X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
    What'dya mean you didn't help?? :)

I was only poking you for being so quick to state use Instant Flash. That's all.

Heck, you gave him links and instruction. Didn't help ... my a**. Yes you did.
    You made my day,

Comment

#1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Update - So I made a Windows 10 boot UEFI USB through magicISO and Rufus following RAMCity's instructions. I now need to know if there any other things I need to set up in the BIOS to get this SSD to work and boot into windows 10. At this moment I am still waiting for the SM951 to arrive, I will give an update later when I get it attached and set up (fingers crossed it works fine first time!)

Also, do you reckon I will get full speed with this drive installed,as my motherboard has another PCIe 3 x16 slot available next to GPU. The sm951 can handle up to 4x lanes of pcie 3 as its max to get those 2000MB/s read and 600MB/s wrights. will this mean my GTX760 thats in the first x16 slot will have its bandwidth halfed down to x8 speeds and run slower?

my cpu is 4670K.

thanks.

Comment

Below from ASRock > Z87M Extreme4
          Expansion / Connectivity
          Slots - 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3))
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Below from ASRock > Z87M Extreme4
            Expansion / Connectivity
            Slots - 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3))

won't affect my gaming performance that much would it? like FPS wise

Comment

Originally posted by K4MR4N View Post
              won't affect my gaming performance that much would it? like FPS wise
              I'll let someone who games chime in on that. Honestly, I don't game at all so I wouldn't have the foggiest idea.

Comment

I'll let someone who games chime in on that. Honestly, I don't game at all so I wouldn't have the foggiest idea.
                lol dont worry i just did some digging and found really good article on TechPowerUp on PCIe scaling, difference between PCIe 3 x8 and x16 is extremely small and most of the time no difference in performance!

anyway GPU's are a discussion for another time and another thread,
                I just can't wait to get the samsung SSD through the post, first move to an SSD and hopefully everything goes well! lol so many stories of people saying the same thing, "once you go SSD u never go back"

well i'm going from HDD straight to PCIe SSD so difference should be huuuuge!

I just hope windows 10 and basic programs will be enough for the 128GB drive after its formatted

Comment

When I fitted my sm951 256GB onto a pcie to m2 adaptor I thought if I put it in Pcie 3 x8 next to the graphics card slot performance would be hit on my Gtx 970 G1 so I put it in pcie2 x4 on my Asus Maximus 7hero but like you found out performance between pcie 3 & 2 is marginal but I left it in pcie 2 x4 slot quite happy with the slightly lower read & write speeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
                    When I fitted my sm951 256GB onto a pcie to m2 adaptor I thought if I put it in Pcie 3 x8 next to the graphics card slot performance would be hit on my Gtx 970 G1 so I put it in pcie2 x4 on my Asus Maximus 7hero but like you found out performance between pcie 3 & 2 is marginal but I left it in pcie 2 x4 slot quite happy with the slightly lower read & write speeds...

hmm, i'm probs going to install on the full x16 PCIe 3 slot anyway lol just to make sure there's no bottleneck anywhere and I get the full speed.
                    You monitoring temps on the SM951? I heard it gets really hot when in use, I have open area in my case which is phanteks enthoo evolv so the front 200mm fan is blowing through the system and hopefully right on top of my card also the fans on the GPU may affect temps don't know yet.

Comment

Well my SM951 256GB Idles around 29c and when I ran Anvils 32GB benchmark it shot upto 54c very quickly...
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	sm951 +0000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	755052

Comment

I asked Asrock if the NVMe drives work with the new BIOS update beacuse I didn't know 100% if the NVMe capability would be available through just a firmware upgrade as I initially thought it was a hardware level specification on the motherboard that allows use of NVMe drives. And they replied saying they have tested with the L2.10A BIOS the samsung sm951 256GB NVMe drive with my exact motherboard and success! it works. They did say however that If I am installing windows on it as boot drive then I have to install it in GPT mode, this I have done following RAMCity's guidance on installing the drive as a boot device.

I ordered the AHCI model of the 128GB prior to all this findings and now I will try to cancel the order and get the NVMe OEM version as it seems to be by spec, have much faster Random IOPS , 4KB Random Read is at 300K for the NVMe and 90K for the AHCI, also 4KB Random Write is at 83K for NVMe and 70K for AHCI.

Its a no brainer really

Comment

Yea, GPT is a requirement. Either AHCI or NVMe.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Okay so having some issues getting the SM951 NVMe to boot ! 😫
                            I have followed RAM City video on how to install it on Windows, however once I complete the installation set up going through the interface , it restarts in the end and then just doesn't boot from sm951 as if it can't see it anywhere , but when I go through the setup I see it as 119GB space to install Windows 10 on , I click next and then it goes through the process ..Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	755054

But when it restarts it just boots to setup again from UEFI USB that's plugged in.

Comment

Continued ...

This is an image of what drive looks like during Windows 10 setup on the the UEFI USB

Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	755055

Comment

Continue ...
                                And when I go to my BIOS and system browser tool I can see that the PCI slot is occupied with the Lycom-DT120 adapter I installed with the sm951 on it but all the BIOS says is Mass Storage Controller, is this an issue with the motherboard not being compatible with the SSD? Because Asrock support emailed me and confirmed that it works with the BIOS that I flashed.

Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	755056

Comment

Working...
                                X