Maxtor is dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maxtor is dead!

Maxtor kinda sucks. I slapped one in an external usb casing and put up to store some backups. The owner of the website www.dragonsteelmods.com says that his maxtor COMBUSTED and incinerated his data. I hurriedly took off my backup and never used it again.

IBM "Deathstar" and Travelstar also sucks. I got a travel star in my lappy and it goes like slow and its 1A power drain kills my battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Amd_Lover2004 View Post
      I have had more problems with Samsung drives(though older 20GB and lower) than with Maxtor Drives. The two 20GB ones have been running forever without problems, the 40GB is still running strong, and the 120GB in my main machine is still working fine.
      I did have a problem a while back with a 120 or 160GB SATA drive from Maxtor which I returned because I couldnt install windows on it at all. I got a 250GB IDE drive from WD instead.

I still have a working 500MB drive from WD in the PII 233 as well as an assortment of sub 5GB ones aswell.

I kinda have problems in my 40G Spinpoint for being slow as well. Works fine though.

Comment

I don't know why seagate need maxtor, I like seagate always.

Comment

They'll probably give them to their employees and "dominoes with storage capabilities" all Maxtors are really useful for.. i put a 10month 160gb IDE in my pc and it wouldn't notice it despite i've put in old Quantum 2.34gb's and Seagate 2gb's... it's in my brother's pc now... i've always prefered Seagate unless of course i have the money to buy a raptor....

Comment

Wel let me tell you guys somthin.

I have owned roughly 4 maxtor drives in 15 years and well all off them last 4+ years and only gave upo when the electronics did. Electronics are not designed to last forever. so get over it.

Maxtor were a great brand. I never had an issue with em and most of the systems I installed maxtor drives in had little to no problems .

Comment

Originally posted by anthw27 View Post

I have owned roughly 4 maxtor drives in 15 years and well all off them last 4+ years and only gave upo when the electronics did. Electronics are not designed to last forever. so get over it.

Maxtor were a great brand. I never had an issue with em and most of the systems I installed maxtor drives in had little to no problems .

Well either your case/s has/have had good ventilation around the drives or you've just had plain good luck as personally from a repairer's viewpoint they're about as bad as old IBM drives (unless good airflow is provided but then some luck helps there as well).

Comment

Originally posted by anthw27 View Post

Electronics last a lot longer than mechanical parts for obvious reasons, on average. Which is the main reason Solid state will be standard in the next 5 years or so.

Now that i think about it, I have a couple 15 year old PCs that work fine...except for the mechanical HDD that gave up a decade a go :P

I myself expect a HDD to last alot longer than 4 years, I guess i've been lucky...I haven't had any brand drive fail on me in the last 8 years or so. I still have a 4gb segate layin around somewhere that still works lol.

Comment

lol - was wondering what happened to Maxtor - didn't know they'd been bought out.

I've never had a failure with Maxtor hdds, even with one or two that are about 6-7 years old now.
                  i7 3770k (1.6-4.2 GHz) / Hydro H100i / Asus P8Z77-V Premium / 16GB DDR3 2400 Team Group Xtreem Frostbite CL10 RAM / XFX 7990 / 250GB Sansung 840 Evo / 2 x 3TB Seagates in RAID-1 / 1TB Seagate for storage / Corsair HX750 / HAF932 / BenQ XL2411T monitor / CM Storm Trigger brown keyboard & Storm Recon mouse
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  Despite having a GNVQ Intermediate and an AVCE Advanced in IT and ICT, I consider myself a noob with computers now as they are more advanced than I can deal with

Comment

Maxtors biggest problem is their drives are slow, so very slow!

Last I used is 10 years ago...and back then Maxtor were the slowest hdds on the market
                    Last edited by PhenomII Dude; 11-28-2009, 07:52 PM.
                    X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
                    AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
                    Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 - 16GB Kit
                    GV-RX570AORUS-4GD
                    1x 970 SSD / 2x SSHD 1TB Seagate
                    Win10x64

Comment

Had a couple of Maxtor drives die ... had a couple of Seagates die .... no big deal. Most mechanical drives will eventually die. As far as Maxtors being slow hmmm .... . I guess a 10 year old Maxtor running at 5400 rpm and a 2 mb cache would be slower than todays drives with 7200 rpm (or 10,000) and 32 mb cache (not to mention platter densities, etc.). No big shock. The reality is that Maxtor drives were just as fast as other comparable drives in their day.
                      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I remember spending 400 USD on two 20GB drives when they first came out. At the time they were the fastest consumer drive available. This was also right around the time someone hacked the Promise PATA 100 card to the RAID version which meant you could run RAID 0 for like 40-50 Dollars (they were just starting to put RAID on motherboards). RAID 0 20GB PATA 100 drives was the bomb setup at one time :)

Comment

i7 3770k (1.6-4.2 GHz) / Hydro H100i / Asus P8Z77-V Premium / 16GB DDR3 2400 Team Group Xtreem Frostbite CL10 RAM / XFX 7990 / 250GB Sansung 840 Evo / 2 x 3TB Seagates in RAID-1 / 1TB Seagate for storage / Corsair HX750 / HAF932 / BenQ XL2411T monitor / CM Storm Trigger brown keyboard & Storm Recon mouse
                          Despite having a GNVQ Intermediate and an AVCE Advanced in IT and ICT, I consider myself a noob with computers now as they are more advanced than I can deal with

Comment

wow only heard it here.
                            anyway, i dont use so it doesn't matter to me hehehe...

for me its WB, as my first choice
                            seagate as alternative.

thanks for the information though.
                            Windows XP Drivers | HP Drivers

Comment

It always amuses me, when the brand fanboys start saying their things about one brand being absolute junk and unreliable. Every brand of drive out there is pretty reliable. Every brand out there has had at one time or another, a faulty model that failed quickly for some reason.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X