Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a pc so sims 2 can run smoothly..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a pc so sims 2 can run smoothly..

I want to build a pc that will make my sims 2 run smoothly.
    Current specs:256 ram
    64mb geforce 2
    1.7ghz
    Thats all i can thiunk of now.Can you guys tell me what i should get and the prices?(AUS).thanks

Re: Buying a pc so sims 2 can run smoothly..

How much are you willing to spend on this upgrade?

Comment

No more than $500.

Comment

What is the socket type, and what is your processor, AMD or INTEL. Also If you know the model numbers of your motherboard, that would be nice aswell. We can help you a little better if we know thses things.

Comment

If we had some more information about your processor and motherboard, we could tell you how feasible an upgrade of those would be (rather than replacing the system altogether). More RAM is going to be necessary, and you'll probably want a faster processor.

Regardless, a 128MB Radeo 9550-9600 Pro would most likely work and would run the game well. It would also leave enough of your budget to upgrade the other parts. Depending on the other parts, somethng more expensive, such as a Radeon 9800 Pro or GeForce 6600GT, would be better.

We'll need to know more about you processor and motherboard. Grab CPU-Z from my signature and get the exact processor, the speed and brand of the RAM, the model of the mainboard and/or the chipset. All of this can be found in the CPU, Memory, and Mainboard tabs within the program.
          Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-18-2004, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I have an INTEL processor and tell me how i can check all those things?

Comment

First thing that comes to my mind, and would be the cheapest upgrade would be more memory. 256 hardly cuts it anymore. 1.7 mhz should run the game and your card should handle it also

Comment

Use CPU-Z like Yawgm0th said and use the CPU, Mainboard and Memory tabs and read what you see or take a screen shot.

Comment

Originally posted by kgburns
                  First thing that comes to my mind, and would be the cheapest upgrade would be more memory. 256 hardly cuts it anymore. 1.7 mhz should run the game and your card should handle it also
                  Not really. A 1.7GHz processor won't do, especially if it's a Celeron (which I'm guessing, but they also had a 1.7GHz full Willamette P4). My P4 2.0A with 768MB of RAM and a 9800 Pro plays the game smoothly for the most part, though loading times are suprisingly long sometimes. A GeForce 2 on a much weaker processor (and any 1.7GHz Intel is much weaker than a 2.0A) won't handle it well. A low-end Pentium 4 upgrade is probably in line for this system, and you'll almost certainly be limited to 533MHz CPUs. Maybe a 2.26 or 2.4A P4 would be appropriate for this price range, but I'll still have to see the CPU-Z stuff. Of course, an all-out board replacement isn't out of the question.

The card will have some trouble, too. The game is more CPU-dependant, but a weak GPU like that will hold you back. I would suggest a Radeon 9550/9600 at the least.

At least another 256MB of RAM will be needed, with 512MB or more being preferable.
                  Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-19-2004, 06:47 PM.

Comment

It takes a heck of a rig to run Sims2 smoothly, amazing enough. My 2.4 @ 3.1Ghz (258FSB) runs it decent but there is still room for improvement. If you don't know how to find out your mobo type and what your CPU is...you have no business even considering upgrading your own PC yet.

Comment

I think its choppy by nature...I played it and I can run Hl2 smoothyl on all high, sims 2 chugged.
                      Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Comment

There's a lot more processing going on in Sims 2, that's all. It still make use of powerful video cards, but it tends to be more CPU-limited and RAM-limited if you have a decent card.

Comment

Working...
                        X