Maxtor is dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor is dead!

Its not a rumor though. Seagate is buying out Maxtor for $1.9 billion.

Re: Maxtor is dead!

Hopefully this will improve the failure rate of Maxtor drives.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

This was a rumour about 5-6mths ago but became fact 1-2 months ago though.

Originally posted by ANZAC_ELITE
      Hopefully this will improve the failure rate of Maxtor drives.
      On the reliability of Maxtor HDD's, only IBM HDD's are worse (I havn't come across a Hitachi HDD yet, though IBM by another name and if you don't believe me just look at a couple of the HDD's chips, and atm I won't use any of them (I've had to change far to many of the first 2 out to even think about the 3rd name).

I'll keep on using WD HDD's 1st and Seagate HDD's 2nd (the use of the PC I'm building is the deciding factor between those 2).

Comment

I'm a WD fan as well, probably installed in excess of thirty of them and only had one failure, (which I strongly believe was operator fiddling, though he denies it, as they do) they are good solid dependable hdd's
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

I have had more problems with Samsung drives(though older 20GB and lower) than with Maxtor Drives. The two 20GB ones have been running forever without problems, the 40GB is still running strong, and the 120GB in my main machine is still working fine.
          I did have a problem a while back with a 120 or 160GB SATA drive from Maxtor which I returned because I couldnt install windows on it at all. I got a 250GB IDE drive from WD instead.

I still have a working 500MB drive from WD in the PII 233 as well as an assortment of sub 5GB ones aswell.

Comment

Comparing Seagate or WD to Maxtor, I haven't had any problems other than normal wear & tear with Maxtors IDE drives. Although I've had 3 Maxtor 160 GB (DMax9) sata drives go bad on me within the 1st year of use, it makes me wonder if their sata drives, atleast that type, was a rushed product.

Comment

I swore off Maxtor drives about 4 years ago. Set up a ~40 PC school lab with a single lot of Maxtor HDDs and was embarrased, ashamed and reputationally dishonored when 15 of them failed within 2 months . I'll never install anything but WD drives again.

Comment

The failure rate of different brands of HDDs are all fairly close (within one or two percent). The rate iirc was around 3%.

15 failing within 2 months is just weird, I'm sure any company would have liked to know serial numbers (to determine manuf run) and would quickly replace them.

Comment

Waht kind of warranty does maxtor have if the drive fails?

Comment

I looked at Newegg and almost all the Maxtor hd's had a 3 year warranty. There was one that had a 5 year and another that had a 1 year.

Back to the problem at hand: Maxtor hd's fail very often and are unreliable. Some have had some good results, but the other half have had or are going to have a failure.

My suggestion; stay away from Maxtor and go with the brands that have been proven to work!

Comment

i had maxtor 60gb with my first pc. it went down the crapper after 4 years of usage and didn't fail on it's own. kinda user error but i don't want to talk about it ;)
                      i heard that many maxtors die frequently but as you see i was lucky enough...

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                        I looked at Newegg and almost all the Maxtor hd's had a 3 year warranty. There was one that had a 5 year and another that had a 1 year.

Back to the problem at hand: Maxtor hd's fail very often and are unreliable. Some have had some good results, but the other half have had or are going to have a failure.

My suggestion; stay away from Maxtor and go with the brands that have been proven to work!
                        I agree, I am lucky never to have used maxtor! Thanks for the warning, now i will never use one. I have always been a WD guy anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
                          On the reliability of Maxtor HDD's, only IBM HDD's are worse ...I'll keep on using WD HDD's 1st and Seagate HDD's 2nd (the use of the PC I'm building is the deciding factor between those 2).
                          I dont know about the IBM stigma...
                          I have used IBMs both at home and in the work I do...

I have has much worse experience with Seagate and Maxtors than the IBMs

Although I have to say I would buy WD for not having to worry about anything...

I still have a 120GB IBM Deskstar which still works like a champ although by todays standard it is slow...

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by mlakrid
                            I dont know about the IBM stigma...
                            I have used IBMs both at home and in the work I do...

I have has much worse experience with Seagate and Maxtors than the IBMs

Although I have to say I would buy WD for not having to worry about anything...

I still have a 120GB IBM Deskstar which still works like a champ although by todays standard it is slow...

Cheers!
                            Deskstar aka deathstar.there slow yes and some doa.wd and seagte only for quality\speed.
                            Stacker830 Watercooled
                            windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                            Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                            8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                            Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                            13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                            (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                            biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                            xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                            sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                            co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                            Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                            Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

I wonder what Seagate will do with all the extra hds they get? Are they gonna slap on seagate logos and sell them?
                              Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
                              Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
                              CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
                              CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
                              GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Comment

Working...
                              X