How loud are hard drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How loud are hard drives?

I'm considering buying the new Shuttle SB61G2. I know one of the points of the Shuttle is that it is quiet. How loud is a Wester Digital 7200rpm hard drive? Would I be better off buying a Seagate Barracuda or will the WD not make too much noise?

HDD's usually aren't 'loud' but they can be slightly annoying if your the kind of person thats always in swap, and have the beast gringing 24*7. Short answer no, HDD's are not loud. Not at all when compared to a decent HSF.

Comment

IMO the WD's produce about the same amount of noise as Seagates do (Maxtors and IBM's for that matter as well, unless they're diein' of course).

Comment

The WD SE drives produce up to 36 db of noise when in use. There is a maxtor drive that produces a bit less noise, though it is up to a max of 40 gig and a 1 year warranty. I forget the name of it though.

I've found the WD SE series to be quieter than IBM's, but am unaware of the volume of the Seagate.

The WD Raptor drive (10k rpm, 36 gig, 5 year warranty, Sata) is around 34 db while in use whic makes for a pretty noticeable nise difference.

Comment

XBOY saw your sig

[CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Palomino?

I didnt think theres a 2200 palamino, i know this is way off topic?

Comment

I didn't think so either, but on my order form it said Palomino. That's strange, do you think it's really a thoroughbred?

EDIT: Lol I am a dumbass, it is a thoroughbred! Stupid order form... stupid me!

Comment

Originally posted by XBoy
              I didn't think so either, but on my order form it said Palomino. That's strange, do you think it's really a thoroughbred?

EDIT: Lol I am a dumbass, it is a thoroughbred! Stupid order form... stupid me!
              LOL

Comment

i think all modern hdd's are fairly quite. luck of the draw says you may get one with a high pitch (annoying) whine or may develop one shortly after installation but may be drowned out with fan noise. the seagates with the hydrolic?? option do seem to be very quiet. you can enable acoustic management in the hdd which helps but you take a little performance hit. the comp is as quiet as the loudest component.

Comment

Working...
                X