No announcement yet.

Lindows law suits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my apologies, i will try harder to be good here.

Comment

no worries...i don't think he would mind small things like that :cheers:
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I guess I am supposed to be afraid now of the windowz name or is that winblows? or oh whatever I really think they should name it massivesoft and jail-cells insted of microcrap windows....lol and what do you mean gazing out of a transparent viewing panel? ...my monitor?

Comment

HP and Microsoft appear to be merging. What do you think guys? Could be they are a tad worried about radical Lindows users and those anarchist manucturers like IBM.

i need help cuz windows calculator keeps crashing. is crap + crap still crap.

Comment

Originally posted by C_deck
            i need help cuz windows calculator keeps crashing. is crap + crap still crap.
            it sure is :laugh:

about HP and MS joining hands...well that doesn't sound too gud to me. though IBM will keep kicking them where it hurts by giving linux as an OS on its machines but in anycase we can't deny that MS + HP = something big (if that is true ofcourse).
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            =======================
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I respected both companies at one time but not anymore. Microsoft and HP will never blow away. All we can do for our part is to ensure fair competition by buying the smaller guys products.

Unfortunately, M$ will be around until we can develop a quantum torpedo to take Billy's corp out cleanly, and be environmentally safe in doing so.

Comment

Well, I am not one to judge. I like MS Windows and at the same time I hate it. I don't fault them for making money. ALL companies have to do that or cease to exist. MS has provided a platform for millions of users of computers world wide, and have brought home computing to new levels. Between them and Apple, they have opend the provervial doors of other software makers to create a general public goods and services. If there were no Microsoft, there would probably be no tweaktown.

Not saying tweaktown cannot run on a Linux Red Hat server with Appache software.. probably does. However, the main crux of why Tweaktown is, is their insights and "tweaks" into different settings of your computer. The games are written for Windows XP. There is a lot of video cards, manufacutred to go along with those games.. Motherboard manufactures build and design to enhance the gamming community.

If there had been no Microsoft.. ponder what would be in place at this very moment in time. One change in history, sure can cause a lot of different outcomes years later.

BTW.. I have Mandrake 9.0 on my computer, and my wife and daughters.. we multiboot. We like it fine, but do 99% of what we do in Windows.

Comment

Lindows is just another linux distro right?

what's so special about it?

Comment

Yup, thats right, nothing Special about it.

And I must say that I am shocked by the amount of BS non-sense going on in this thread.

1.) MS IS NOT BUYING HP

2.) HP and IBM are NOT promoting Linux to the average home computer user.

3.) The Tide is NOT turning towards Linux in the home PC market.

4.) MS is NOT going to be a shell of itself in 5 years.

5.) Microsoft is RIGHT to go after 'lindows' because it is a clear pun of their corporate name. Lindows isn't a word, it is blatently a combination of Linux and Windows. Any company would go after another company for a ploy on their name, ESPECIALLY if the other company is making similar products. (OS's in this case) And the very correct reasoning is that people might assume that this is Microsoft's version of Linux, in which case, Lindows would be gaining unfair publicity.

Would it be fair for a Japanese car company to start selling cars and trucks under the name "Fords" ? No, absolutly not, and FORD would be able to take legal action against them.

=========

The computer world would be a very pathetic place had MS not come to be in the early 80's. MS has been instrumental in convinceing all these random computer companies to adopt STANDARDS. Some of the standards were even designed by MS at no direct profit. If every PC company was as ignorant as Apple, we would have a world of 10 PC brands, each one as different as PC and Macs were in 1990. AND THEY WERE DIFFERENT. Macs have since given in to the capitalistic pressure (by simply needing to stay in business) and are now basically a PC company with their own OS and processor.

My point is that Microsoft has done an unmeasureable amount of good that is unseen by you and 99+% of the public. The web would be NOTHING like it is, without MS's help.

EVEN IN 1985, IBM, the Supreme computer power of the world, STILL THOUGHT that PC's were a FAD, and that 5 Million Dollars was WAY TOO MUCH to pay for Microsoft. The biggest financial blunder of the century, coming from the foremost expert in the field, at the time

WIRED Magazine (12$ per year-I highly reccommend) recently had their 10 year anniversary.... They did a special edition of their magazine which included a 10 year timeline with famous quotes that either were horribly wrong, or dead on. Bill Gates was the only guy quoted multiple times who was EXACTLY on target with ALL his predictions. It is no fluke this guy dominates the market.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul

2.) HP and IBM are NOT promoting Linux to the average home computer user.

IBM might not be putting linux on their home PCs, but it is going on the servers

MILLIONS of people have switched completely, or at least started using linux in just the past couple years, the number of people that switch every year is stagering

M$ has done some good, but they have also done things that they should be condemed for

Comment

Zeradul is pretty much right on the money. I am sure there are some things Microsoft could have done a little more diplomatically at the time, but did not. Just like I'm sure that people that buy the software DVD2ONE or DVD95COPY to trancode decrypted DVD movies on t heir hard drive to a format suitable for burning onto dVD,... actually don't own all the movies they copy, but rather rent or get them from friends.

AMD and Intel are creating processors , chipset manufacturers are designing new North and South Bridges, Video card manufactures are creating new GPU's, and internal DVD and CD RW drives are being created... to be within compaibilites of Windows. Linux sometimes has to scratch around and rebuild kernels or write scripts that support some of these newere changes in hardware. Not knocking Linux, it's just the first and foremost thought in Nvidia, AMD, Intel, ATI, Creative, etc etc's mind was probably Windows or Microsfoft and yes.. let's also build some code for Linux and SCO Unix and Novell when we get done.

