WinXP Tweaking Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI

I would just love to send my thanks and appreciation for your work. Its quite comprehensive and most of all effective.

One question that i would like to know is.
    Have you ever worked for microsoft or were you just some sort of programmer? Im just amazed at how much of the registry you know :P

Thanks again mate.

Comment

• Yes i did all that was in this guide, i am now doing the second one, but i was wondering. when my computer starts i have to hit enter to get into windows, or it takes 10-15 seconds on its own. i took off the user login and stuff, but i have to hit enter, for it to load as soojn as the background loads. please help

i will included system specs:
      Windows Xp Pro
      Athlon Xp 2100+
      Geforce 4 ti 4800 8 agp
      Asus A7V333

i use system mechanic to customize the start up, but i am sure that iption is not in there,

please help

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words. I've never worked for Microsoft, nor am I a programmer or professional IT worker of any kind. I'm actually an Economist by training :)

I just have an intuitive feel for all things computers due to my interest in them, and the trick to writing these guides is to research a lot of information from the net, follow hunches I have about the way something works, and not be afraid to experiment a little. I don't pretend for a moment to have concocted all of this stuff off the top of my head :thumb:
        My Machine

Comment

• None of the tweaks should do that. The only thing I can think of is you should check under:

Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery and untick the "Time to display list of operating systems" box.

Control>Panel>System>Hardware>Hardware Profiles choose the "Select the first profile..." option and set the time to 0.

I have no idea what System mechanic is but that sounds like another culprit. Undo what it changed if you can.
          My Machine

Comment

• Wow, man your intuition has proven worthy of a programmer or windows analyst :P

I was just amazed, as to see subdirectories in the REGEDIT that spanned for ages.

When i was following the guide, especially when trying to find the key within approximately seven subdivisions was crazy.

Thanks again and keep on doing what your doing.

Thanks mate :D

Comment

• After having installed the windows XP Service Pack 1 I can't install any more updates from the microsoft website! What do I have to do?

Comment

• 1) You used any tweak guide?
                2) What is the error you are getting at the time of installing updates?
                3) Are you getting an error at the time of installation updates or are you not able to see any updates after scanning?
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

• Originally posted by asklepios
                  1) You used any tweak guide?
                  2) What is the error you are getting at the time of installing updates?
                  3) Are you getting an error at the time of installation updates or are you not able to see any updates after scanning?
                  1: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=350&dPage=1
                  I click "WINDOWS UPDATE" then I click "search for updates" -> 0% ->
                  2: Couldn't control product identification. The product identification, used to install windows, is not valid
                  3: Not able to see any updates...

Excuse me for my English but I'm Dutch... (I live in Begium) ;)

Comment

• Let me ask this: do you own a legitimate copy of WindowsXP?

If you don't then Windows Update may not work after SP1 and we're not going to offer any solutions here.

If you do, then read my 2nd XP guide and look at the page relating to Windows Update for fixes.
                    My Machine

Comment

• Originally posted by PersianImmortal
                      Let me ask this: do you own a legitimate copy of WindowsXP?

If you don't then Windows Update may not work after SP1 and we're not going to offer any solutions here.

If you do, then read my 2nd XP guide and look at the page relating to Windows Update for fixes.
                      No legitimate copy. That's why I used the guide... Can't I just change the product-key again to the original one?

Comment

• Originally posted by T3RM1N4T0R
                        No legitimate copy. That's why I used the guide... Can't I just change the product-key again to the original one?
                        did you happen to read the sticky at the top of this forum? (now just under this sticky thread) we wont discuss piracy here.

Comment

• Alright, I've had great success with the Reformat ro Relax in the past...but on my new system its created a huge amount of problems. They seemed to start once I tried to run BootVis, but there could have been problems introduced with some of the registry edits I did that just weren't being shown yet. Anyways, this is some of the stuff I am getting:

1) Windows successfully loads only about 1/3 of the time, usually it just hangs on the Windows XP title screen.

2) Last time it loaded successfuly, Windows Explorer had an error and had to be shut down immediately following boot-up last time.

3) I have gotten a couple BSOD as well.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Comment

• Well i dit not do all the things u said in your turtorial
                            (im a big noob)
                            but what i dit works and my system is faster.
                            so thanks fore it.

PS.
                            Is there a printable version of these 3

WinXP Tweaking 1 and 2
                            and
                            American Army Tweakguide
                            if so where can i find it

PS 2
                            Whis all of you a nice Cristmas and a Healthy 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by minibubba
                              did you happen to read the sticky at the top of this forum? (now just under this sticky thread) we wont discuss piracy here.
                              So why do you make a tutorial for how to install a service pack for a not legal version of Windows XP?!

Comment

• we have had enough of that discussion already. read more in this thread...

now either abide or...
                                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                                Last Updated:
                                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                                ======================
                                jabber : [email protected]
                                =======================
                                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                                yabaa dabaa doo...
                                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                                X