Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FM2A88X+ Fatality RAM won't run beyond 1600

No one's dumb here on Tt. No one.

One more screenie if you would. That being OC Tweaker > DRAM Timing Control (the one that has "Auto" next to it), set it to Manual and that subsequent data next shown/opened is the one I'm looking for.

Check that both sticks have the same SPD data programmed, either by looking separately at A2 and B2 in the BIOS or in CPU-Z's SPD tab. The numbers shown should match stick to stick, row to row, column to column.

Lastly, describe how you set them to 1866 or 2133 in the BIOS please.

Thanks,
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Two new pics posted under rama2 and ramb2. In the bios OC-Tweaker I set the ram frequency to XXXX Mhz. I briefly tinkered with the additional manual settings but was reluctant to delve into it too far since I've never played with timings before.

According to the bios both sticks have identical everything as posted. I noticed in cpu-z under the GPU memory speed it's set at 800 which iirc would be 1600 DDR, I kinda wonder what would happen if I popped in a dedicated video card...which I happen to have a spare of.

Comment

Originally posted by ASCI Blue View Post
        Two new pics posted under rama2 and ramb2. In the bios OC-Tweaker I set the ram frequency to XXXX Mhz. I briefly tinkered with the additional manual settings but was reluctant to delve into it too far since I've never played with timings before.

According to the bios both sticks have identical everything as posted. I noticed in cpu-z under the GPU memory speed it's set at 800 which iirc would be 1600 DDR, I kinda wonder what would happen if I popped in a dedicated video card...which I happen to have a spare of.
        I believe I can declare Bingo!

In only your setting ram frequency to XXXX Mhz or in possibly your changing "some'(?) of the timings in Manual that alone wasn't changing the timings/voltages to coincide to the higher selected XXXX speed.

Let's do this. Let's let the BIOS set everything up for you using the XMP Profile 2 which has the CR of 2. Well, the XMP Profile 2 of the kits I have here are CR 2 and I'm hoping yours do too.
        1. First clear the BIOS so that any timings or other possible ram adjustments you've made get cleared out. You're a Pro at this now, right? :)
        2. Reboot right back into the BIOS and enter the page of the BIOS displayed by the pic below that I conveniently highjacked from you Imgur Album
        3. The line below where it says Load XMP Settings-----Auto, touch Auto and select XMP 1.3 Profile 2, DO NOT TOUCH OR CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE, immediately proceed to the Exit tab of the BIOS and select Save Changes and Exit
        4. Reboot, well hopefully it's successful in rebooting now, and head right back into the BIOS. Make any SATA or other settings changes needed and after select Save Changes and Exit and see if your Windows install comes up, error free

Click image for larger version

Name:	hVfxXFr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	754218
        Last edited by - wardog -; 03-26-2014, 06:44 AM.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

That was a no go. :( I booted to a platter drive rather than risk a second ssd, I have a mostly black screen and the line: The file is possibly corrupt. The file header and checksum does not match the corrupted checksum. This is an install which I created an image from, backed up, then kept using until the new drive was in and I had used this install all last weekend as well.

Any time I change ram timing the system acts like it's lost power rather than just restarting. It does start back up on it's own though. When XMP was selected I managed to get back into the bios and it had the ram set at 2133. I'm stumped as to why this is being so cranky.
          Last edited by ASCI Blue; 03-26-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

That was a no go. :( I booted to a platter drive rather than risk a second ssd, I have a mostly black screen and the line: The file is possibly corrupt. The file header and checksum does not match the corrupted checksum. This is an install which I created an image from, backed up, then kept using until the new drive was in and I had used this install all last weekend as well.

Any time I change ram timing the system acts like it's lost power rather than just restarting. It does start back up on it's own though. When XMP was selected I managed to get back into the bios and it had the ram set at 2133. I'm stumped as to why this is being so cranky.
            If it booted at 2133 and passed POST using the method I outlined above, which it did as it allowed you back in the BIOS at 2133, then it's time for a fresh OS install. Passing POST and then only to puke after "handing off' to the OS with the corruption you say is a rather convincing proof the OS on the disk is hosed.

