Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bios Update Disaster HELP PLEASE.

Originally posted by tipes View Post
    Well it is not actually totally not possible, but involves hacking to make it work afaik. The problem seems to be that you cannot revert too earlier bios because of new microcode in the latest bios
    to support ivybridge cpu which has diiferent method of controlling memory etc. I believe if you get a latest bios coded with microcode for sandybridge chip then all should be well. Hope I have explained ok.

Mark
    So if i understand you correctly and what your saying is true, Anyone updating to v:2.20 that has a S/B CPU in there board will not be able to successfully update there bios because it only has microcode supporting I/B CPU`s.

No wonder a lot of people are having problems when updating there boards. Surely Asrock should put a warning notice on there bios Download page
    explaining this to people wishing to update.

Anyway thanks for that info just waitin for a reply from Asrock Emily now.

Comment

Originally posted by soundesciple View Post
      So if i understand you correctly and what your saying is true, Anyone updating to v:2.20 that has a S/B CPU in there board will not be able to successfully update there bios because it only has microcode supporting I/B CPU`s.

No wonder a lot of people are having problems when updating there boards. Surely Asrock should put a warning notice on there bios Download page

Anyway thanks for that info just waitin for a reply from Asrock Emily now.
      Afaik - yes this is the situation due to different microcode for sandy/ivy chips. Trouble is a lot of people also updated their bios for the new look to it, and hoping for better performance
      and overclocks etc. I suppose the old caveat applies here - if it aint broke, dont fix it. I too got caught by this for not following my own advice. Just wish Asrocks warning on their site had been a bit plainer.
      Also I dont understand why they did not have two versions of the bios for each chip - which would have avoided these issues?????

I am sure Emily will sort it for you though.

Mark

Comment

i am curious about this too. let us know what Emily says.

also i want to know if the bios update would fix the issue where you can't have more than two usb 2.0 ports in use during POST for the p67 e4 g3 board without it freezing on the bios splash screen.

Comment

I am having a similar issue with d6 error code. I flashed to 3.10 BIOS on my p67 Extreme4 (NOT a Gen3). Now upon boot, I get no image at all from my GTX 470, it doesn't even kick the fan on at max when starting up like normal.

Now, strangely, plugging in an old 3870x2 ATI card makes everything work just fine, I can boot into windows and everything.

Even MORE strange, I can plug my 470 into the main PCI-E slot, plug the 3870x2 into a second slot, hook my monitor up to my 470, and THAT works with everything through my 470 for some reason....

I saw something about Sandy Bridge incompatibility with this 3.10 BIOS, so maybe that's it? I have i7-2600k at the moment.

Anyway, I'm really at a loss here as I can't really have 2 GPUs plugged in as they block all the other PCI ports that I need to use for soundcard and wireless card. Plus, I really don't want to be drawing all that power if I don't have to...so what can I do? =/

Comment

Originally Posted by tipes
            Well it is not actually totally not possible, but involves hacking to make it work afaik. The problem seems to be that you cannot revert too earlier bios because of new microcode in the latest bios
            to support ivybridge cpu which has diiferent method of controlling memory etc. I believe if you get a latest bios coded with microcode for sandybridge chip then all should be well. Hope I have explained ok.

Mark

Anyway thanks for that info just waitin for a reply from Asrock Emily now

I have the same problem any new bios for SB? Please HELP!

Comment

Update from me:

Got in contact with asrock tech support and they are sending me a new chip with 1.5 BIOS. Trying to get them to make it more clear on the website that the 3.10 BIOS is pretty much for Ivy Bridge only so more people don't ruin their stuff, but they seem pretty stubborn about it lol

Comment

This entire situation with the SB and IB supposedly being compatible with all 1155 boards is really becoming a mess, and not only with ASRock. These issues seem to be generally the same in other mother board manufactures products.

