No announcement yet.

Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS 2.03 Killed System!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme7 Gen3 BIOS 2.03 Killed System!

SapphireX it's pretty standard stuff across all motherboards, newer bios for new CPUs add the support and are backwards compatible for all older supported CPUs.

Te badflash option isa good suggestion, but I'm hoping I can work around this in some way. I can in fact flash back to 1.34 but get a HECI error, whatever that is, so flashed back to 2.03 and limping along at slower mem speeds...
    Last edited by Undermoose; 04-20-2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Everything work fine with this new beta Bios , graphics looking much better , and XMP work without problem with G Skill F3-17000CL9-2GBXL.

Comment

You can't say everything is working fine, it's working ok for your config.

Beware, if I had a problem, other people will too!

Comment

Unless its user error...

Comment

James22, not a very constructive reply, but you know that.

In my case, it's not user error. It's pretty hard to error when using default settings and built-in XMP profiles.

These exact settings worked flawlessly on earlier BIOS versions.

Comment

I update from the last beta bios L1.30 and not from normal bios 1.30 , your problem came perhaps from that ...! And I just see that Asrock remove the last beta bios from the download page . I hope you will find answer to your problem !
              Last edited by gti1; 04-24-2012, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Looks like they did pull the Beta Code. All of the bios versions, not just the 2.03....

Comment

I agree it usually standard stuff for an updated UEFI/BIOS to be backwards compatible...However when the "beta" UEFI/BIOS page did exist it was clearly in RED ink that it was for the Ivy Bridge CPU and conspicuously absent from the disclaimer was any mention of backwards Sandy Bridge compatibility and as you discovered it looks like there is no going back esp if you installed the new "beta" chipset drivers ect ect...unless you replace the BIOS chip and most likely wipe your install and do a fresh one...I suspect that in order to make the Ivy Bridge CPU work with Gen3 boards that the CPU microcode has been re-written and thus the possibility for missing backwards compatibility CPU microcode and that would affect how your memory is handled and now why? the XMP profile no longer works for you and other puzzle-ing issues... My other rig is a nForce 780i and believe me there was very few BIOS upgrades that were worth taking the risk for...

Originally posted by Undermoose View Post
                  SapphireX it's pretty standard stuff across all motherboards, newer bios for new CPUs add the support and are backwards compatible for all older supported CPUs.

Te badflash option isa good suggestion, but I'm hoping I can work around this in some way. I can in fact flash back to 1.34 but get a HECI error, whatever that is, so flashed back to 2.03 and limping along at slower mem speeds...

Comment

A little bit of the O'l over analyze and guesswork there mate.

I just saw, to support Ivy Bridge and plan to buy one. As for my issues, looks like it's just memory...

It's beta, oh well... And they yanked all the files.... But the last 3 versions of their bios have been beta and needed to use 1.34 or had issues.

Clearly ASRock has issues with bios's, but are responsive generally.

Comment

Asrock just put a new beta bios in ligne L2.04 !

Comment

I just flash with new beta bios L2.04 , and everything seem to work fine .

Comment

Originally posted by Undermoose View Post
                          Yes

It's not a software issue though.

Trying to use XMP or manually setting the dram configuration results in the same system boot failure at the BIOS post. It power cycles 3 times, making a clicking noise, then apprently reverts to bios defaults, posts, but comes up with the bios warning message that the system failed to boot, press F2 to enter system configuration or the UEFI will continue to post.

This is what happens when you have a bad bios configuration and the BIOS boot failure protection option is enabled (a good thing). It's usually needed by overclockers who push the limits beyond what the mobo can handle. In my case CPU & Memory speeds & voltages are not overclocked.

It's seems a new compatibility issue with my 4 x 4gb Mushkin Redline model 996999 ddr3-1600mhz 7-8-7-24 dram. This memory was tested and worked flawlessly with all previous bios versions, set XMP and forget, but now I can barely get the machine to boot with it at 9-9-9-24 @ 1333mhz.
                          Same Issue with memory and 2.04 memory wont work on XMP profile and manual setting same thing. ALso I can't boot into windows read my other thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...-04-issue.html

Comment

Yup I still have the problem with 2.04 too, glad to hear other people are experiencing these problems. "Misery loves company". I'm not alone!
                            Last edited by Undermoose; 04-27-2012, 07:53 AM.

Comment

So you shouldn't touch it unless you were planning to swap for Ivy Bridge CPU.

Comment

That's the plan. Ivy Bridge, PCIe-3.0, and AMD 7990.

Fix the BIOS please ASRock!

Comment

Working...
                                X