No announcement yet.

Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS 2.03 Killed System!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS 2.03 Killed System!

Exteme7 Gen3. I installed BIOS 2.03 to prep for Ivy Bridge.

System would no longer work with XMP profile, it would go dead, click, power up, do that again two more times, then post the BIOS screen and if I entered the bios the memory would be at the defaults. Definately not recognizing the profile.

So using dram settings on auto I'd get a normal bios post, it would try to start windows 7 64bit, but just hang at the splash screen "starting windows". Done deal.

Can't flash back to previous BIOS, system dead until I get an updated BIOS apparently.

Re: Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS 2.03 Killed System!

So I'm up and running...

Can't touch memory settings or system goes through the failsafe boot process 3 times and then reverts to a bootable bios config. So XMP is not working for my 4 x 4gb Mushkin Redline memory which has been working flawlessly on this mobo since inception via XMP until this new BIOS.

I think disabling Intel Smart Connect Technology is what finally made the system bootable again, not sure, and not willing to play around at the moment. The PC boots consistently now.

New BIOS version please!

Comment

Where did you get this bios? I have same motherboard and would like a newer Bios. The one I have now can not cold boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron G Ring View Post
        Where did you get this bios?
        From ASRock website?

ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 > Download

Comment

Thanks you I was using google to no advil!

Comment

Wow! after having this bios for a little over an hour I am so impressed, omg its like having a totally differrent computer! I have been able to lower volts and cold boot on almost anything. PS my XMP profiles work perfect I have 1.2version if that has anything to do with it. This is the best bios i have used yet and has greatly restored my faith back in Asrock! if they keep this up then my next motherboard purchase will defiantly be another Asrock! i am so stoked overclocking just got fun again!

Comment

Not me, 4 x 4gb Mushkin Redline, which used to be flawless using its XMP 1.2 profile, will only post on auto now :(

I also use EFI boot to a 4 x 2TB raid 10 array (3.6TB usable array) being Sandy Bridge cached by an OCZ Vertex 3 60gb SSD.

Intel 2600K CPU
              3 Asus 6970 vid cards
              Antec HCP 1200 PSU

It's booting now, but auto mem config leaves me at 1333mhz and 9-9-9-24 timings :(, a far cry from XMP 7-8-7-24 1.65v 1600mhz.

Comment

Pretty confident at this point the new bios (2.03) really hates my ram :(

Worked flawlessly with 1.34 for months with XMP 1.2 profile...

I just spent the last hour trying all sorts of things to get the PC to boot with memory's specs of 7-8-7-24 CR2 1.65v 1600mhz... nada

In fact it went from bad to worse, the PC stopped booting entirely on auto. I had to set the timings to 9-9-9-24 manually and the PC boots again :(

Help Asrock! I realize the memory isn't on your supported list, but I've been using Mushkin ram for years and have faith in their product. It did work perfectly on the old bios...

Is there a way to revert to 1.34 BIOS? or can you send me an updated BIOS?

Thank you.

Comment

Did you updated Intel ME software after flashing this new UEFI ?

Comment

Yes

It's not a software issue though.

Trying to use XMP or manually setting the dram configuration results in the same system boot failure at the BIOS post. It power cycles 3 times, making a clicking noise, then apprently reverts to bios defaults, posts, but comes up with the bios warning message that the system failed to boot, press F2 to enter system configuration or the UEFI will continue to post.

This is what happens when you have a bad bios configuration and the BIOS boot failure protection option is enabled (a good thing). It's usually needed by overclockers who push the limits beyond what the mobo can handle. In my case CPU & Memory speeds & voltages are not overclocked.

It's seems a new compatibility issue with my 4 x 4gb Mushkin Redline model 996999 ddr3-1600mhz 7-8-7-24 dram. This memory was tested and worked flawlessly with all previous bios versions, set XMP and forget, but now I can barely get the machine to boot with it at 9-9-9-24 @ 1333mhz.
                    Last edited by Undermoose; 04-20-2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Disconnect your A/C from your power supply and move the clear CMOS jumper per the manual then remove all of your "sticks" except 1 in the appropriate slot then on powerup hit the clear CMOS button and then with the last known good working UEFI/BIOS on a USB stick enter the UEFI/BIOS immediately and try flashing it. If you succeeed in flashing backwards then hit the CMOS clear button and shut down and plug the rest of your RAM back in then obviously on powerup re-enter the UEFI/BIOS and set your XMP profile and whatever mods you had before save and exit and boot into windows. If that fails then most likely tour only choice will be to order a new CMOS chip (eprom) from Badflash.com

I am guessing that the reason this new UEFI/BIOS is so volatile as you already have to have the Ivy Bridge CPU installed before flashing to it. Since it would seem that this UEFI/BIOS was designed only for Ivy Bridge CPU's

"To support Intel's next generation 22nm CPU, corresponding BIOS, drivers, and AXTU update are required."

Please post back and let us know how you make out
                      Last edited by SaphireX; 04-20-2012, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaphireX View Post
                        I am guessing that the reason this new UEFI/BIOS is so volatile as you already have to have the Ivy Bridge CPU installed before flashing to it.
                        Without flashing this new UEFI prior to installation of Ivy Bridge CPU the system wouldn't boot at all.

Originally posted by SaphireX View Post
                        Since it would seem that this UEFI/BIOS was designed only for Ivy Bridge CPU's
                        It's backward compatible with Sandy Bridge. It only adds Ivy Bridge support.

Comment

That's pretty standard Radier, I agree.

I'm working with Emily from ASRock. They are very helpful.

It's a new BIOS so it'll take a little time to work out issues, I just wish I noticed the part about "you can't flash back to the old bios" before I flashed it, ouch...

Comment

Be warned, if your ram isn't supported ASRock will start telling you to try memory tweaks, voltage, etc..

I'm not willing to do this, I like running everything stock speeds/voltages.

Looks like I'm going to have to hope ASRock fixes their BIOS or buy another motherboard.

Hopefully I can indeed flash back to 1.34, this memory is perfect, and have had rock solid system stability until now :(.

Comment

Nowhere in the "beta" UEFI/BIOS page that now is Synchronizing Web Servver" did it say that it was backwards compatiblle with Sandy Bridge So I would like to know where Radier is quoting from? - I find it hard to believe that with an Ivy Bridge CPU already installed that the system would not at the very least boot into the UEFI so you could flash to the Ivy Bridge UEFI?

Undermoose http://badflash.com/ can send you what UEFI/BIOS you want flashed CMOS chip far less than replacing the board...
                              Last edited by SaphireX; 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X