Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bios Update Disaster HELP PLEASE.

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
    no it wont void your warranty,all your doing as replacing the bios chip,they pull out anyway,its the same as updating/flashing the bios
    That`s what i thought But according to the Re-seller i bought the board from:

[QUOTE] Any component level replacement on the motherboard will void your warrenty, I would be looking at trying to revert back to a previous bios update rather than replacing a chip.
    I would expect it to have a backup bios for this this kind of situation. Have you contacted AsRock directly to find out if they have a solution? ]

MY ANSWER : Yes, they are sending me two new chips to try.

[QUOTE] If you can not get it working with the new bios then i'm sure that, with the e-mails from asrock stating the bios update has caused your issue, we should be able to arrange a replacement through the usual RMA process ]

Anyway I got in touch with Asrock support and they said ;

[quote] Hi Paul,

Replacing the BIOS chip will not void the warranty. Please just be careful
    that you do not make any scratches on the board (with the pliers or
    screwdriver that you are using), and that you do not pull the socket from
    the board together with the chip. Only the chip itself should come off. If
    you scratch the board or break off the socket, then that could be considered
    as physical damage. That might be a problem.

I replacing the chip does not fix the problem, then you need to look at
    possible reasons why the system does not work. In that case it is best that
    you contact me again and I can give you some clues how to test it.

Of course if the motherboard turns out to be faulty (which I do not expect),
    and there is no physical damage, then the warranty should be honoured.

Best regards, ***** ******* ]

So good advice Wazza300 cheers.

so here goes i will report back with the outcome FINGERS CROSSED.

Comment

there gonna have a very hard time proving youve pulled out a bios chip and replaced it with an identical one

if you get a very tiny flat bladed screwdriver or a pair of tweezers and slide it inbetween the bottom of the bios chip and motherboard bios bracket it will lift it up enough so you can pull it out with your fingers,pull it straight upwards so not to bend the tiny metal prongs on the chip itself
      Last edited by wazza300; 08-31-2012, 07:56 AM.
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So I have tried the Bios v 2.20 and I just get the same problems as the Instant Flash update, (ie 5 beeps Processor error) and oversized bios screen, which is what I expected as it looks like its only for IVY.

Then the Chip with the v1.20 went in and Bingo everything is back to as it was with the original v 1.00.
        The only change I can see in the bios screen, is an additional option for (mouse scroll wheel) that takes away the mouse stuttering in the bios when (Enabled).

So thanks Asrock for the chips,

But NO thanks to you the problem/s of me and many other Asrock board users could so very easily have bean avoided if only you had put out two separate Bios updates, One for Ivy-bridge & One for Sandy-bridge. Or at least a notice on the Bios update page that if you have a Sandy CPU in your board you run a High risk of update failure with v2.01 & v2.20.

Anyway Rant over, and thanks to all for the input/advice, now I must go and see if my original overclocks will work with the new bios and do some stability testing.

Comment

Originally posted by soundesciple View Post
          So I have tried the Bios v 2.20 and I just get the same problems as the Instant Flash update, (ie 5 beeps Processor error) and oversized bios screen, which is what I expected as it looks like its only for IVY.

Then the Chip with the v1.20 went in and Bingo everything is back to as it was with the original v 1.00.
          The only change I can see in the bios screen, is an additional option for (mouse scroll wheel) that takes away the mouse stuttering in the bios when (Enabled).

So thanks Asrock for the chips,

But NO thanks to you the problem/s of me and many other Asrock board users could so very easily have bean avoided if only you had put out two separate Bios updates, One for Ivy-bridge & One for Sandy-bridge. Or at least a notice on the Bios update page that if you have a Sandy CPU in your board you run a High risk of update failure with v2.01 & v2.20.

Anyway Rant over, and thanks to all for the input/advice, now I must go and see if my original overclocks will work with the new bios and do some stability testing.
          Hi,

Glad to hear it looks like you are now sorted - lets hope the overclocking and testing confirms this.Good luck.

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X