) - system consistently gives video artifacts

I was able to replicate this experiment several times, until at one time it worked also with the case closed .
                        About this experiment: the board is Micro-ATX, and the case is also Micro-ATX. However, I am not able to screw the 3 innermost screws of the MB to the case because the case does not have the mounting holes for it (I mean the 3 screws on the side of the MB which has the power connector and the SATA plugs). Therefore, out of my quasi limited electronics knowledge, it could be that by removing/mounting the case side plate the ground circuit of the MB might be impacted and therefore some weird behavior...

Also, I notice in HWInfo64 that the PCH temp is in the high 50, and also hitting 60deg sometimes. I believe that reading because I put my finger on the heat-sink and it was very hot (borderline to the pain threshold of my finger) - is that normal?

Bottom line: I do not know what is the problem:
                        - Haswell/PSU incompatibility: I have made the correct settings in BIOS for that but still my first experiment pointed in that direction at least for a while
                        - Incorrect GND circuit due to the missing 3 screw connections from the MB to the case - seems likely, but still here I am writing this post from a stable computer, with the case closed.
                        - in general it seems that it has something to do with complete power loss (PSU switched OFF/ON) and with the mounting of the side plate of he case
                        - it seems to have nothing to do with the memory because I have also tried to use a different stick (some Corsair...) and it behaves the same way.

Anybody have some ideas?

FYI:
                        - BIOS updated to latest F8,
                        - memory running 11.11.11.28 @1600 @ 1.5V (no XMP, just the fastest SPD entry)
                        - no OC-ing, everything @stock, PowerLoading Enabled
                        -

Thanks.

Comment

^Try with latest BIOS F9a..........here:

Comment

Hello Stasio,

The question is: is there any particular change in the F9a that is known to improve the behavior in the direction of my problem? If there is not any particular improvement in this direction, then I would rather not use it, since I am contemplating RMA of the board and I do not think that the seller will be thrilled about me running a beta BIOS on the board. (they might not accept my warranty)

In the mean time:
                            - I have mounted the board in another case and the behavior is the same.
                            - the thing is that even in the other case (I have in total tried 3 computer cases) I cannot find a match to that screw on the MB. I cannot get that last screw on any of the cases because there is no correcsponding screw hole on the backplate (weird)
                            - I have tried a different PSU (ANTEC VP450P) behavior is the same.
                            -here is a catch: the VP450P is listed as Haswell ready on Antec site. However, I think that the one I have is an older model because the current rating on the 5V rail is different than the one listed on the Antec site for this model. Therefore, I think it is safe to assume that my model of VP450P is not Haswell ready as well.
                            - I have tried different memory - same behavior

Now I am still down to 3 possibilities:
                            - incompatible PSU
                            - bad board
                            - bad CPU

The problem is I am not equipped to diagnose any of them (because have none lying around my house....)

Any other ideas?
                            What about the PCH temp?
                            I can post any pictures of BIOS screens, or case mounting for the next hours until I pack the board for RMA....

Thanks for helping quick. I would really hate to RMA it: it would be a hassle in general and also my failure to figure it out...

Comment

In this case......the best is to ask your seller,to check ............

Comment

• Is It Compatible???

Sir, Is the Gigabyte 970a-Ds3 rev 1.0 with f7a Bios support the FX 8320 Processor??? because I'm planning to buy the procie this Christmas :) need help here to decide guys!! thx in advance :D
                                Last edited by harold1911; 12-23-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X