Good thing is you now know how to set up a BIOS to properly configure and make use of that mem's XMP setting. That's why I asked a couple posts up of just how/what you were doing that it was failing to go above 1600.

I've seen mine do that "power off' thing before too. It should have only happened once immediately on/after the ram config change upon Save Changes and Exit and subsequent reboot

Comment

I question the OS being hosed, when I reset to 1600 it boots just peachy. I think it's only the MBR that gets corrupted, after restarting I had to boot with a disc and use bootsec /fixmbr before it would boot again. I'll have to try setting ram speed, exit, and boot with a disc to see if I can fixmbr before booting to 'doze.

One of the other things I had read is the nb frequency need to be set at the same speed as the RAM which brings me back to an old Epox board I had with 133 ram. I had to set the board for 133 before it would work and I haven't seen a similar setting with this board and bios.

Comment

Question: Just what other BIOS setting have been changed from whence the MB's BIOS was stock out of the box factory fresh?

I've built and sold 8-9 of these and not once experienced what you are there. Which is why I ask the question above. I slap 'em together, set XMP, install an OS, and all mine have run.

How confident are you that you installed/seated the CPU properly AND got the HS/F on properly too w/o overtightening it?

Comment

I first had to do a bios update as I was running 1.0 or 1.1 to 1.7. I then set my shared ram to 2 gigs from 1. I upped the GPU clock from 720 to 800 mhz and it reports 840 when booted to Windows via the ASRock OC utility.

I'm 100% on seating the CPU properly, I somewhat question the hsf tightness as I've never installed one with the screw mount before. The first thing I did was to toss the factory version aside cause they generally suck and this one is smaller than the barely adequate A64 X2 2500 I had.

According to the manual it wants the OS installed before any settings are messed with, should my next step be to set XMP and try fixmbr assuming it boots via disc? Should I also maybe loosen the hsf a bit?

It's getting downright cranky now. I reset the cmos via button and after setting XMP profile 2 it just black screens. I also loosened the hsf a touch but that shouldn't matter as far as working vs not.
                  Last edited by ASCI Blue; 03-26-2014, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I first had to do a bios update as I was running 1.0 or 1.1 to 1.7. I then set my shared ram to 2 gigs from 1. I upped the GPU clock from 720 to 800 mhz and it reports 840 when booted to Windows via the ASRock OC utility.

I'm 100% on seating the CPU properly, I somewhat question the hsf tightness as I've never installed one with the screw mount before. The first thing I did was to toss the factory version aside cause they generally suck and this one is smaller than the barely adequate A64 X2 2500 I had.

According to the manual it wants the OS installed before any settings are messed with, should my next step be to set XMP and try fixmbr assuming it boots via disc? Should I also maybe loosen the hsf a bit?
                    All things in that first sentence are cool. I was with ya until where you say you now dinked with the GFX speed. And prolly too set a OC in A-Tuning util that auto runs upon Windows startup. I don't know how much time you spent banging you head with this till you cam here. But I will say coming here didn't happen soon enough. It's reversible and all but.........

If you would please, let's concentrate on getting it up and running again/now w/o any NON stock settings. I know what I do here in getting one running but without my knowing of any changes you('ve)('re) making/made there it's a daunting task to do in text form, over the 'net, and no less, through time zones and during forum posts.

First thing is to go/get back into the BIOS and reset that GFX clock back to Auto/stock settings. Your changing that and, in this/your instance here anyways, not correcting another now shall be unmentioned setting may very well be what you(and I!) have been banging our collective brains out over. I dunno so I'll ask, but doesn't resetting the BIOS set the GFX clock back to Auto/stock each time a reset is done?? Never performed and looked here at that so ...

This time, instead of using the CLR CMOS Button on the back, I'd like to do a FULL cmos clear using the CLRCMOS jumper and battery removal method. Do that with the power cord unplugged from the wall, the psu's power switch turned Off, and then hit the cases Power button, then wait 1 minute, remove the cmos batt, jumper CLRCMOS1, leave it like this for 5 mins, then starting with reinserting the cmos batt(right side up!), rejumpering CLRCMOS1, connect power to the wall, flip the psu's switch, recheck everything touched, and power her on, going straight into the BIOS on this first after clearing boot. Go to the Exit tab, Load UEFI Defaults then Save Changes and Exit, rebooting again. Jumping right back into the BIOS set XMP as explained above, and only as explained, Save Changes and Exit, reboot, right back into the BIOS make any SATA or other needed changes, and reply back what happens when Windows starts.

