HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

OMG i think all that time, coupe of times running Rufus when I change the settings accordingly as to the RAMCity video and then go to the bottom and select the ISO file from computer, the bloody settings at the top of Rufus change back to NTFS and MBR and because they get greyed out once I start I UN-intentionally ran it like that not knowing its not going to help at all! so now i see what was happening and selected the ISO file first then changes the settings to FAT32 and GPT lool . so HOPEFULLY now it should work.

Comment

NOPE, STILL DON'T WORK

okay so for some reason whatever i'm trying, with the SM951 ssd installed onto motherboard via PCIe adapter the BIOS can not see it anywhere. I did the process of using Rufus to create the UEFI USB boot drive with GPT and FAT32 format, when it was done I made sure all other drives were un-plugged then restarted. pressed F11, this boot menu still didn't show the sm951, but anywho carried on and booted from UEFI Lexar USB drive, it then went through the normal windows 10 setup process, I clicked on Install Now>Custom Installation>Skip Product Key(had to because my windows 8.1 one not working)>then on drive partitions I removed all drives and kept one drive 0 Partition 1 sm951 which is about 119GB>click Next, then installation begins>finishes installation all green ticks>system restarts>goes straight into BIOS - Can not find the SM951 it just installed windows on!!!

Comment

I think I know now why it hasn't been working. The BIOS Asrock said they sent is called L2.10A , however when I flashed my BIOS with the file they sent it is now called P2.10A , this might be the issue I have got the wrong BIOS initially.

Is there anyone from Asrock who can reply to me in this forum in support?

Comment

I'm not ASRock but my understanding is L represents a BETA BIOS and P represents a Production BIOS.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

And I don't IIRC believe that the drive, now mounted to the card, does show up in the BIOS, as it reads the card.

Have you even tried booting your Windows install?
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yeah tried to boot from the Windows 10 install that just installed, however it refuses to boot from anything as if the motherboard can't detect the drive as a boot device, when I try to boot every time just goes straight to BIOS. This is with nothing attached EXCEPT for SM951 on PCIe 3 x16 slot. this and the fact that when I press F11 to select boot device it doesn't even show there like it does on the RAMCity videos is making me think that I have the wrong BIOS and I need the special L version?

Comment

PM'd

Comment

FINALLY . It's working I can boot Windows 10 on the Samsung SM951 NVMe . The bios can now see and recognise the SM951 as I have updated it flash using Asrock special version P2.10B . Windows Boot Manager is set to first on boot priority list and in the CSM compatibility menu , launch Storage option ROM is set to UEFI only instead of Legacy , the rest of the CSM options are left how they were. Plugged the sata hard drive back and using that 1TB as a storage device with SM951 for programs and OS

Comment

Working...
                  X