When I see "compatible", IMO that means you can use one part (CPU) with another part (mobo) without any issues. Meaning I can use my SB CPU in it for a while, and then use my IB CPU for a while, and go back to SB if I want to. I should have known it would not be that simple. It does make sense that at least some parts of a UEFI/BIOS for IB will not work with SB, and vice versa.

The main thing here is it should be announced in BIG LETTERS... NOTE!!! If the new UEFI won't work with the other CPUs, just say so, why is that so terrible? I almost did that to my ASUS P67 board with their IB compatible UEFI, which ruined the UEFI for SB CPUs. Is any mobo manufacture providing two versions of their UEFIs, one for each CPU? Doesn't look like it.

I should ask Intel about this in their forums, and research this some more. Good luck to those dealing with this!

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  This entire situation with the SB and IB supposedly being compatible with all 1155 boards is really becoming a mess, and not only with ASRock. These issues seem to be generally the same in other mother board manufactures products.

When I see "compatible", IMO that means you can use one part (CPU) with another part (mobo) without any issues. Meaning I can use my SB CPU in it for a while, and then use my IB CPU for a while, and go back to SB if I want to. I should have known it would not be that simple. It does make sense that at least some parts of a UEFI/BIOS for IB will not work with SB, and vice versa.

The main thing here is it should be announced in BIG LETTERS... NOTE!!! If the new UEFI won't work with the other CPUs, just say so, why is that so terrible? I almost did that to my ASUS P67 board with their IB compatible UEFI, which ruined the UEFI for SB CPUs. Is any mobo manufacture providing two versions of their UEFIs, one for each CPU? Doesn't look like it.

I should ask Intel about this in their forums, and research this some more. Good luck to those dealing with this!
                  Having two versions of the bios would solve these issues - have suggested this to Asrock, but fallen on deaf ears, shame on Asrock.
                  Maybe eventually someone will take note and address this stupid situation properly.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Kier Clark View Post
                    Update from me:

Got in contact with asrock tech support and they are sending me a new chip with 1.5 BIOS. Trying to get them to make it more clear on the website that the 3.10 BIOS is pretty much for Ivy Bridge only so more people don't ruin their stuff, but they seem pretty stubborn about it lol
                    Hi Clark, wich is your mobo and the bios version of your new chip? mine is p67 extreme4 gen3, with p2.2 but sandy bridge

Comment

Originally posted by newerm View Post
                      Hi Clark, wich is your mobo and the bios version of your new chip? mine is p67 extreme4 gen3, with p2.2 but sandy bridge
                      My motherboard is a P67 Extreme4 (not Gen3) with B3 stepping. I received a new BIOS chip from ASRock, but it was only version 1.1. Since installing the new chip, I have had several issues including intermittent system lockups, my GTX 670 only running at x8 PCI-E despite being in a confirmed PCI-E x16 slot and under full load, and unable to disable spread spectrum in the BIOS. Hopefully I can fix these in the next few days...

Comment

Originally posted by Kier Clark View Post
                        Update from me:

Hello again, I got my new bios chips from Asrock today but before i go changing it i would just like to know would replacing the chip void my warranty on the board?

Comment

Hello again, I got my new bios chips from Asrock today but before i go changing it i would just like to know would replacing the chip void my warranty on the board?
                          Could someone from Asrock please answer this.

Comment

Might be waiting a while for an answer - still don't know why they dont offer two versions of bios,as it would solve this problem once and for all.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark, I actualy Sent an email to Asrock support yesterday about 3 oclock and got a reply this morning saying that replaceing the chip would not void the warranty. So i will try both new chips today after work and post the results here. The chips have versions 1.20 & 2.20 on them so hopefully the 1.20 will work.

Comment

no it wont void your warranty,all your doing as replacing the bios chip,they pull out anyway,its the same as updating/flashing the bios
                                Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                                Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                                Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                                1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                                1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                                Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                                Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                                K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                                L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                                Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                                Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X