Speaking of Windows, just where during Windows loading do things go south and the display freak?

Comment

It's getting downright cranky now. I reset the cmos via button and after setting XMP profile 2 it just black screens. I also loosened the hsf a touch but that shouldn't matter as far as working vs not.
                      Again please, No one will get emails to their Inbox at home if you edit posts instead of creating a new post. Heavily editing them such as done above anyways. I wouldn't have seen that line if I hadn't gone back and re-read that edit/addition.

Snug that HS back up. No sense risking creating air pockets between the lid and HS.

And earlier I looked closer, both your XMP Profiles have a CR of 2. That box of mine is shut down atm but next I power her back up I'll have to look at again and see just what mine do say for CR in Profile 1.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                        Speaking of Windows, just where during Windows loading do things go south and the display freak?
                        If it doesn't boot into Windows after doing that long winded one I threw at ya above, since you seem to know what to change to/at 1600 and are "allowed' back into Windows, can I suggest you undo/reset any changes you've set in A-Tuning. I think, think, you can disable A-Tunings settings from auto-running by simply unselecting that check box that says something akin to Auto Run on Windows Start up in the lower corner.

Too, look in Windows Power Management that A-Tuning didn't create it's own power profile and thus now be defaulting to.

I gotta run out for an hour or so, brb

Comment

okay so I've done exactly what you've said as far as resetting, wading through my stock bios settings I find that Command Rate on auto is 1t, what I didn't realize is that it's also 1t in the screenies I posted and it's like this for both RAMs, would that mean I'd still want Profile 2 or do I need something else? I'm starting to see a reluctance to post now when using the XMP profiles. I've had my system freeze when I enter the bios to check settings.

I also made sure to set A-Tuning to NOT start since I've experimented with software like that in the past.

Comment

There are instances where using XMP Profiles for one reason or another(unknown) just don't work as expected. That was where I was headed before taking leave a while back

Huh, shows a CR of 1?? ..........looking at your Imgur gallery screenies .......... Oh! it'll show a CR of 1 only because you haven't/hadn't yet set the XMP Profiles. Look :

Click image for larger version

Name:	BIOS SPD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	754223

Where above the CR lines show as blank, that is I'm guessing the BIOS interpreting as CR 1. While under the two XMP headings, the CR is clearly defined as 2 for both Profiles.

By all means. Try setting them up manually and lets see what occurs. Use the above pic for reference while in the BIOS setting them manually, set the DRAM Frequeny to 2133, only edit/change the first top four timings, making sure that the values entered are correctly made in each of their respective lines in the BIOS, change the CR to 2, and change the DRAM voltage to 1.6. Leaving all other ram options to Auto or whatever the may show as by default.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                              only edit/change the first top four timings, making sure that the values entered are correctly made in each of their respective lines in the BIOS,
                              Grrr, pardon me again. It's late here and I'm bleary eyed tired too boot.

Take those four timings I mentioned above but forgot to tell from where, from the 2133 column. 11-11-11-30, CR 2, DRAM Voltage @ 1.60v. Those are it, nothing more at this point anyways. Let's see what she does on Manual.

And, you may want to use the Clear CMOS Button between doing this. That does sometimes make all the difference.
                              Last edited by - wardog -; 03-27-2014, 01:05 AM. Reason: BMOS > CMOS

Comment

a minor breakthrough. I seem to have a stable 1866 machine using manual controls. bios and cpu-z recognizes the increase and is reporting accurately. for 1866 9-9-9-24-33 seems to be working. I will have to run more testing to determine stability but as the cpu and ram is rated for 2133 I'm confident saying I should be good at 1866. Seems maybe the xmp profile is off on something, just not sure what. Maybe all the timings need to be lower?

Comment

Working...
                                X