HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

Hello if anyone from Asrock Support would help me on this would be great!

I want to buy a Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 SSD you know the crazy fast ones, and I need to know If I get one of those Lycom m.2 to PCIe lane adapter boards and put them two together and plug the board with SSD mounted into my PCIe lane on Motherboard, Will I be able to boot from the SSD using the PCIe interface and changing some settings in the BIOS?? (currently running 1.60 version)

NVMe is what I would have rather than AHCI due to higher speeds and if there is a BIOS update from asrock then both should work for booting

I am just hoping the good folks at Asrock can PLEASE get an update to the BIOS of this board to support what I want to do if not already done. PLEASE!?
    Last edited by K4MR4N; 11-17-2015, 07:24 AM. Reason: changing AHCI to NVMe , I i ordered that instead

Re: HELP! Booting from SM951 AHCI via PCIe Adapter on Z87M Extreme4

UPDATE!!!!

Asrock Support just sent me an email after I contacted them directly on their main site. There is a special BIOS for this board which version L2.10A -probably made for release of the PCIe SSD's and adds boot capability. i just need to know how to install a BIOS from the zip file they sent me :p first time updating a UEFI bios , i don't want to brick mobo!

Comment

PM NOT Sent

Hmm. you don't like PM's huh?
      Last edited by - wardog -; 11-12-2015, 07:22 AM.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

oops, try now

Comment

Originally posted by K4MR4N View Post
          oops, try now
          PM'd
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

For anyone else looking. It's very easy. You extract the ZIP, you place it on a formatted FAT32 flash drive, you boot into UEFI and go to tools tab and look for instant flash.

There are instructions on the download page of everyone's motherboard page, where you download a UEFI file, even has pictures.

ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
              For anyone else looking. It's very easy. You extract the ZIP, you place it on a formatted FAT32 flash drive, you boot into UEFI and go to tools tab and look for instant flash.

There are instructions on the download page of everyone's motherboard page, where you download a UEFI file, even has pictures.

ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction
              And this is assuming it's the Instant Flash method, right? Not Windows or DOS based?

Yea, it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                And this is assuming it's the Instant Flash method, right? Not Windows or DOS based?

Yea, it matters.
                It matters, oh my and here I've only been modding UEFI/BIOS for years and didn't know. LOL My bad I forgot, but usually ASrock sends out instant flash, as they consider it the best method, and they have never sent me a DOS or Windows zip so I wasn't thinking.

No harm, as the instant flash method I posted won't flash a DOS or windows file anyway if someone did try.
                Last edited by odiebugs; 11-12-2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Ok so they sent me a .10A file Iv never worked with before and it was in a zipped folder and the only file there.

Does this mean it's a DOS or Windows BIOS update

Comment

What is the full file name

Comment

It matters, oh my and here I've only been modding UEFI/BIOS for years and didn't know. LOL My bad I forgot, but usually ASrock sends out instant flash, as they consider it the best method, and they have never sent me a DOS or Windows zip so I wasn't thinking.

No harm, as the instant flash method I posted won't flash a DOS or windows file anyway if someone did try.
                      I too assume it's an Instant Flash BIOS, but nonetheless .......

Comment

file name is

Z87MEx42.10A

i can't upload the .zip folder here its 5.4MB which is too big for this thread, or so it tells me

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	755049
                        Last edited by K4MR4N; 11-13-2015, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Okay I will try flashing BIOS with this one file, I have done full format of FAT32 on USB stick and will tonight put the file on it and boot into UEFI and follow the Asrock instructions from there, Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by K4MR4N View Post
                            Okay I will try flashing BIOS with this one file, I have done full format of FAT32 on USB stick and will tonight put the file on it and boot into UEFI and follow the Asrock instructions from there, Thanks for your help guys.
                            I didn't help but nice you said guy's.

Windows see's after . so because ASrock called it a .10a, you see 10A file, which does mean it's a instant flash file, remember that a DOS and windows flash are application files and show Application. One runs inside windows and the other runs before windows but run in DOS so it's still a App.

If it wasn't a instant flash, when you ran instant flash from tools inside the UEFI, it wouldn't find a file to flash if it was a app, it only see's a instant flash file, so you're all set.

Comment

I didn't help but nice you said guy's.
                              What'dya mean you didn't help?? :)

I was only poking you for being so quick to state use Instant Flash. That's all.

Heck, you gave him links and instruction. Didn't help ... my a**. Yes you did.

Comment

Working...
                              X