Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios Update Disaster HELP PLEASE.

Hi Guys First Post,
    I was having problems with boot loops and windows not seeing my Logitech G15 Keyboard, so after doing some research i decided to update the Bios on my Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 motherboard to the 2.20 update,

All looked good, booted in to bios, selected Instant Flash, it found my FAT32 formatted USB pen drive with the 2.20 update on, i clicked on the update and it started flashing the board, when finished it said (update successful) please press any key to re start.

But when it booted back into the bios, the resolution was way too big for the monitor Aprox 4 times too big, and i also get 5 short post beeps, which i believe is Processor error.

Also DR Debug shows d4 (no console output devices found) as the 5 beeps are being produced.

Any ideas as to what i can do to correct this problem, i am desperate for some advice.

Re: Bios Update Disaster HELP PLEASE.

Switch off the PC. Remove power cord.Clear the CMOS. short the jumpers or remove the battery
    Speed is the limit

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Babdi, but i have tries all those options with no luck, it still boots too big, and with 5 beeps.

Comment

Did you try re-flashing the BIOS
        Speed is the limit

Comment

Originally posted by Babdi View Post
          Did you try re-flashing the BIOS

yes i tried re-flashing the 2.20 bios.

should i try flashing it back to the 2.10 bios or would that brick the board?

Comment

you should be able to flash back to your old bios without issue
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
              you should be able to flash back to your old bios without issue
              Mmmm not sure about that ( SHOULD be able to )

It says on the Asrock site Please only flash newer versions of BIOS in the future.

Comment

you can on gigabyte boards,you can flash back and forth,i cant see why asrock would be any different,worst case of bricking bios means all you have to do is pull bios chip out and order one off ebay and plug back in but it should work fine,it wont let you flash if its not meant to
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Aah never new that bud, i will give it a go and report back. cheers

Comment

you can on gigabyte boards,you can flash back and forth,i cant see why asrock would be any different,worst case of bricking bios means all you have to do is pull bios chip out and order one off ebay and plug back in but it should work fine,it wont let you flash if its not meant to
                    More problems. .grrrrrrrr
                    It looks like my board had the P1.00-15 bios on it before i flashed it and there was no option to save the original bios file in the bios INSTANT FLASH utillity and i cannot find that bios file anywhere on the net so now what?
                    Last edited by soundesciple; 08-18-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Hi there,

Contact Asrock emily via this forum - send her a pm, and I am sure she will sort it out for you. I had to replace my bios chip for similar issues when flashing to latest bios.
                      Sadly you cannot go back to earlier bios - but this has all the signs of a bad flash despite it telling you otherwise. Good luck.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by tipes View Post
                        Hi there,

Contact Asrock emily via this forum - send her a pm, and I am sure she will sort it out for you. I had to replace my bios chip for similar issues when flashing to latest bios.
                        Sadly you cannot go back to earlier bios - but this has all the signs of a bad flash despite it telling you otherwise. Good luck.

Mark
                        Thanks for that, PM sent.

Can you go back to an earlier bios if you are replacing the chip with an earlier bios on it?
                        and not just Flashing the old chip.
                        Last edited by soundesciple; 08-19-2012, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tipes View Post
                          Hi there,

Mark
                          thanks for that,i didnt know you couldnt flash to prevoius bios's on asrock,to the op you can try reflashing the same bios again,maybe it didnt take fully? i do know that you can pull the bios chip and plug a new one with any bios version you want installed,it will run fine
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by soundesciple View Post
                            Thanks for that, PM sent.

Can you go back to an earlier bios if you are replacing the chip with an earlier bios on it?
                            and not just Flashing the old chip.
                            I am fairly sure you could go back to earlier bios with a replacement chip, but Asrock Emily should be able to send you a working latest bios.Maybe ask her too send you both
                            latest and whatever version last worked ok for you.

Mark

Comment

thanks for that,i didnt know you couldnt flash to prevoius bios's on asrock,to the op you can try reflashing the same bios again,maybe it didnt take fully? i do know that you can pull the bios chip and plug a new one with any bios version you want installed,it will run fine
                              Well it is not actually totally not possible, but involves hacking to make it work afaik. The problem seems to be that you cannot revert too earlier bios because of new microcode in the latest bios
                              to support ivybridge cpu which has diiferent method of controlling memory etc. I believe if you get a latest bios coded with microcode for sandybridge chip then all should be well. Hope I have explained ok.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X