FM2A88X+ Fatality RAM won't run beyond 1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FM2A88X+ Fatality RAM won't run beyond 1600

Bleh. I must have been thinking of the ASRock QVL. My bad!!

Comment

Decided to be a bit more aggressive today with settings, raised voltage on several things to recommended levels and even a hair beyond based partially what I found on G.Skill's site with the same RAM kit and different boards. Wardog, I didn't realize you had posted on G.Skill's forum before too. :p Sadly it was a failure to 2133. I'm somewhat experimenting with what causes the system to power off rather than just reset and it seems to be anything speed related. I raised several voltages and raised GPU speed to 800 Mhz which has been rock stable in the past, system shut down, restarted just fine.

As previously mentioned ASRock has gotten back to me about just RMAing the board but I'm not sure that'll do any good since it could be a combination of both parts and generally when one RMA's something the expectation is it's dead or retailers tend to hit people with restocking fees.

Comment

Now that you can seemingly get into Windows can I suggest you install HWiNFO(32/64) and monitor your voltages.

Hard resets like what you describe above are usually PSU related. I hinted at the age of this PSU back quite a few posts ago. But now what with you finally getting into Windows and hard resets, the PSU could explain away everything you're being hammered with there in respect to no stability.

Install HWiNFO.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I'm currently running memtest at 1866, I raised my nb speed to 2 ghz, raised voltage on ram, vddp, northbridge, and igpu, disabled cool'n'quiet as well as C1 or C6 (not sure which number brain fart), manuallt set timings pretty loose at cas 9 11-11-11-30 CR 2, ran titanfall for about 10 mins.

I also set the igpu for 800 mhz. So far so good, pass 1 complete.

Comment

I just read your post over at the G.Skill forum.

re: AMD and weak IMC's

This might be a discussable topic were it not for the simple fact here yours hasn't ran at stock/default settings yet. Related to incompatible memory or possibly weak PSU rail, I don't know. I do know that 7850K is native 2133 with two sticks, and the board too is 2133 capable. AMD's IMC "weakness' doesn't relate to stock setting or capabilities. It's that they're referred to as weak because while overclocking they don't have the overall breadth or width as an Intel does in respect to up down left right flexibility Intels have. There's that and I consider myself very very lucky to have an AMD that runs for sticks at it's IMC rated 2133. Another downfall of AMDs. Their IMC just don't go head to head with an Intel. Knowing that limitation going in and I have no regrets over the years of using AMD's solely.

Yet I haven't seen you do what I would consider required, under normal circumstances of which this is not, to take the time and determine just how hearty the IMC on your chip is in the way of properly and thoroughly testing it's OC capabilities from it's stock "baseline'. That chance will apparently be afforded to you when whatever it is that's holding them/you back now is determined, and then remedied. I feel for ya, I really really do. It's just that your gung-ho intent at jumping straight to overclocking all the while not stopping and exploring just what or why it is that it doesn't run stable at stock settings is confusing here. Your upping volts and MHz before addressing a root issue/fault is as I said before. That is you are taking a sledgehammer to it to bend it to your will instead of acknowledging, inspecting, and determining just what's the problem here. I've called myself a glutton for punishment yet I also recognize from the distance I am from your problems here that you might maybe be going at this the wrong way, for too long now.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I suppose I ought to have said a few posts ago that I took a meter to the psu. I think you confirmed in a prior post here that your board had shut itself off and turned on again while changing some setting or another and with that in mind I went about my merry maraudering of research and note taking. I'm up to hour 5 on memtest, so I'm pretty sure I'm good at 1866, cause I noticed one other thing too in every screenie I've seen of 2133 running at 2133 the northbridge frequency has been closer to 2 gigs than 1800 as is stock. I had also read somewhere else, possibly in the 50 page monstrosity, which said that generally RAM has to be at the same speed as the NB. This is why I tried cranking up the fsb in the beginning. Back when pc133 was fast I ran into this same problem, 133 mhz ram would only run at 100 till I upped the fsb to 133. Seems things are a bit different now but if what I read is correct the theory would be the same. The only flaw with this is 1800 should have pushed 1866 just fine but again times have changed and I apparently have a ton to relearn. :D

Comment

HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO

If only to get past the PSU as an issue.

Did the OP ever run CPU-Z on his memory, and check the SPD and memory tabs?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO HWiNFO

If only to get past the PSU as an issue.
                  I tried convincing him. I really did. Screenies would be nice. There must be something there he doesn't want shown

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Did the OP ever run CPU-Z on his memory, and check the SPD and memory tabs?
                  Yea,he looked at 'em in post 16 here, same. And too, in his Imgur pics too they're posted.

Comment

You suggested HWinfo 13 and 8 hours ago which would have put it around 8 pm which was around feeding time and about the same time I started my 13.60 hour long memtest at 1866. Running HWinfo as I type this since..you know, I'm back on my desktop. ;)

This reminds me a bit of aida64, I've completed a report. Odd that hwinfo is telling me part of my chipset is a 78 series rather than 88 series.
                    Attached Files

Comment

How's them voltages looking there?

Comment

From my understanding of voltage in relation to Kaveri overall they look peachy. Most people I've seen don't push beyond 1.3 unless there's some serious overclocking going on. Everything else is what I've found from people who have nb and ram settings where I want to be. :D

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                          How's them voltages looking there?
                          Allow me to re-phrase:

How's them +3.3v, +5v, and +12v voltages looking there in HWiNFO that you're monitoring and or recording in regards to when it's re-setting w/o producing a blue screen(BSOD)??

Comment

Gotcha, the voltage looks nice and stable. I toyed around a little more today with timings and stuff, 2133 would post but freeze when in the bios. When I tried to boot to winders it gave me the corruption crap again so I think your recommendation to look at voltage was a good direction. I'm wondering too if I loosened timings a bit more that I could get that final bump. I'm not at home, and my tablet is charging atm else I'd post all my notes about timings, what I've disabled, and the like. I also bumped up my GPU to 847. I might try for 900 soonly.

Comment

Dang ya "Grammar NAZI", still haven't gotten them to 2133 huh?

That sux. Carry on with your titans.

Comment

Found me on another forum did ya? ;) Still haven't hit 2133, a friend of mine and I who've been spending too much time together agreed that we'd make a pretty good couple so my time has been spent with her and prepping costumes for various conventions lately. Toss in school and kid my experimentation time is pretty minimal. :p

Comment

Working...
                                X