No announcement yet.

Amd Hammer Socket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that hammer will have longer stage pipelines to promote higher clock speeds. But this will make the processor a bit slower. Do you think they will make them big enough to have as high clock speeds as pentium 4 and make it as slow as a pentium 4? Or would it just be a little bit longer to make athlon have higher speeds and still intel raping processor?

Comment

The initial pre-production CPU's that were sent out to chipset, motherboard and systems manufacturers were locked at 800MHz but these were giving P4 1.6GHz processors a run for their money by all reports. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

ya that's pretty much what I heard. And if what AMD says is true (Athlon THunderbird 1.4GHz is 33% faster then Pentium 4 1.7GHz) that would mean that the new hammer is about twice the speed of my current processor? Now that is what I call rape.

Comment

they need to release some special prerelease chips to the public to buy. i know i would fork over the cash to get one

Comment

apparently, clawhammer is being produced at a PR rating of 3000+ and might be called Athlon ST .....here's the link i found.

SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Originally posted by SegiY
              I've seen a pic of AMD's socket 748 (or something?) that could be for it, makes sense.
              There is a whole lota pins on that thing.
              judging by the figures. the clawhammer and sledgehammer leap will have intel quick thinking once again. This may be where AMD fans find a true leap in overclockability. Clawhammer = 754 pins
              SledgeHammer = 940 pins
              concurrent Athlon Thunderbird based upon the 462 socket pins. I think it will be interesting to see how the clawhammer and sledgehammer are manufactured.

Comment

I'm fairly sure the 'sledgehammer' is just going to be the AMD counterpart of the p4 XEON, which means it will be very expensive and not really for the individual user...

Comment

zeradul it not only targets Intel's P4 Xeon (32bit) but also their Itanium (64bit) as well, bang on two fronts. :D

Comment

yeah this should be good enough to finally get amd ahead of intel lets hope:cheers:

Comment

Nonetheless, my point is still valid.
                      ...which means it will be very expensive and not really for the individual user...

Comment

Us lesser ppl will just have to put up with "Clawhammer" instead but then AMD plans to undercut Intels prices so who knows. :D

Comment

they better cause prices on intel are too high the XP2000 just went under 100 USD on pricewatch.com

Comment

Yes the price just dropped right across the AMD range so don't be surprised if a faster Athlon is here next week. ;)

Comment

is ther anything relevant about the 400 mhz fsb on the athlon like the 2400+

Comment

Nope even though we'd like to see a 333MHz though. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X