I believe, one of the very reasons that make Linux so powerful, may also be their achilles heel. It's thier files system and mounting process. Linux is a great and powerful operating system very powerful and very hard to crack for hackers, viruses, etc.. but, it is fragile.

Our SCO UNIX servers, where I work, are constantly attached to APS battery backups and are instructed that in the event of a loss of regular power for more than 7 seconds, that they will go through their "shut down" proceedure. Period.

My 9 year old daughter is learning after I had to re-install her Linux on her computer .. again, that you simply cannot just "Push the off button" to get out of Linux. You must start the process of unloading all things necessary before the computer can power down. In the event of a lightning storm and power outages, Linux is more prone to data loss, and file corruption than is Windows. You can just shut down the power on the Windows OS, but it is not too wise on the Linux OS.

That is their weakness. For the computer to come loaded for Linux for a home user that may have never been too much exposed to a computer before, the chances are greater that the computer will be subject to sudden power loss....either voluntarilly or involuntarilly. ;) Also, the "familiarity" with the Linux system from those that use Windows may seem pretty obtrusive as well.

just my 2 cents worth..:2cents:

Comment

Yup, thats right, nothing Special about it.
                          And I must say that I am shocked by the amount of BS non-sense going on in this thread.

1.) MS IS NOT BUYING HP . --- No one said anything about a buy.

2.) HP and IBM are NOT promoting Linux to the average home computer user. --- Oh?? yes IBM will be

3.) The Tide is NOT turning towards Linux in the home PC market. --- Oh, maybe not in USA but check out what is happening in the rest of the world.

4.) MS is NOT going to be a shell of itself in 5 years. --- Lets see, how many losing divisions supported by two profitable divisions and the competition is giving theirs away free. tit-for-tat

5.) Microsoft is RIGHT to go after 'lindows' because it is a clear pun of their corporate name. ---- Windows name is not solely MS's. Do you think MS invented it?

The computer world would be a very pathetic place had MS not come to be in the early 80's. --- I guess that MIT professor back in 1981 was wrong was he when his report stated that IBM and Micro os would set the industry back 15-20 years??

My point is that Microsoft has done an unmeasureable amount of good that is unseen by you and 99+% of the public. --- Maybe they did at one time but 18 years to come up with a functioning os is ridiculous. Windows is a house of cards for an upgrade price of $450 CDN and an additional $200/annum for JohnQ to maintain it from the local computer shop. How much does a corporation pay per MS station?

The web would be NOTHING like it is, without MS's help... --- I remember MS being a late comer into the web and was well in motion before MS's involvement. The web would have evolved to its current state, with or without IE. What makes you think that it would not have?

These are the current trends. Believe what you will.Answer me this, if windows is so great, why did mr. bill license the unix kernel?

Comment

Windows IS a registered trademark name belonging to Microsoft Corporation. Look closely at the Windows end some time just before the 98 or the ME or the XP etc. I work for a winery in Michigan and we just sent off for registration of the name "Lakeshore" as in protecting our name of Lakeshore Sunset, Lakeshore Red and Lakeshore White. We definetly did not invent a lakeshore. There was a grape developed at Cornell in New York and named by them recently as "Abundance" they sent out letters to all stating DO NOT USE this name "Abundance" as there is a vineyard in California with that name that have sued for stopping the use of this grape's name as association with their vineyard's name.

" I guess that MIT professor back in 1981 was wrong was he when his report stated that IBM and Micro os would set the industry back 15-20 years??".... Yes he was wrong.

"Maybe they did at one time but 18 years to come up with a functioning os is ridiculous. Windows is a house of cards for an upgrade price of $450 CDN and an additional $200/annum for JohnQ to maintain it from the local computer shop. How much does a corporation pay per MS station? " Our winery went to Windows XP on 7 of it's computers. Cost was under $700.00 We have not had to pay for any extras for additional licensing. However, we also run 2 UNIX servers and paid in the neighboorhood of $7,000 for that license. Updates were quite expensive.

"The web would have evolved to its current state, with or without IE. What makes you think that it would not have?" .... Well, the web at the time of development was expanding without much fanfare in the way of Windows and their graphical User Interface. Websites have developed, using Java (SUN Microsystem) some virtual machine (Microsoft) and a lot of different Linux software. But, the spark was the interest of the general public in the ease of connecting to, ease of using, and ease of understanding their computer "ways" without learning command line prompts. Linux has their Xwindows system that provides a GUI and works quite well. I'm not saying that the web would not develop, I just belive, that with the ease of the MS operating system, their web developments, their user enhancements with video, audio, etc. that the current web would not be as well "expanded" as it currently is.

:2cents:

Comment

www. we can thank that kid who created netscape more than ms. it wasn't MS's gui that sparked the public's interest but the lower cost of more powerful comps. there have been shells around for over twenty years that would have eased the public's burden from the os. a gui is simply a shell based on high school vector geometry and was placed on comps with more performance than was previously possible. the gui was around before MS was a broken condom and it is not rocket science.

MS is simply a marketing company whose monopolistic practices are stiffulling development. i see very little in their os that hasn't been done before and done better. why did MS license the unix kernel? mr. bill can see the trend.

the only current advantage MS has now is gaming capability. europe appears serious about dumping ms. maybe they will address the issue or maybe apple will. i do know one thing, nearly everyone is tired of security holes and randomly crashing comps.

Comment

4.) MS is NOT going to be a shell of itself in 5 years.
                                if i remember correctly one part of US government or may be some US state is changing its complete official set up over to linux just cos they are pissed off with M$...but i could be wrong...:?:
                                Last Updated:
                                10th MARCH

======================
                                =======================
                                yabaa dabaa doo...
                                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                                X