WinXP Tweaking Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by syx
    Can i get a printable version of those guides??
    there should be a big blue 'print' at the top of the page

Comment

• I've updated the Virtual Memory/Pagefile advice in my WinXP: Reformat to Relax guide on this page. I recommend people revise their Virtual Memory settings based on this advice, as it's critical to getting the best trouble-free performance from recent games like Far Cry, UT2004 etc.
      My Machine

Comment

• Hi there,

First of all I would like to say thanks for these awesome guides, I've learned (and implemented) alot from them.

I just want to point out that the Cacheman authors now offer CachemanXP, which includes alot more options and tweaks over the original Cacheman. Plus, it can run in your system tray, monitoring and optimizing RAM on the fly, with no visible effect on resources usage.

The only issue is that in order to use the automatic optimization feature, you have to register... but if you know what you're doing, it's much more flexible and useful than the original Cacheman IMHO.

Comment

• i would like to ad something: i really recommed using tweak xp pro 3 (or if there's a newer version the newer one)
          its a trial wich expires after 30 uses, but i never ever had to use it that many times :D :D :D
          so basicly i find it freeware
          although i'm a hardcore tweaker, i dont know what the videocard and cpu optimization/optimisation does, but it makes a +100 points difference in aquarmark, so i would say: use it! :twisted:

Comment

• This looks awesome, I'm going to have a read... i love tweaks |-). There is just so many hidden features locked away in XP.

Has anyone ever encountered the disability keys ? i.e. tapping the right shift button five times, ot holding down the right shift button for 8 seconds. What happens is that it can lock your keyboard into caps lock, or lock your shift button.... i remember once, i got it into such a mess, I couldn't get out of it !! It was a complete nightmare, i spent a good 30 mins in frustration !

Comment

• Re: WinXP Tweaking Guides

Great read, but one thing I noticed - There is actually a M$DN paper on XP (pro) Performace, in which they 'state' that Boot Vis has actually been intergrated into the boot process. When installing Win XP, Boot vis is activated on the 3rd reboot.
              Boot Vis works wonders on 2K :)
              Another interesting thing they mentioned, is that it is best to try to have one partiton on the HDD, as XP will move the most used data to the outside of the disk (every 30 days, or something), supposedly reducing the seek time. My XP PC takes 31secs to boot to the login sceen. Barely enough time to roll a ciggy. (Yeah, I timed it...just call me Luser :)

Check out the links:
              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...te/xpperf.mspx
              http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...t/default.mspx
              Last edited by f1r3f0g; 08-16-2004, 05:27 AM. Reason: Bad england.

Comment

Hey, I am a new user to this site and I loved your Tweak Guide. "Work of Art."

Just one problem I am having after I tried your Tweak Guide PersianImmortal. I know you must have gotten a lot people with problems they may have encountered after they tried the Tweak Guide but you might find my problem unique.

Everytime when I download something which is going at 360kbps or at my max cable speed, my computer goes really slow. Almost like all my resources are being taking from my computer and distributed to the download. Other than that my computer runs perfectly.

-This problem below is not because of the Tweak Guide, just one other problem I am having. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.-
                There are the occassions where my computer runs very very slow after I quit from a game like FarCry or Doom3. If anyone has any suggestion to what I can do about this problem please reply back.

If its not too much trouble, please give give me your expertise on how I can resolve this computer slow down having to do with downloading as stated above. I'd be very much appreciated if you can help me with this problem. Thanks

Comment

The first guide i found to be the most useful. the second is all about taste. Both are very through...great guides!
                  - Damien

Comment

i have winxp and lately it seems to alway restart after a few mins by itself does any1 know whats wrong and how to fix it?

thx

Comment

Working...
                    X