No announcement yet.

Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS 2.03 Killed System!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS 2.03 Killed System!

Write to their support via website and don't bother us.

Comment

So Radier you don't think this forum is an appropriate place to share information about ASRock products?

LOL
      Last edited by Undermoose; 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

@ radier - tone it down, this is a user to user support forum. Noone is asking you to post here either. If you don't have anything useful to post then keep it to yourself, otherwise you can take the attitude elsewhere.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

So I ordered my I7-3770K today, and I noticed that the CPU's memory controller now supports 1600mhz natively. The Sandy Bridge CPU supports 1066/1333 and the Ivy Bridge 1333/1600. Perhaps this is the reason the BIOS is having issues with my 1600mhz ram. It's ready for a Native 1600mhz controller and can't properly differentiate between Sandy and Ivy... who knows. Hopefully all is well with the Ivy Bridge once I have it Tuesday.

Comment

Maybe try new ram, after getting the new bios and running through overclocking and stress testing I was able to pinpoint that one of my Dimms was bad. So I had purchased some really good 30nm ram from samsung. Uses less volts then other ram and gets insane clocks with still less then 1.5v that most ram require to get less. Here is the ram that I am using in question. Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics Extreme Low Voltage 30nm UDIMM 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM MV-3V4G3D/US: Electronics I ordered 2 kits for a total of 16gb and am running it at 9-9-9-24 2133 at 1.43volts already did 40 passes wtih IBT MAximum, and then did 24 hours prime stable. Thats at 4.5ghz.

Here is a forum with lots of more info on that ram. [Amazon] Samsung 2x4Gb Low Voltage DDR3 1600 kit for $47 (OCing to 2400) and Ultra low profile 1.35v 30nm DDR3 capable of 2400MHz. Perfect for SFF builds. I really think that if you got this ram all your problems would be solved!

Comment

It's not the RAM. The problem happened after the bios upgrade.

Comment

Well Like I mentioned before I did not realize that I had a bad stick of Ram until after the bios upgrade. I feel like the Bios unleached the full potential of the computer. Like before it was being a cripple and now its up and running at full speed. like it should have originally.

Comment

Yes, troubleshooting can be time consuming and difficult, but I know the difference between faulty memory and bios changes affecting system stability. It's like a switch, stable properly operating system and ram, change bios and unstable system... also my problem has also been experienced by others on this forum, so that's more evidence it's not a ram issue.

It is possible the changes make the ram incompatible with the motherboard, and that's a frustrating thought, but as I mentioned I believe the problem is due to memory controller architecture changes from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge.

My I7-3770K arrives tomorrow, I'm hoping all the problems go away.

Comment

Well the I7-3770K is installed, but have the same problems.

1. Instability booting, until it boots and then it's stable. When this happens I simply go into the BIOS and re-save a few settings and then the system will boot and keep a good boot state. If I try to tweak anything the BIOS gets very unstable and I end up trying to get it to just boot properly again.

2. Unable to use XMP or tweak anything other than AUTO. This system was rock solid until I flashed from 1.34 to 2.03, and then 2.04.

We need a better BIOS ASRock.

Comment

I'm install my I7 3770K , and I have the same problem as Undermoose ; I can't use XMP and my memory wouldn't run at 2133 , the only tweak is to stay on auto ...!
                      So we wait for something new from ASROCK.

Comment

Maybe you guys should PM "Emily" on this thread for a quicker response or perhaps "Ket" at this forum since he has connections with ASRock

**Official** Asrock Z68 Gen3 Extreme7 & Extreme4 thread - Page 27

In any event since stable systems vis a vis 'Sandy Bridge' under the old UEFI's worked and now under the new "beta" UEFI regardless if even the new 'Ivy Bridge' CPU is used or 'Sandy Bridge' CPU the systems are unstable as well as previously working XMP profiles no longer working...should raise caution flags until ASRock can produce a solid working UEFI that will work for both 'Sandy Bridge' as well as "Ivy Bridge'. Kinda hard to figure why? since OEM's get engineering samples months in advance as well as final versions weeks in advance why these "beta" UEFI's are problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Undermoose View Post
                          1. Instability booting, until it boots and then it's stable. When this happens I simply go into the BIOS and re-save a few settings and then the system will boot and keep a good boot state. If I try to tweak anything the BIOS gets very unstable and I end up trying to get it to just boot properly again.

2. Unable to use XMP or tweak anything other than AUTO. This system was rock solid until I flashed from 1.34 to 2.03, and then 2.04.

We need a better BIOS ASRock.
                          Very similar problems with Sandy Bridge and Extreme4 Gen3. Memory and oc related settings must be on auto or booting is very problematic. With bios 1.XX, manual overclocking and memory settings works very well and stable. I have plans to acquire ivy bridge, but I might have to be patience until the bios is surely working. Now it is far from stable.

Comment

Emily has already been contacted.

They asked for my memory to be sent to them or they will not be able to help.

I've started a thread at Mushkin.com forum asking them to send ASRock their memory for testing.

Mushkin Enhanced Forums • View topic - Mushkin Redline 996999 Was working great until BIOS upgrade

Mushkin said they have ASRock contact info, and asked me to continue troubleshooting.

Given other people are experiencing similar problems, I'm not inclined to put my energy into this.

I ask ASRock to step up and fix their issue, and work with Mushkin directly if they need samples.

Ivy Bridge is released, how about an official BIOS release to support it.
                            Last edited by Undermoose; 05-03-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Undermoose View Post
                              That's pretty standard Radier, I agree.

I'm working with Emily from ASRock. They are very helpful.

It's a new BIOS so it'll take a little time to work out issues, I just wish I noticed the part about "you can't flash back to the old bios" before I flashed it, ouch...
                              I managed to flash back to v1.70 from v2.10 on my Pro3-M mobo.
                              All seemed well after merely restarting the system following the update.
                              I had been experiencing post problems after the UEFI update following a complete Shutdown.
                              System would only post after unplugging from mains & resetting bios. Once I'd done that I could enter
                              bios, configure & start windows.
                              Fortunately, I had saved a copy of the 1.70 (WIN) bios which allowed me to revert to previous bios.
                              All appears OK after a complete CMOS reset.

Comment

New UEFI seems to work like a charm:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 - updated - Minus

No problem with XMP, boot, OC or anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X