Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop 6.8 ghz CPU and "quantum optical" drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop 6.8 ghz CPU and "quantum optical" drive?

This is a company called Atom Chip corporation that CLAIMS to have a notebook with a 6.8 ghz CPU and "quantum optical" hard drive with a terabyte of storage that accesses information much faster than hard drives now.

It seems that they are saying that not only do they have a 6.8 ghz CPU which is currently faster than anything Intel or AMD produce, but they also have this new "quantum optical" hard drive with a terrabyte of information that "supposedly" accesses information faster than any hard drive now on the market because it does not store information the same way a regular hard drive does. I am guessing that this new hard drive will be faster than even 10,000 RPM hard drives like the western Digital SATA?

One question....is this TRUE or just a LIE?

Here is the link:
    (just scroll down to look at pictures of the features....funny though, how the CPU drive has the cover on it, so there is no way to tell WHAT their CPU chip looks like....just an observation)

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page4.html
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Re: Laptop 6.8 ghz CPU and "quantum optical" drive?

This part is the on I'm having trouble buying. For starters, a 6.8GHz CPU is pretty incredible, and I'm sure it's too good to be true. I bet that on-chip RAM it's supposed to have replaced L1 and L2 cache entirely, which might negate the use of the RAM and of a 6.8GHz CPU. Still, at 6.8GHz the performance would probably be pretty damn good. I don't quite buy it though. It can use four 1.7GHz P4 Xeons or a single 6.8GHz chip-that-I've-never-heard-of? Sounds to me like it's just a quad- or at least dual-core CPU with the clock speeds added together, which makes it a lot more believable, though not unimpressive, given that it's not from AMD, Intel, or even Transmeta or Via. Hell, it might even be a four-way system made with custom processors. I think this because it's capable of having room for four CPUs and it's also limited to 6.8Ghz, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

What's more impessive and leaves me with less questions is the use of a 2TB RAM drive. It's quite believable, but still impressive. The first consumer solution for a physical RAM drive is Gigabyte's i-RAM, which last time I checked wasn't really available at retailers, though that may have changed. However, that uses a SATA interface and only goes up to 4GB. The part that's only a little unbelievable about this AtomChip drive is that it's two TB. I might believe a 2TB solid-state hard drive if it were custom built for a Cray supercomputer, but a friggin notebook from a company I don't recall having ever heard of is stretching it.

I'd suggest you just look up this thing via Google to see if any reputable hardware sites think it's legit. I can't be bothered to, but by the looks of it it's either BS or worded to make it sound a lot better than it actually is.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 09-08-2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah, another place I posted this on said that there was no way win xp could handle that much memory! They also said the numbers do not match up with the text on the win xp screenshot. But the big question is why would a company go through all this trouble to hype something that is fake? What is the point?
      Here are my specs:
      System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Sounds like BS to me as well.

Oh, and WinXP will only address 16GB of memory. Not an issue nowadays since a vast majority of motherboards will only handle 4GB tops.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Well, I have had Quantum HD before. That name does exist. Of course it was like a 1 GB hard drive 10 years ago. Something like that is simply not possible without the help of biological agents and some sort of super cooling device. If the machine was submerged in an oil-based coolant to -50C then it still couldn't happen. Even if the gov't or tech corporations are holding back their product(which they are it just isn't that far advanced) something like that couldn't be held at bay. And the fact that the best ram it uses is 200 pin SODIMM (1GB for $6??). Plus it's a waste because there's no software except a Cray that would utilize that power.

That website is also garbage. If they could afford the research and capital they would have a decent website that doesn't look like 14 year old school girl hippies made an AOL homepage about poetry. I hate hippies.

Oh and by the way, there is no video card.
          Last edited by eat@joes; 09-08-2005, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
              Oh, and WinXP will only address 16GB of memory. Not an issue nowadays since a vast majority of motherboards will only handle 4GB tops.
              A 32-bit processor can only handle four GBs, so unless that 6.8GHz is actually quad-core something, there is indeed no way it can handle it, unless they actually run XP Pro-64 and it's a 64-bit processor.

Also, I forgot to talk about that battery life quote. That's one of the more rediculous parts. Eight hours of battery life isn't possible on a Celeron/Pentium-M notebook if it's left idle the whole time, regardless of what other hardware. These guys would have to have made some huge advancements in battery life for this thing to work.
              Last edited by Yawgm0th; 09-08-2005, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Actually You are ALL incorrect, It is NOT false. Look at it, It does not have a harddrive. Its using nano technology. What it actually does, is Uses the max memory size for windows which is 16GB, and it frees up sectors on the 1TB for it, It uses some sort of co-processor.. Its complicated. You guys don't read at all, even if you didn't read, why would they make a huge page on specs and this and that for a lie or fake. Oh and It is Using the 64bit version of Windows Read on guys, its in the middle of the page. Its Hong Kong baby, Nano technology is the future!
                Last edited by NitOxYs; 11-03-2005, 05:20 PM.

Comment

"In order for Windows XP to work properly with 64-bits, some structural changes were made. Simultaneously four identical copies of the Operational System work in the computer. AtomChip@co-processor counts all packets of RAM and summarizes all occupied and free registers. This information is entered into System Properties. All these innovations are covered with several new patents. After the release of patents the information will be published by the patent office."
                  Quoted from "http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page4.html"

Comment

lol
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

Its a laptop ffs leave it at that.

Comment

This thread should be taken out back behind the barn and have a bullet put between its' eyes. Even then I bet it would not die.
                        Last edited by casecutter; 12-18-2005, 10:31 AM.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate
                        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

It dies if you lock it up and leave it alone indefinitely.

Comment

Working...
                          X