Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help on witch chipset/memory type to use with P4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to follow your example and start with 256 mb, (2x128).
    I guess your right about gaming and that 256 mb won't last long.
    But when it comes to clean benchmarks, do you really need more than 256 mb no mather what os you run to get as high performance ass possible at the current system speed?
    Of course XP is more demanding than for example 98se, but i also heard that XP is written and configured for the p4 series of computers and that you'll loose performance if you use some other version than just XP on a p4 based system... What is your opinion on this matter? /Thx

:rolleyes2

Comment

A rewiew of the board that i found here on tweaktown:

Strengths:
      Includes lots of extras; widely compatible with add-on products. Intelligent heat dispersion setup. Outstanding BIOS features.

Weaknesses:
      Somewhat cramped when add-ons are placed.

Summary:
      I'm extremely pleased with this board, which has solved my system compatability issues. I had started a new system with the Intel D850EMV2L board, which would not work with my Promise FastTrak TX/2000 PCI RAID controller, had no frills, and a faulty HDD activity LED attachment. Spent much too much time trying to resolve that issue, and finally returned that board and bought this one instead.
      This board had no problem with the RAID card, and bundles LOTS of extras, like extra USB ports, a game port, computer-voice reporting of POST errors and processes, flexible overclockability, and well-designed layout for heat dissipation. For example, the 4 RDRAM RIMM slots are not all right next to each other (and those get very hot). They also include an S/PDIF out module, extra audio hook-ups, and a bunch of connectors for things I didn't even know existed.

:geek:

Comment

For the Benchmark i would say it will make a nice difference, not that huge but not bad tho.

When i were using only 256 megs RDRAM, i've been unable to push my system at a higher score than 8200 and somes, in 3d mark 2001 and now i got my extra 256 for a total of 512 i got almost 9000 with my system configured in a bad way lots of stuff installed or just corrupt. So i think the number speak by themself, the difference is there, now just need to know if the difference is big enough for you spending the extra 170$ Can for it. To it was really apreciated cause i'm beta testing Games not even about to come out so i need this extra power. That's way i gonna continue my upgrade to a 2.2ghz P4 with a Radeon 9700 as soon as it gonna be released.

Hope you'll enjoy your new computer. I like mine a lot just need to get faster gear to finish my system as i want it. But don't be a freak like who will change 7-8 times his Video card in a year just try them!!!

Good luck and continue learning before buying.

Comment

wow how could i have put all those typo in this short text!! hehe

Comment

Just added some stuff in my signature

Comment

Working...
            X